No Audio on ALC887?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
deamonknight

No Audio on ALC887?

#1 Post by deamonknight »

I have Puppy installed on my system but I cannot get the audio to work. in the process of trying to trouble shoot this I created a new problem. I set the tray volume control to a different device number (3) and now it won't show up at all.

I have an ASUS E35M1-M pro http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/produc ... templete=2 and I'm using Lucid Puppy 5.2.8. Any suggestions on how to get the audio running and get the volume control back?

Thanks
Jay

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Hi Jay- assuming this isn't the 5.2.8 you speak of, let's shoot for a down'n dirty fix.

Install this pet and the 004 instant update I've pm'd. Reboot'n see what shakes..

deamonknight

#3 Post by deamonknight »

Thanks for the help Semme but for a quick Sanity Check, I downloaded the latest Lucid Puppy from :
http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20L ... elease.htm
Download latest version of 5.2.8 from ibiblio.org: Get lupu-528.005.iso or explore the folder.
Before I install your fix, are we are talking about the same edition?

Thanks
Jay

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Correct. No update- just the pet..

If you run: alsaconf out of a shell does it list your card after building db or searching cards?

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

From menu->Help->LupuNews help
[quote]Sound muted on boot. Right-click the speaker icon in the system tray and choose Full Window. Enable Master, PCM, Front and any others that seem likely and also turn up the volume in each. This should fix things a good percentage of the time. If not, then please try Menu -> Setup -> Alsa Sound Wizard.

If no sound, open Menu -> Multimedia Tools -> Alsamixer (alsamixer, not alsawizard). Press F6 and that will show you what sound devices have been detected and configured. If yours is not the top one then arrow down and click it, then make sure everything plausible is turned up. I have to do this with my “second
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

deamonknight

#6 Post by deamonknight »

Looks like the patch got the audio working, but I still don't have a volume control on the taskbar, how do I fix that?

Thanks
-Jay

deamonknight

#7 Post by deamonknight »

Drat, it seems I spoke too soon. After I rebooted the audio stopped working.

dalebednell

No Audio on ALC887?

#8 Post by dalebednell »

Hi dude
Have you tried consul setvol then setvol 0 100 then setvol 5 100 100 this might help.

darkcity

#9 Post by darkcity »

If you change the device number in retrovol (volume control) you need to manually edit config file to get it back, for example-

open the /root/.retrovolrc file (this is hidden file, click the 'eye' icon on rox window to reveal)

modify the card line to hw:0, ie

Code: Select all

# Which soundcard to use
card=hw:0