PB-dict-dictionary - now with 76 databases (translation etc)

Programs intended to teach, or to help one learn or study a specific subject - this includes educational games.
otropogo

#31 Post by otropogo »

MU wrote:...
Please download and install again.

then create this textfile:
./root/pbdict2utf8.txt

It must have this line:

Code: Select all

zh_CN.utf8

now the dictd server will be forced, to use your chinese UTF8.
Great! Thanks.

Now I can search all the downloaded personal dictionaries, including eng-rus and deu-jap, offline, but only one at a time.

For some reason when I search with "Personal:All" the only words I can find are those in your deu-eng and eng-deu example files. Why is that?

MU wrote:I think to input chinese characters, you need scim-bridge.
See the localization forum:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=16

I think this is not trivial, the threads dealing with it, are very long :shock:
Thanks for the warning. I don't think I'll even go there...

I'd be happy just to be able to display Chinese characters properly in a browser when I visit Chinese websites. But it looks like that's also beyond Puppy's abilities.
MU wrote:For Puppy 3, you can extract the dotpup that I attach in /usr/lib/locale/.
It has then en_US.utf8.

Mark
Thanks. Will try to install it together with the latest version of pbdict on the laptop within the next week or so. I still haven't figured out how to use Stardict yet. For instance, can stardict translations be imported into pbdict personal dictionaries?.

I'm also curious - why does Puppy 4.0 include zh_CN.utf8 when there are no Chinese freedict dictionaries for it to display, and the browser isn't capable of displaying Chinese either?

MU

#32 Post by MU »

You must use
"All databases".

If you use:
Personal:All, then only the ones you created yourself are searched (those in /root).

If you use: "All databases", then the personal AND those downloaded to /usr/share are searched.
I still haven't figured out how to use Stardict yet. For instance, can stardict translations be imported into pbdict personal dictionaries?.
Yes, I think you did that already?
Ah no, that was Paulski, on the first page.

The help button explains, what to do.
I'd be happy just to be able to display Chinese characters properly in a browser when I visit Chinese websites. But it looks like that's also beyond Puppy's abilities.
I think you just need a chinese font.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=26978

Glad it works now.
Keep me informed about your experiences, please.
As I said, I don't use it myself, so I will add enhancements only on demand.
The more details are provided (as in the last messages), the easier it is for me, to reproduce what you want :)

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

otropogo

#33 Post by otropogo »

MU wrote:You must use
"All databases".

If you use:
Personal:All, then only the ones you created yourself are searched (those in /root).

If you use: "All databases", then the personal AND those downloaded to /usr/share are searched.
OK.

That leaves three problems:

1.How do I convert or import downloaded dictionaries to personal ones so that I can edit them by adding more words? I've tried simply copying and pasting the contents and that doesn't work.

2. I also need some way to limit the search to groups of dictionaries as the situation requires. For instance, I may want to search fra-deu, fra-eng, and fra-spa in some instances, and deu-eng, deu-fra in others.

3. It would be also be preferable, so long as I have to use the "all databases" setting, for this be be the default setting when I open pbdict, instead of having to open the drop down menu and select it from the middle of the list every time. Even better would be a preferences option to allow the user to rearrange the order of the dictionaries in the list, the way stardict does. Maybe the same input screen could be used to disable or enable any group of dictionaries for that session.

MU wrote:I think you just need a chinese font.
I wish. I've installed a number of fonts suggested by various people, and some didn't work at all, others worked only partly, and then stopped working after I installed Bluefish.

Glad it works now.
Keep me informed about your experiences, please.
Don't worry. I need to get this personal dictionary thing on the road soon. And unless I want to type everything in letter by letter, I have to figure out a way to get a compatible glossary for english-french legal terms that I can copy and paste into the personal files.

So you can be sure I'll be calling you for help again.

MU

#34 Post by MU »

1.How do I convert or import downloaded dictionaries to personal ones so that I can edit them by adding more words? I've tried simply copying and pasting the contents and that doesn't work.
Conversion only works with stardict dictionaries, as explained in the help.
But that is just intended to import them, not to edit them.

I'd suggest to seperate your personal entries from the downloaded ones.
Simply create a new personal textfile that uses the same syntax as the other ones.
Like eng-fra2.

Concerning the search in only some dictionaries:
At moment, I have no time to add this, but II'll add it to my todo list.
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

otropogo

#35 Post by otropogo »

MU wrote:
I'd be happy just to be able to display Chinese characters properly in a browser....
I think you just need a chinese font.
Thanks Mark. You finally found me a method that works. The only caveat being that for Puppy 4.0 the fonts go into

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/x11/x11/fonts/misc
Two unexpected benefits of this exercise are that I've learned that:

1. the Chinesesupport.pet is NOT required to display Chinese fonts in Seamonkey, the font installation method described in the URL above is all you need. and,

2. the Chinesesupport.pet DOES perform a vital function. After I uninstalled it with PETget, I found that I could no longer access the downloaded freedict dictionaries in PBdict's offline mode, only the personal dictionaries were available in the drop-down menu. This despite the fact that zh_CN.utf8 had not been removed by uninstalling the pet.

When I reinstalled Chinesesupport.pet, the downloaded freedict dictionaries reappeared in PBdict's offline menu.