Many problems with 108

Booting, installing, newbie
ujhermans

Many problems with 108

#1 Post by ujhermans »

Hello everyone.
I downloaded puppy 1.0.8. and have a number of problems with it. If someone would be so kind and assist me in sorting them out, please. Thank you.

First: I noticed that in Gaby, clicking on "List", I cannot see any notes made under the heading "(More...)". Can that be changed? If so, how?

Second: I cannot play ordinary Music CD's. If I click in Xine under "File" on CD I do get a message telling me:
Unknown host: unable to resolve freedb.freedb.org
or it tells me:
xine engine failed to start.
No demuxer found - stream format not recognized.
So, how do I get puppy to play a CD?

Third: Since Sylpheed does neither have a Junk mail facility, nor have a spell check, I consider it useless, because English is my second language and I find I do need both features,like I need to breath. So I decided to download Sylpheed Claws, because it offers both. I downloaded Claws it into "my downloads" and expanded it into "my applications" but I cannot make it work. What are the steps needed to do that?

Fourth: Hand in Hand with my third problem goes this one. I find that clicking onto the Console and typing "commands" in, like the once given in Sylpheed Claws the only respond I ever get is:
command not found - or it tells me
no such file or directory

This is what I tried to enter:
% ./configure ( after I type enter, the console answers with - no such job)
% make
% su
Password: [Enter password]
# make install
What am I doing wrong there? (sorry, it's the first time I am using a console)

Fifth: there are two annoying features in Puppy. It concerns the opening of windows. One of them is the "Dial Up Window".
If I click onto the "dial up icon" the window will open right on top of the icon and cover almost all the other icons. I would like to change that and have the window open either in the center of the screen or in the right upper corner (not covering any of those icons already there). The other is this one:
If I try to save a document and click onto "save the document under a different name" than "browse for other folders" the window will open in the lower right corner in such a way that it is necessary to shift the entire window to the center of the screen in order to be able to click the "OK" button.
Now, how can I change the default settings for the opening of those windows?

Sixth: I can not get puppy to burne a "backup CD" with bkup2cd. If I click onto Start -Utilities - bkup2cd back up to cd - puppy apparently goes through the proper proceedings (even asking me whether to blank the CD) but nothing is being written to the CD. What can I do about that? The CD/DVD burner hard ware is ok, burnes well under windows.

Seventh: Probably for the same reason I also can't get Puppy to burne any data to a CD. Again it seems to find the CD but nothing is written to it. Any ideas?

Eight: I would like to know whether Barry would consider ( for a fee ) to create a custom Puppy CD for me? Its rather urgent. To this end I would like to get in touch with him on a personal basis in order to explain what I want. How do I get in touch with Barry?

Thank you for your help.
Ulrich

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

1. Click on Help/About in Gaby and have a look at the site, there should be some information there.

2. To play a CD run the Setup wizard for CD/DVD in :

Start/Setup and use Gplaycd CD song player.

3. & 4. Puppy 1.0.8 does not have the tools to compile programs so the commands are not recognised.
To find out how to compile programs for Puppy read the main Puppy page and headings on:

http://www.puppylinux.com/

5. The window manager controls the way windows open so you would need to go to the JWM forum to find out more about it.

6. If you go through the setup as in 2. you should be able to get your burner working.

7. You can send Barry a private message in this forum, read the FAQ for instructions.

ujhermans

#3 Post by ujhermans »

Thank you Ian for your help.

despite reading the FAQs as suggested, I could not figure out how to get in touch with Barry privatly.
Would you be so kind an send me his private email address to my email address. please, or alternativly ask him to get in contact with me? Thank you so much.

Regards
Ulrich

John Doe

#4 Post by John Doe »

See the button "PM" at the bottom of every post. Find a post from Barry and click "PM" at the bottom of his post.

MU

#5 Post by MU »

Sylpheed with english and german spellchecker:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=49580#49580
Gru