Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Jejy69

#436 Post by Jejy69 »

@bark_bark_bark, for now, I don't know, but I think not.

pchan

#437 Post by pchan »

Jejy69,

Your next release of Lxpup sounds interesting! BTW, Barry K has released precise 5.4.2 so i am supposing that your next Lxpup will be based on the new precise 5.4.2.

I am sending this message using Lxpup retro 11.12 which runs very well in my netbook. I like the lastest Lxpup but maybe psychologically, I feel the non pae is faster and more responsive for my netbook.

I have not installed so many softwares (just smplayer, chrome, SCIM Japanese input, notecase pro, fotoxx, later will try wine, softmaker office, libreoffice, skype, treepad, photofiltre, bleachbit, google earth and some games) yet so I am not able to discover any instability in a precise 5.4.1 based lxpup. But since there is a need for precise 5.4.2, I suppose that the precise 5.4.2. will be more stable version to use on a long term basis.

elroy

#438 Post by elroy »

Jejy69, est-ce en utilisant Thunar? La raison pour laquelle je demande, c'est qu'il est possible d'enlever le "en tant que root" 'avertissement en modifiant le code source avant la compilation du module Thunar.

Jejy69

#439 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello...

elroy, thanks you, I know, but I used "apt-get install xfce" because I test Synaptic under Lxpup.
Packages come from Ubuntu precise's ppa.

Cheers, :)

pchan

#440 Post by pchan »

Hi Jejy69,

Merry Christmas to you 2012!

I started using Lxpup12:12 and it is very fast and snappy on my netbook. It is better than the previous version. And I am using "Mate" as window manager and wow, it looks like cinnamon.

Some people reported that the PAE version causes more heat to the netbook than the non - PAE version. I don't know if that is true. Anyway, the Lxpup 12:12 is running very well.

Wish you a wonderful time this Christmas and also for the coming year ahead!

bark_bark_bark

#441 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Offtopic:
@Jejy69: where is your lego indy avatar? I too am a fan of Indiana Jones.

Ontopic:

Is Lxpup based on Barry's Precise or pemasu's Precise?

ASRI éducation

#442 Post by ASRI éducation »

bark_bark_bark wrote:...
It's based on Barry's precise.

peebee

#443 Post by peebee »

ASRI éducation wrote:
bark_bark_bark wrote:...
It's based on Barry's precise.
Not quite...see post #1
-
Based on Precise 5.4's Pemasu, so many fix, apps added, and better kernel.
i.e Upup Precise 54x3 (I think)....which is Pemasu's rebuild of Barry's Precise

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

smil99

#444 Post by smil99 »

jejy69 wrote:
I have a good new ! The next Lxpup will have "apt-get", "aptitude", and Synaptic with all precise's PPA. .... Issues for now: Only some libs ( Apt thinks some libs are already installed ). But easily installable with Synaptic.
I hope those issues have been solved. Have been checking this thread almost everyday just to try this all new lxpup :)
Cheers

Ismail.
Last edited by smil99 on Sat 22 Dec 2012, 00:15, edited 2 times in total.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

nancy reagan

the apt-get puppy precise test iso is here - french forum

#445 Post by nancy reagan »

smil99 wrote:jejy69 wrote:
I have a good new ! The next Lxpup will have "apt-get", "aptitude", and Synaptic with all precise's PPA. .... Issues for now: Only some libs ( Apt thinks some libs are already installed ). But easily installable with Synaptic.
I hope those issues have been solved. Have been checking this thread almost everyday just to try this all new lxpup :)
Cheers.

Ismail.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82708

This apt-get TEST iso is here

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82708

smil99

#446 Post by smil99 »

nancy reagan wrote:
Thanks for the pointer. Just wondering why jejy69 didn't mention it here. :wink:
Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

Billtoo

Lxpup, multi desktop.

#447 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to the hard drive.

VIDEO REPORT: RetroPrecise Puppy, version 5.4.2
Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF108 Board - 1071v0p1 Chip Rev
Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe
Drivers requested to be loaded: vesa nvidia nvidia
Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): nvidia
Loaded modules: dbe dri dri2 extmod glx kbd mouse ramdac record wfb
Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 3840x1080 pixels (1049x292 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

I used synaptic to install several applications and it worked well,
vlc must be run as spot but it works fine.
Nice!
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(27.19 KiB) Downloaded 1394 times

mikeslr

Possible causes of silence

#448 Post by mikeslr »

Hi smil99,

A life-time ago, when I was in middle-school, it had a "Survey Foreign Languages" course. Convinced at the time I was destined for the sciences I paid attention to, and later took courses in, Latin and German. But during the French and Spanish components I paid more attention to the great sound I could get quietly drumming on my desk. Hindsight may be "best", but is of no practical value.
Slightly more valuable is Google-Translate. And the French thread Nancy Reagan noted was only one page in length. So I used google-translate to work thru the thread. Assuming that I got the gist, despite the google machine's idiotic botching of one language's idiomatic expressions into another's, the following may be the reasons for jejy69's silence.
(a) Jejy69 specifically noted he was currently devoting his time to studying for exams. We forget, he is only in his late teens.
(b) It is the Holiday Season. I'm not certain what that means in France, but my impression is that Europeans have more vacation time which they spend with family and friends, not as yet having been converted to the belief that the sole purpose of human existence is to participate in the game of economics.
(c) Despite the thread's brevity, a couple of the posters took the occasion to criticize his work either because it hadn't resulted in a perfect operating system or because it included apt-get which they hated. Regarding the latter complaint, I guess language is not the only impediment to grasping the concept "choice." Hopefully, that failure is not now endemic in the country which justifiably considers itself a progenitor of Democracy. There can be no Liberte' without choice.
As to the former, it sparked a vision of an eminently justifiable version of Hell. Two groups are at the Pearly Gates. One group enters. The other remains outside for all eternity suffering with the envy of the those within. The difference between the groups is that the first made the effort to, themselves, open the door. Vive Doacracy.

Hopefully, despite his youth, jejy69 has developed a thick-skin and will soon continue to pursue his inspiration which this Forum so greatly appreciates.

And to jejy69, and to all Puppy Linux Fans, Joyeux Noël et une Bonne Année avoir et prospère.

mikesLr

playdayz

#449 Post by playdayz »

With Lxpup Jejy69 is doing exactly what I would like to be able to do, if I could: a Puppy derivative based on one of the official Puppies, with a slightly more modern look and feel to the desktop. And then it gets really good: alternate desktops already configured--Mate, Cinnamon, XFCE, KDE3 and 4. With just Lxpup and a download people can use all or any of the major Linux desktops--and switch between them easily. Wow! Plus the web site is great. And, another thing, there is easily installable software--click and go. What a fine package. IMHO newcomers to Puppy can have a great time exploring Linux with all the advantages of small fast fun Puppy--old timers too :)

Happy Christmas everyone.

peebee

#450 Post by peebee »

playdayz wrote:With Lxpup Jejy69 is doing exactly what I would like to be able to do, if I could: a Puppy derivative based on one of the official Puppies, with a slightly more modern look and feel to the desktop. And then it gets really good: alternate desktops already configured--Mate, Cinnamon, XFCE, KDE3 and 4. With just Lxpup and a download people can use all or any of the major Linux desktops--and switch between them easily. Wow! Plus the web site is great. And, another thing, there is easily installable software--click and go. What a fine package. IMHO newcomers to Puppy can have a great time exploring Linux with all the advantages of small fast fun Puppy--old timers too :)

Happy Christmas everyone.
Hi Larry

Great to hear from you again - I really hope your re-appearance in Puppydom means that things have settled down for the better in your personal situation.

I echo your words of wisdom - Jeyjy69 has done a great job with Lxpup and with his website - lets hope his academic priorities continue to leave a bit of time for further Puppy innovations - and for support to Lxpup.

With All Best Wishes for Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Peaceful 2013
Cheers
PeeBee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

PsyBaba

#451 Post by PsyBaba »

I stumbled upon Puppy back in 2006 and since then I strugled many times to switch over and use it as my main distro. But without a desktop environment everything was so "disconnected" that I couldn't get a smooth workflow. I said I would wait until puppy "matures" to the point it will offer a lightweight desktop environment (I hoped for LXDE). And finnaly here is what I (and obviously also others) was waiting for...
a Puppy derivative based on one of the official Puppies, with a slightly more modern look and feel to the desktop.
I havent tested it thoughtfully, but as far as I've seen it has what I need :)
I really hope this derivate will be a long term update and will not vanish one day, because it's a real masterpiece!

On page 12 I already saw a request to include SpaceFM. I was wondering how hard would it be to make it the default FM, so folders would open in it by derault and MIME types would work and mounted volumes would show up like in PCmanFM? SpaceFM is a really more advanced program than PCmanFM, even if you use it as a single panel FM ;)

Eyes-Only

#452 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi PsyBaba,

Actually, it's not all that difficult to do really. There used to be an updated .pet around here somewhere ( perhaps in this thread? - I've been absent for 3 months so please bear with me? ) and all one needed to do was to download the file, click to install, and once that was accompplished you could go into "/root/.config/openbox" and open the file "rc.xml" in something like "geany".

Once you've done that use the search feature to find "pcmanfm" and where it sets this file manager as the default file manager. Change the parameter over to "spacefm" instead and I believe this has made SpaceFM your file manager of choice.

I went so far as to even kill the start up of pcmanfm for the desktop ( in another pup of Jejy's - "CheckMate" - essentially the same thing as "LXpup" ) and switched it over for the far-superiour SpaceFM. I just had to change a few more lines elsewhere to start SpaceFM over PCmanFM, lines which I fail to recall at this precise moment, sorry.

But I do hope this has helped in some small way PsyBaba?

Amicalement/Cheers,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

PsyBaba

#453 Post by PsyBaba »

Thanks, pal!

I will check it out and see how far I can get.

Perhaps someone could write a script like "choose your default browser" but instead it would be "choose your default FM", that would change all the necessary settings. Or it could be bundlet into .pet file that is distributing the FM of choice, so at installation it would ask if you want to make it the default FM... just a few ideas :wink:

But as far SpaceFM is superior it could be also included as the default FM 8)

playdayz

#454 Post by playdayz »

Hello my great and good friend Eyes-Only. I also have been absent and this is only a one-off, but all the best of the season to you and your wife.

I should have known we would meet in Lxpup, eh, ever since K-Meleon we have been twins separated at birth ;-)

For anyone interested here is Google Chrome 23 for Lxpup--it is more recent and more tailored for Lxpup than the one on the Lxpup website
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Googl ... -Lxpup.pet
For anyone who asks why ;-) Chrome is the fastest and it is the only browser that includes the current flashplayer (as I understand it anyway). I have done my best to deactivate the "phone home features."

The Audacious on the Lxpup website does not make a menu entry, but if one edits /usr/share/applications/Audacious and changes the Categories to AudioVideo and restarts X it will make a menu entry. Thanks for the latest Audacious btw. Easy access to the latest greatest software is one reason I like Lxpup.

Eyes-Only

#455 Post by Eyes-Only »

WOW! Howdy Playdayz!

LOL! Yes sirree! Twins separated @ birth are we, eh? :wink: :D I sure indeed had a great laugh out of that one!

In all seriousness tho my brother, it's great to be back. I missed this place so very much for the mental stimulation that it gave me and - foremost of all - the wonderful friendships I'd formed here. ( And all of you know very well just who you are of course. :) ) I truly missed you and Jejy.

Thanks for the season's well-wishes Playdayz and right back at you for this Xmas and for 2013. I likewise hope that everyone is in the very best of health possible under your roof Larry!

Cheers All,

Eyes-Only/-jimmi-
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*