Tools of the trade

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
rmcellig

Tools of the trade

#1 Post by rmcellig »

I have been using Puppy 5.2.8 for almost all of what I want to do with it. Coming from the Mac side (since 1988), Puppy has been an eye opener for me in a positive way! I'm still learning and as always, I am SO thankful for the help and assistance from this forum.

I have tried other distros but so far Puppy is the only one that installs quickly, is super quick to use and back up. I love those features!

Here are the tools I use in my everyday computer stuff. Aside from the obvious using the internet via my browser of choice, here goes:

browser: doesn't really matter to me
arecord (command line tool)
asunder
audacity
avidemux
ffconvert
filezilla

That's about it for my day to day arsenal of tools.

What are you using in your everyday Puppy computer life?

battleshooter

Re: Tools of the trade

#2 Post by battleshooter »

rmcellig wrote: I have tried other distros but so far Puppy is the only one that installs quickly, is super quick to use and back up. I love those features!
Pretty much sums up why I use Puppy too :)

Programs I like to use:

Tools
Gimp
Kdenlive
Audacity
Pfind
Amarok
XChat
Paco (Brilliant for packaging!)
Recreational ;)
ZSNES
Mupen64Plus
ePSXe
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

stu90

#3 Post by stu90 »

Things i tend to always have open / running:

Mplayer
Terminal
Text editor
Web browser

Im always tweaking and changing things so use a lot of bash scripts for various tasks as well.

Monsie

Tools of the trade

#4 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

Here's my top five in the correct order, I think...
  • Browser,
    Text editor,
    Terminal,
    mtpaint,
It's nice to know that Puppy is not shy of programs or features even if I don't make use of them all of the time.... Plus there is a wealth of extra utilities, games, and other software available on the Forum thanks to the interest, involvement, and dedication on the part of many hard working people who make up our community. 8)

I am sometimes amazed at what is available for Puppy...

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Colonel Panic

#5 Post by Colonel Panic »

Good thread.

Here are mine (there are quite a few);

Browser (usually Opera plus either Firefox or Seamonkey)
File manager (Midnight Commander, plus a graphical one such as either Rox or Thunar)
Utility for burning data and ISOs to CD or DVD
Text editor (Geany's pretty good although I'd prefer one with a spell checker like Textpad for Windows)
Word processor; Abiword does pretty much everything I want
Spreadsheet; Gnumeric likewise
Image viewer; gqview or geeqie is fine
Multimedia player like xmms or gxine
Graphical calculator like GCalcTool or Calcoo
PDF file reader like epdfview
Database (Portabase is excellent for what I need).

That's it really. I play the occasional game and sometimes do some picture editing (almost never anything mtpaint can't handle).
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Mon 16 Jul 2012, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

linuxbear

#6 Post by linuxbear »

on my E17 shelf are two browsers, a file manager (dolphin) and a terminal icon. That gives you an idea of what I use most often.