wifi beta corrupted

Booting, installing, newbie
maferkany

wifi beta corrupted

#1 Post by maferkany »

This call for help is probably redundant but hopefully I can be forgivenn as an eager but frustrated Windows refugee.

I am tantilizingly close to getting connected to my wireless LAN w/ Puppy but something isn't quite right. Everything in WAG is fine except wifi beta, which says 'corrupted.' I have combed my rc.local, rc.wireless and wireless.conf with a magnifying glass and can't seem to find anything wrong with them. At the same time, iwconfig and ifconfig show everything working fine, but when I try to ping my router nothing happens even though blinky and the router are happily blinking away. Is it possible I just have a routing problem (I'm certainly no network genius).

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Here's my setup:
- Puppy 1.0.8r1 on IBM Thinkpad 600E booting from HD.
- Linksys WPC11v.4, apparently working just fine with ndiswrapper
- wireless LAN WEP encrypted

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

BlackAdder

#2 Post by BlackAdder »

You may not need wifi beta if ndiswrapper is working okay for you. Wifi beta is essntially ndiswrapper with the drivers for a number of wireless adapters.

Can you ping addresses beyond your router? e.g. ping www.google.com. If not, your problem may be due to a missing route command. You should be able to walk around that if your router supports dhcp. Check if you get an IP address when you issue the following command from rxvt :

Code: Select all

dhcpcd -t 20 -d wlan0
That assumes that the wireless device is seen as wlan0.
The command should respond with your MAC address and - later - an IP address allocated by the router.
If it mumbles about stuff in /etc/dhcpc/, they are old process ids. You can get rid of them by:

Code: Select all

rm /etc/dhcpc/*.pid
I do not use WAG, so some of the above may be redundant.

Hope this helps.

maferkany

#3 Post by maferkany »

Thanks for your reply. Sadly my troubles continue. Wonder if ndiswrapper doesn't really work with this version of Linksys WPC11 (v.4)?

BlackAdder

#4 Post by BlackAdder »

Hmm! I have had a similar experience with a different adapter. It would almost work with ndiswrapper, and cause much fiddling and frustration.
This from the ndiswrapper wiki might provide a clue:
Card: Linksys #[WMP11 v4] 802.11b -- [link here|List#WMP11 v4]

* Chipset: InProComm? ?
* pciid: 17fe:2120
* Driver: Linksys ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/wmp11_v4_dr.zip
* Other: Debian Unstable/Sid with NdisWrapper 0.11. You must install all three inf files from the driver zip file (I had to force NDIS to load all three drivers for the one card with the -d option on each inf). Card works great, but WEP is untested. Works great on Slackware 10.1 with a 2.6.10 kernel, and Ubuntu Breezy using the latest version of NdisWrapper.

Recent Puppies include ndiswrapper 1.1, i.e. a later version than the one quoted.
It might be worth a try.

maferkany

#5 Post by maferkany »

Thanks for your efforts. I tried to load those other drivers but remained unsuccessful making that card work. Total bugger. But then I realized my wife has an old Orinoco that works with the Linux driver. Yay! Thanks again. :)