Connecting to the internet - Slacko 5.3.3 (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
LeithR

Connecting to the internet - Slacko 5.3.3 (Solved)

#1 Post by LeithR »

I'm having problems with my Slacko 5.3.3. intallation on a Compaq Presario 2100.
Last night I started off my machine which has a full implementation on it, its connected to my router by cable so using eth0 connection, GRUB ran then I started seeing error messages between the start up stage messages. These error messages read along the lines of
[ 4.xxxxxxxxxxx then Ext2-fs (sda1): error ext_lookup deleted inode referenced 610 ]

There are maybe 100 of these error messages interspersed between the 4 or 5 start up stage messages.

The machine starts up and I can see my normal desktop, the only difference being that the active interfaces icon in the lower toolbar has a small red X in the flatscreen element of the icon and when I haver the mouse it comes up with a message "Active interface: none Click this icon for network set up)

Clicking on the icon brings up the simple network set up screen with the status saying that there is no internet connection with no interface details.

I then go to the setup> Internet connection Wizard
Now I have tried all three approaches the simple, Frisbee and BK's. Frisbee the last approach tried comes up with the most information the timed messages indicate that
version 5.2.9 is starting
no valid interfaces found
forking to background
forked to background, child pid 9641(/var/run/dhcpcd.pid)
sending signal 1 to pid 9641
waiting for pix 9641 to exit
receiving SIGHUP, releasing

I've done all the obvious stuff like switching off and resetting my router, changing ports on the router and changing the interface cable between Laptop and router.

I also checked the system out with a live CD start up and everything works fine. I really don't want to rebuild this machine as I use this daily and have a lot of very useful bookmarks which I would loath to lose.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm sending this message from my old Lucid Puppy machine.

Thanks
Last edited by LeithR on Mon 14 Jan 2013, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

L18L

Re: Connecting to the internet - Slacko 5.3.3

#2 Post by L18L »

LeithR wrote:...These error messages read along the lines of
[ 4.xxxxxxxxxxx then Ext2-fs (sda1): error ext_lookup deleted inode referenced 610 ]

There are maybe 100 of these error messages interspersed between the 4 or 5 start up stage messages....
start your live CD
puppy pfix=ram

then type

Code: Select all

fsck /dev/sda1
into a console and press Enter key.

Hope that helps :)

LeithR

#3 Post by LeithR »

hi there L18L,
Thanks for your response. One question, where do I enter puppy pfix=ram? when I run the live CD it runs all the way thru to bringing up my desktop page.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

There is a five second initial pause when the CD boots. Type it then.

LeithR

#5 Post by LeithR »

hi there rcrsn51,
thanks for the pointer, it worked a treat. Thanks both to you and to L18L. My sick little puppy is now better.