Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mikeslr

Finding Applications: LxPup and in general

#391 Post by mikeslr »

Hi mufeed2012,

Regarding the latest LxPup packages:
Although i'm currently not in LxPup at the moment, you should be able to get them by clicking Menu>Setup>Puppy Package Manager (or similar), then click Update or Configure>Update, and after it updates, exit and restart PPM.
On Jejy69 first post (Page 1 of this thread) there's a link to the applications on his Website: http://lxpup.weebly.com/applications.html
If you're using a Precise or retro-precise version of LxPup, since their based on precise Puppy, the applications for any Puppy based on Precise will also work. Following are the links to those applications. There may be others; and some such as on ibiblio from which those on AARNet are mirrored:
Pemasu's Precise Pets:
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages-upup/
Oldyeller's pets:
http://www.smokey01.com/Oldyeller/pet_packages-upup/
AARNet:
http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/quirky/ ... s-precise/

If, however, you're using an LxPup based on Slacko, you can also check out this link: http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/pet_packages-slacko/
Lastly, new applications are frequently posted to the additional software Sub-Forum: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=63. Each specific thread will tell you which puppy variants the applications will work with.
But, if your interested in any particular application, or categories of applications, you could always ask specifically about it or them, or type the name of an application and the puppy version into this search box https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643 ... #gsc.tab=0
mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Tue 15 May 2018, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.

cowboy

lxpup and precise ppm error

#392 Post by cowboy »

*redacted. moved onto precise thread.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

mufeed2012

#393 Post by mufeed2012 »

Hi Jejy69,
This is a suggestion for your new version of lxpup slacko:
It could be like Lubuntu 12.10 as in the screenshot given as an attachment.
The packages for the theme is in:

Wallpaper: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Artwork ... ripped.png

Menu Button:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Artwork ... button.png

Panel Background:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Artwork ... ground.png

Theme (GTK & Openbox):
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Artwork ... eme.tar.gz

Icons: I couldn't get it. So, use the package you've already got.

Thanks.

Jejy69

#394 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello all !

cowboy, thanks for your feedback, I am delighted that lxpup succeeded to attract. Knowing that this work is not useless is really rewarding for me.
To answer you, yes I'll update Lxpup to Precise 5.4.1, I'm uploading lxpup 12.12 Pae currently ! :D
I really worked on this for this version, I hope it will be appreciated as much as the previous ones.

mikeslr, thanks to answer to other, I'm glad to know that someone is there to help! Especially since your answer is really complete, I will not achieve the same precision. :)

mufeed2012, Lxpup 12.12 is based on the theme Elementary, better than Lubuntu, but similar....

I give news in some minutes, I wait the end of upload.

Jejy69

#395 Post by Jejy69 »

It's done !

Lxpup 12.12 PAE.
Ok, news...

Lxpup :
-New website, give your feedbacks please ! :)
-New appearance, Elementary theme.
-LxpanelX replace Lxpanel ( which always available ).
-Advanced locales : FR/EN/ES locales installed ( FR: Jean Jacques Moulinier; ES : Vicmz ). Thanks to him.
-Based on Precise 5.4's Pemasu, so many fix, apps added, and better kernel.
-Official Puppy menu ! All sub-categories ! We have a perfect menu now.
-Libs updated
-Rebuild = more compatibility ! Now, official precise's packages like Openshot's 666philb works directly, so I don't need to repackage some apps.
-Stability enhancement.
-Little things, I don't remember. :?

Packages:
1/Mate rebuild ! Mate's libs updated ! More apps installed with it, like the "Gnome system monitor", and MintMenu !!! Just more beautiful !
2/Cinnamon and Gnome 3 !!!
Gnome-shell and Gnome 2d available too for low PC ! Gnome-Shell works perfectly, SubMenus's Cinnamon fixed !
Added some apps like Marlin, Elementaryos'FM !
Best GTK3 integration.
3/Xfce 4.10, best menu, some fixes.

I will don't update KDE, 300mo SFS... Don't want, too massive, sorry.

I hope you'll enjoy this !

Jejy69

#396 Post by Jejy69 »

Please, see screenshots !

http://lxpup.weebly.com/discover.html

Cheers !

ASRI éducation

#397 Post by ASRI éducation »

Jejy69 wrote:It's done !
Lxpup 12.12 PAE.
Good new !!

pchan

#398 Post by pchan »

Jejy69,

no worries. You have already helped a lot with all your wonderful work on puppy Lxpup.

And now it is good news again because Lxpup is updated to precise 5.4.1

Downloading soon and will report back about whether Japanese text input by using SCIM input system still works or not. It will be nice if it still works but in any case, Lxpup has to be in my netbook because the availability of multi windows managers has made it so pleasant and convenient to use.

What a great innovative idea you have to place another higher bar to what puppy linux can do.

Thanks

smil99

#399 Post by smil99 »

Boy oh boy .... you never seize to amaze me. :D I hope you are not skipping your studies ... lol.
As always, thanks for yet another amazing puplet. The new lxde desktop is fantastic.
However, being a fan of cinnamon. I tried using the cinnagnome3.4 sfs but was never able to. :(
At first, starting with 'ctrl-alt-del' and typing 'xwin gnome-session-cinnamon' at the console reported of X not being able to start. I then started with 'xwin startlxde' and while in lxde, I run 'gnome-session-cinnamon' at the console and got the following:

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# gnome-session-cinnamon
sh: /usr/bin/gnome-session-cinnamon: Permission denied
sh-3.00# gnome-session
sh: /usr/bin/gnome-session: Permission denied
Allowing permission through file properties then yielded the following:

# gnome-session-cinnamon
gnome-session[23449]: WARNING: Session 'cinnamon' runnable check failed: Failed to execute child process "/usr/lib/gnome-session/gnome-session-check-accelerated" (Permission denied)
gnome-session[23449]: EggSMClient-WARNING: Desktop file '/usr/share/applications/gnome-panel.desktop' has malformed Icon key 'gnome-panel.svg'(should not include extension)
gnome-session[23449]: WARNING: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit': no such name
gnome-session[23449]: WARNING: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit': no such name
gnome-session[23449]: WARNING: Failed to start app: Unable to start application: Failed to execute child process "/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon" (Permission denied)
gnome-session[23449]: WARNING: Failed to start app: Unable to start application: Failed to execute child process "gnome-panel" (Permission denied)
gnome-session[23449]: WARNING: Failed to start app: Unable to start application: Failed to execute child process "/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play" (Permission denied)
gnome-session[23449]: WARNING: Failed to start app: Unable to start application: Failed to execute child process "nautilus" (Permission denied)
gnome-session[23449]: WARNING: Failed to start app: Unable to start application: Failed to execute child process "/usr/libexec/notification-daemon" (Permission denied)
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":0" already has a window manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current window manager.
Window manager warning: Screen 0 on display ":0" already has a window manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current window manager.
gnome-session[23449]: WARNING: App 'metacity.desktop' respawning too quickly
# 
Running dbus-daemon at console also gave the following:

sh-3.00# dbus-daemon --system
Unknown username "pulse" in message bus configuration file
Failed to start message bus: The pid file "/var/run/dbus/pid" exists, if the message bus is not running, remove this file
sh-3.00#
I'm clueless as to how to solve this problem. Obviously, these might be permission issues regarding some gnome files. You might want to have a look at cinnamon once again if your schedule allows it.

Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

Jejy69

#400 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

pchan, thanks you, I hope Jp language will work, I forget to try it, If it doesn't work, I'll try to fix this bug, and maybe integrate full JP language in ISO, like FR and ES. :)
I confess that I had apprehension for the top bar, it was not successful. It innovates, it pleases it's great I am reassured.

smil99,
Boy oh boy .... you never seize to amaze me. Very Happy I hope you are not skipping your studies ... lol.
Delighted to read that!
For my studies, no worries, I have a lot of free time, I finished my fixed-term contract of afternoons, and I can not find a job right now :( ...

For Gnome/Cinnamon : Mea Culpa ! I uploaded the bad sfs... :oops:
The normal package is http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkma ... s/download

I must update Website now.

Cheers !:D

aragon

#401 Post by aragon »

Jejy69,

in your first post precise-11.12 is linked.

aragon

Jejy69

#402 Post by Jejy69 »

Exact Aragon thanks you, first post edited. :)

Now, I'll try to post on the site, more applications, it will be a kind of directory, and it will avoid searching packets in the forum.
It will be more attractive and faster, with the added bonus a short description for each program.
I make no mirror, ie I keep the same server of the packet creator.
In the description, the name / nickname of the author of the package.

I do referencing in order to be more effective.

If I forget a name like the changes, do not hesitate to let me know.

Exemple :

ikaros262

#403 Post by ikaros262 »

Is there a delta file to update from old lxpup to new lxpup?

mikeslr

precise-lxpup-12.12 working great

#404 Post by mikeslr »

Thank you for precise-lxpup-12.12. It works flawlessly with my Amd quad-core, Ati-Radeo 3100 graphics and favorite applications.

I really appreciate that LxPup's sfs-Load-on-the-fly looks for sfses in both LxPup's folder and home partition. As I don't think LxPup's desktop sfses, such as mate-1.4.1.sfs, can be used with other Puppies, they can be kept in LxPup's folder, still found easily, and not create unnecessary listings or confusion if another Puppy is booted.

Miner suggestions:
You may want to consider altering the display which appears when the mate-1.4.1.sfs is loaded. The top aks “Do you want to run an applications now?
Attachments
Mate.sfs.jpg
Truncated? Unnecessary display on mate-1.4.1 load
(153.02 KiB) Downloaded 1102 times

smil99

#405 Post by smil99 »

Hi Jejy69,
Thanks to your ceaseless efforts, cinnamon now works as expected. :D I had to append the 'dbus-daemon --system' at /etc/rc.d/rc.local file before it could survive reboots though.
Will post back if any major show-stopper arises.

A note:
I noticed that LibreOffice 3.6.3 and Google Earth 6.2.2 at your site have .txz extension meaning they might have been built solely for the old slacko based lxpups. I am not sure if they are compatible with the lxpup precise series.

Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]

smil99

#406 Post by smil99 »

@ mikesir
Having loaded mate-1.4.1.sfs ...., if I wanted to unload it and run LxPup without it,
(1) is unload via sfs-load-on-the-fly, and restart X sufficient?
(2) Do I have to exit X, and type something? If so, what?
(3) Is some other action required?
You don't need to unload mate or any other desktop to be able to use the original lxde desktop. You can always get back to it by typing

xwin startlxde
at the console after exiting X.

Cheers.

Jejy69

#407 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

ikaros262, no sorry, no delta file, I have build with a new Puppy base.
I prefer to avoid conflicts.

mikeslr, thanks you, I take into account the remarks.
I forget Vicmz's plugin.
For Mate, I don't know how to hide choices during the loading of the SFS. :?

To start lxde, don't need to unload SFS. Smil99 has the good solution :
Smil99: You don't need to unload mate or any other desktop to be able to use the original lxde desktop. You can always get back to it by typing
Code:
xwin startlxde
at the console after exiting X.
You can use all desktop environments together. I tried. :D
Just an issue, kde and trinity can't be together, since they have "startkde" to begin a session.

Smil99, Uf, I'm happy it works. :D, I need to fix fonts in Cinnamon menu now.
For LibreOffice and Google earth, yes they are in TXZ format, but works with Lxpup. :)
Just install as .pet or .deb.
You can use these without problem.

Cheers !

Jejy69

#408 Post by Jejy69 »

Smil99, I updated LibreOffice 3.6.3, it's now a .pet package, and I add a missing library. I will add now languages for Libo.
LibreOffice works normaly now.

Cheers ! :)

smil99

#409 Post by smil99 »

Hi jejy69,
Refer to next post, Sorry ... double posted ... :?
Cheers.
Last edited by smil99 on Sun 25 Nov 2012, 01:33, edited 3 times in total.

smil99

#410 Post by smil99 »

Hi jejy69,
LibreOffice works normaly now.
Thanks for the LibreOffice pet. I'm going to try it out soon. Nevertheless, a .sfs file would have been better considering the size. What do you think?
By the way, the link to precise-lxpup-12.12.iso on the first page is still not clickable. Instead of:
Latest Precise version :

[urlhttp://sourceforge.net/projects/checkmatelxde/files/precise-lxpup-12.12.iso/download[/url]
must be:
Latest Precise version :

[url]http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkmatelxde/files/precise-lxpup-12.12.iso/download[/url]
Apparently, you missed the closing square bracket of the beginning url tag.

Cheers.