Puppy Gnome 3.2 & 3.4.2 !!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Jejy69

#46 Post by Jejy69 »

Update !

Gnome 3.4.2 ! See the first post for a summary of news.
Space conquest!

Cheers !
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

Ray MK

#47 Post by Ray MK »

Puppy Gnome 3.2 & 3.4.2 !!Space conquest! - has landed

on my 10yr old Acer laptop - and I am very pleasantly surprised at how well it runs on such a ram-challenged contraption.

Thanks Jejy69 for such a nice Puppy - very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

starhawk

#48 Post by starhawk »

Trying this out, just for the sake of trying it :lol:

I think I like the other one better. This one has the same issues with network setup, but it also has an icon problem... the bottom tray is empty of icons, and the larger icons in the "Setup Puppy" (first-run splash screen) show up as blank.

...perhaps it's a graphics driver bug? I'm using the "intel" driver, laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6400 with chipset (integrated, Intel) graphics. The chipset (and therefore graphics processor) is a 945GM.

EDIT: ...actually, I think I like the /other/ GNOME puplet of yours better, anyway -- particularly based on how it works and how it looks. I'll stick to that one, then...

peebee

#49 Post by peebee »

starhawk wrote:Trying this out, just for the sake of trying it :lol:

I think I like the other one better. This one has the same issues with network setup, but it also has an icon problem... the bottom tray is empty of icons, and the larger icons in the "Setup Puppy" (first-run splash screen) show up as blank.

...perhaps it's a graphics driver bug? I'm using the "intel" driver, laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6400 with chipset (integrated, Intel) graphics. The chipset (and therefore graphics processor) is a 945GM.

EDIT: ...actually, I think I like the /other/ GNOME puplet of yours better, anyway -- particularly based on how it works and how it looks. I'll stick to that one, then...
Hi Jejy69

I have a bigger problem - also Intel grpahics - frugal install to my HP550 laptop - I just get an "Oh No! Something has gone wrong - can't recover - logout" screen.

Tried issuing xwin gnome-session from the terminal - same result...

Wonder what can be wrong???

Thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Jejy69

#50 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

Gnome 3.x is not yet perfect in Puppy, the fact to install the video driver actives Gnome shell which is not functional.
Indeed, Gnome shell requires hardware acceleration.

You can try the pet package below, this is the gnome fallback session. You'll be able to start Gnome 3.x without Gnome Shell.

Type in the console "xwin gnome-session-fallback".

Gnome shell is really hard to make it work...

peebee

#51 Post by peebee »

Jejy69 wrote:You can try the pet package below, this is the gnome fallback session. You'll be able to start Gnome 3.x without Gnome Shell.

Type in the console "xwin gnome-session-fallback".

Hi Jejy

Got a little further - to a desktop - with your pet but it still had significant problems....missing icons - strange colours (black on black is a bit difficiult to read) - refusal to shutdown etc etc.

Afraid that on my laptop at least this is the first of your splendid puplets that is unusable - precise-mate is definitely my favourite so far.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Jejy69

#52 Post by Jejy69 »

Oops... Many issues ! :mrgreen: I think Gnome 3.x is only to experiment...

Q5sys

#53 Post by Q5sys »

Jejy69 wrote:
Amen to that! I've been trying for over a year. Do you have a package list somewhere in the system so I can see what gnome packages you are using?
Also... have you had to modify any of the core puppy files to make gnome work?
Id appreciate a quick overview of what steps youve taken, because you've obviously solved some of the issues that I've had in trying to get it to work.

Pelo

Puppy-Gnome is born to be alive !

#54 Post by Pelo »

hello JeJy69. I'm now nearer of you (34340 O.M. Olympic de Marseillan). je suis sur PUPPY Gnome. You left Puppy or you are on some forum different from Medor one ?
Gnome-sound recorder functiona sin problema (works without any problem)
My records .ogg are ok. My main interest in using Puppies de habla espana is to study again Spanish and to rest from English boring speaking.
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 09 Aug 2014, 15:38, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

Viva España, Aquí vive el Puppy-gnome del francés

#55 Post by Pelo »

Totem on test bench, Vuelvo, je reviens, Puppy-Gnome is coming back.
Totem reads the video mp4 downloaded from you tube.
One would say Totem does not work with Puppy ?
Attachments
totem.jpg
(41.29 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 09 Aug 2014, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Rhythmbox saber leer audio files .ogg

#56 Post by Pelo »

I am checking all the applis. Gnome wouldn't be so bad ! Anyway Puppy-Gnome is a pretty Puppy, for VIP del Kingdom de España, o de catalogne. or de Navarre.
What interests me in particular is the system of multiple lists Rhythmbox, which lists one side artists, on the other albums, and, below, any securities. So with the search system is easy to select only some few artists or albums list some ...
Attachments
video.jpg
the menu changes from our classical apps. A french touch in a spanish cantina couldn't be bad for health.We try it.
(53.78 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
Rhythmbox.jpg
(53.68 KiB) Downloaded 418 times

Pelo

ver al sitio de habla iberica cambios 2015

#57 Post by Pelo »

ver al sitio de habla iberica cambios 2015 aqui
2015 : We still use Puppy Gnome (in spanish)