Realtek 8188eu WiFi Driver for Various Puppies

rcrsn51

Realtek 8188eu WiFi Driver for Various Puppies

#1 Post by rcrsn51 »

Project withdrawn.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 01 Mar 2018, 12:24, edited 8 times in total.

april

#2 Post by april »

Thanks for your work on these drivers . It is appreciated .Just wanted to let you know that

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

I'll second April on this one. It is very much appreciated; if it weren't for you, Bill, I suspect well over half the Forum membership wouldn't be getting online.....

Mike. :wink:

Smithy

#4 Post by Smithy »

RCRN51's Links are dead?
I have tried the built in drivers for the Realtek r8188eu, in Dpup,Tahrpup, up to Xenial, and none of them will produce anything from a scan?
Incredible, Barry's SNS always just works normally!
Would these pets do the job, (if found again)?
I did read somewhere that the power saving element is the problem, but not sure. Any help much appreciated.
Attachments
image-2.png
(18.18 KiB) Downloaded 1059 times
image-1.png
(42.86 KiB) Downloaded 1084 times
Last edited by Smithy on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.

ally

#5 Post by ally »

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, smithy.

I've a feeling rcrsn51 is no longer with us. He hasn't been online for nearly 6 months, and a lot of these file-sharing sites will delete stuff due to inactivity. I know Bill's been in the habit of taking sabbaticals before now.....but never usually for quite this long.

Of course, it's always possible that he deliberately deleted everything.

What was it you wanted the 8188eu for? I do have a few versions of it, kicking around.....though Tahrpup should have it built-in. Let me know what you need, and I'll have a dig around & see what I've got.

Smithy

#7 Post by Smithy »

Thanks Ally, will try those pets and see if I can kick it into life.

Mike, yes I've not seen him for ages on here, I do hope he's okay, he's been great on this forum. I just got a few of these little dongle things to replace me big Belkin dongle, because they said 300mbs on them :)
The puppies do seem to have the firmware file in them already, but..no scan.

There's quite a few ubuntu users having to jump through many hoops to get them going, but usually at puppy, you just give the fender a good kick and the equipment bursts into life.

Will report back if those pets work.

EDIT: A couple of quick and dirty tests on Xenial and Tahrpup 602 replacements,
the modules are still not producing any results from a network scan.
Bah.
Barry, if you are around could you tell what's wrong?

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Smithy.

Have you followed Bill's instructions from the Ist post? If you're going to use the k3.14.20 Tahrpup .pet, you might need to blacklist the in-kernel module first. Only after you've done that should you then load the .pet, do a re-boot, and try again.

Tahrpup 6.0, back in Nov '14, was the very first Pup that would run on my old Dell lappie OOTB. At the time I was using one of these:-

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/TL-WN725N.html

.....out of necessity. The Inspiron 1100 didn't come with built-in wifi.....unlike its 'big brother', the 5100, which did. So it was dongle or nothing; I wasn't going to run an enormously long ethernet cable down to the bottom of the back garden..!

It uses the 8188 chipset, and Tahr has the driver for it built-in. You may find that you get better results if you use 'Dougal's' Network Wizard; I remember at some point in the proceedings, a window pops-up and asks if you want to add the r8188eu module to the 'recognised' module list. After you've done that, it's straight-forward. Set it up with Dougal's, then after a re-boot, you can switch back to using SNS if you prefer.

Give that a try, and let me know how you get on.

april

#9 Post by april »

The drivers are kernel dependent

I have one for 3.9 and 3.2 8192cu
I'll try to post the pet files too but they are cu
You have to blacklist the existing driver rtl8192 whatever
Attachments
8192cu-k3.2.29.pet
(216.57 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
8192cu_precise571-k3.9.11.pet
(253.38 KiB) Downloaded 291 times

Smithy

#10 Post by Smithy »

Well I compiled one (several actually) for dpup 3.5.2.11 but not sure about the github repo (vermagic report) and whether it does kernel 3.5.2 .

Couldn't find the Realtek source original and the one on the product disc had android source crap on it,

The best one out of the lot is precise, it actually shows usb bus+description in Barry's SNS.

Tahrpup and Xenial were a bit funny, but worked,

So great thanks for the help!

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Smithy.

Ah, that's good to hear. Glad you got it sorted.

Have a good Xmas, and a Happy New Year to you, mate!

perdido

#12 Post by perdido »

Smithy wrote:Well I compiled one (several actually) for dpup 3.5.2.11 but not sure about the github repo (vermagic report) and whether it does kernel 3.5.2 .

Couldn't find the Realtek source original and the one on the product disc had android source crap on it,

The best one out of the lot is precise, it actually shows usb bus+description in Barry's SNS.

Tahrpup and Xenial were a bit funny, but worked,

So great thanks for the help!
Hello Smithy,

The working network driver you compiled, I can give it a home on the web if you can make it available somewhere, all working drivers
are important and would be a shame to lose it.

april

#13 Post by april »

perdido wrote:The working network driver you compiled, I can give it a home on the web if you can make it available somewhere, all working drivers
Where are they available thanks perdido?

perdido

#14 Post by perdido »

april wrote:
perdido wrote:The working network driver you compiled, I can give it a home on the web if you can make it available somewhere, all working drivers
Where are they available thanks perdido?
I was asking for a copy of his compiled driver to make it available.

Are you searching for a particular realtek driver?

april

#15 Post by april »

No I have them for mine but I wondered if you were making them public as I will need a new one for the next kernel update it seems

Smithy

#16 Post by Smithy »

Hi Perdido, I've put the Realtek 8188eu pet up at Smokey's.
It's for the Kernel 3.5.2.
If anyone is using wheezy and has these little wireless dongles it would be good to know if it works, and hopefully hasn't blown their system up! Salute.

http://smokey01.com/Smithy/realtek-8188eu-k3.5.2.pet

jd7654

#17 Post by jd7654 »

Pleasantly surprised these worked great on an old non-wifi laptop running Slacko 5.9.3 and Wary 5.5.

This rtl8188eu chipset seems to be problematic in just about all Linux versions, at least the adapters I have. These are the cheap chinese USB adapters you can get on eBay for under $1 .(with shipping!) The more expensive and harder to find 8188/8192cu always works fine though.

Previously was trying with Slacko 6.3.2, but ran into the old low signal power problems that most people seem to see, where is scans but fails to connect or disconnects every few seconds. I was finally able to find a replacement that did stay connected though. But Slacko 6.3.2 has a buggy Suspend on this laptop and hangs.

Decided to try these. Didn't think it would work on a kernel as old as Wary, but the .pet worked just fine.

april

Pod file on your page

#18 Post by april »

Smithy
I followed the link above and noticed a "pod" file came up . Could you tell me what it is and how it is used?

Smithy

#19 Post by Smithy »

April, a .pod file is a file for the multitrack digital audio and midi application Podium. I think I was testing it out and wrote a cover version of Kraftwerk's Model.

You'd be very lucky to pick up a signal with that :)