Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
PsyBaba

#451 Post by PsyBaba »

I stumbled upon Puppy back in 2006 and since then I strugled many times to switch over and use it as my main distro. But without a desktop environment everything was so "disconnected" that I couldn't get a smooth workflow. I said I would wait until puppy "matures" to the point it will offer a lightweight desktop environment (I hoped for LXDE). And finnaly here is what I (and obviously also others) was waiting for...
a Puppy derivative based on one of the official Puppies, with a slightly more modern look and feel to the desktop.
I havent tested it thoughtfully, but as far as I've seen it has what I need :)
I really hope this derivate will be a long term update and will not vanish one day, because it's a real masterpiece!

On page 12 I already saw a request to include SpaceFM. I was wondering how hard would it be to make it the default FM, so folders would open in it by derault and MIME types would work and mounted volumes would show up like in PCmanFM? SpaceFM is a really more advanced program than PCmanFM, even if you use it as a single panel FM ;)

Eyes-Only

#452 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi PsyBaba,

Actually, it's not all that difficult to do really. There used to be an updated .pet around here somewhere ( perhaps in this thread? - I've been absent for 3 months so please bear with me? ) and all one needed to do was to download the file, click to install, and once that was accompplished you could go into "/root/.config/openbox" and open the file "rc.xml" in something like "geany".

Once you've done that use the search feature to find "pcmanfm" and where it sets this file manager as the default file manager. Change the parameter over to "spacefm" instead and I believe this has made SpaceFM your file manager of choice.

I went so far as to even kill the start up of pcmanfm for the desktop ( in another pup of Jejy's - "CheckMate" - essentially the same thing as "LXpup" ) and switched it over for the far-superiour SpaceFM. I just had to change a few more lines elsewhere to start SpaceFM over PCmanFM, lines which I fail to recall at this precise moment, sorry.

But I do hope this has helped in some small way PsyBaba?

Amicalement/Cheers,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

PsyBaba

#453 Post by PsyBaba »

Thanks, pal!

I will check it out and see how far I can get.

Perhaps someone could write a script like "choose your default browser" but instead it would be "choose your default FM", that would change all the necessary settings. Or it could be bundlet into .pet file that is distributing the FM of choice, so at installation it would ask if you want to make it the default FM... just a few ideas :wink:

But as far SpaceFM is superior it could be also included as the default FM 8)

playdayz

#454 Post by playdayz »

Hello my great and good friend Eyes-Only. I also have been absent and this is only a one-off, but all the best of the season to you and your wife.

I should have known we would meet in Lxpup, eh, ever since K-Meleon we have been twins separated at birth ;-)

For anyone interested here is Google Chrome 23 for Lxpup--it is more recent and more tailored for Lxpup than the one on the Lxpup website
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Googl ... -Lxpup.pet
For anyone who asks why ;-) Chrome is the fastest and it is the only browser that includes the current flashplayer (as I understand it anyway). I have done my best to deactivate the "phone home features."

The Audacious on the Lxpup website does not make a menu entry, but if one edits /usr/share/applications/Audacious and changes the Categories to AudioVideo and restarts X it will make a menu entry. Thanks for the latest Audacious btw. Easy access to the latest greatest software is one reason I like Lxpup.

Eyes-Only

#455 Post by Eyes-Only »

WOW! Howdy Playdayz!

LOL! Yes sirree! Twins separated @ birth are we, eh? :wink: :D I sure indeed had a great laugh out of that one!

In all seriousness tho my brother, it's great to be back. I missed this place so very much for the mental stimulation that it gave me and - foremost of all - the wonderful friendships I'd formed here. ( And all of you know very well just who you are of course. :) ) I truly missed you and Jejy.

Thanks for the season's well-wishes Playdayz and right back at you for this Xmas and for 2013. I likewise hope that everyone is in the very best of health possible under your roof Larry!

Cheers All,

Eyes-Only/-jimmi-
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

xstylezx

#456 Post by xstylezx »

Hello, great release! I've read through the whole thread and this puplet is moving along nicely. I have a few questions/concerns to ask about

Where is the puplet dev at, he seems to be missing for a bit, though it is holiday seasons? I just want to make sure this puplet is actively being updated and will be for some time.

I'm having video thumbnail issues also, but I see that's to be fixed in the next release.

This is an issue I've had with a couple of puplets, but managed to get it finally working on carolina. Installing Nvidia driver eventually appears to work and function fine, but after a reboot, or sometime within the next few reboots something corrupts from adding Nvidia driver and I can't get to desktop at all. Even after using xorgwizard and trying nouveau and the very basic driver it will just not load up xwin after the Nvidia fail.

That means I have to start fresh every time and as you can imagine that is quite a headache. I got it to work in carolina, but I'm not sure if that was luck or it was because I installed the dev sfs and kernel source sfs on carolina. After I installed the dev sfs and kernel source sfs on carolina and then used the nvidia driver pet it finally quit screwing up on me after reboots.

The Nvidia driver provided from lxpup is version wise the same I believe as the one I got to work on carolina. I checked my card and it is supported, im fairly certain. I'm on nvidia 6150 se. Not a great card but works fine using proprietary Nvidia driver with other distros and puplets as well. Is it a possibility I need the dev and kernel source sfs to get it working on lxpup as well?

If anyone has any ideas or tips to get Nvidia working for me I'm all ears?

Also, if there is a easy and fast way to back up my lxpup install so i can tinker with this Nvidia stuff without screwing up my whole install I'd love to know??

I should mention im using lxpup from a usb thumb drive. It is not installed on computer or usb though, booting from savefiles.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, it's appreciated! Also thanks for the great puplet!

Jejy69

#457 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !!

All best wishes for this year 2013 ! Image

If you want to try an apt-get Puppy, the ISO is here :http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkma ... o/download
/!\ Test only, since apt-get will not be included in the next version.

I will install all Gstreamer plugins to get thumbnails in all Desktop environments.

I do not know what to do new this time, do you have any ideas, opinions please ?

Maybe change Puppy base ? Theming ? Applications ...

Have a nice day.

nancy reagan

Bonne annee a toi

#458 Post by nancy reagan »

Jejy69 wrote:Hello !!

If you want to try an apt-get Puppy, the ISO is here :http://sourceforge.net/projects/checkma ... o/download

I will install all Gstreamer plugins to get thumbnails in all Desktop environments.

I do not know what to do new this time, do you have any ideas, opinions please ?

Have a nice day.
Bonsoir Jejy,

Bonne annee a toi aussi.

I am not a tweaker: seulement un wannabee user.

I just wanted to go play with your apt-get iso. But first I wanted to make a few different "save files" with Shinobar's pupsaveconfig (for I don't know how to make pets out of the apt-gets) as I do not want to save -every- sessions and with BK's, once you've save a session, it will save -every- next session. However, Shino's pet does not seem te work here, and I will try to live with that.

As my French is very bad, so far I did not post in your topic, where I just stumbled by incidence. So why not post it in the other forums and or project forum.

I hope you will promote your apt-get debi installer synaptic package manager.

Even if it might not be perfect, I would think it a great loss if you dropped it. :cry:

Maybe, and therefore I am not a tweaker, programmer, I hardly understand what people here are talking about here, peut-etre il est tres difficile de faire an iso comme ca ?; que dommage.

Notamment, je suis dans ton apt-get iso. C'est a peu pres 50 ans passees que j'avait francais a l'ecole, alors me manque beaucoup des mots et expressions.

If you don't know what to do this time I cannot understand why not workout your apt-get iso ?

Neamoins je va jouer avec l'iso.

xstylezx

#459 Post by xstylezx »

Jejy69 wrote:Hello !!

Have a nice day.
I would love to see you keep working on apt-get and synaptic and of course the video thumbnails for lxde. I haven't had the time to test apt-get iso yet, but will asap.

Other than those items, maybe just keeping certain programs and packages up to date as possible. Like browsers and the like. I'm sure others will chime in with ideas as well :)

Eyes-Only

#460 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Jejy!

I too would also hope that you would continue to work on an apt-get/synaptic LXpup. It has been the dream of MANY A DEV to be able to incorporate either of the two - or both - into Puppy Linux simply for the sheer size of the software that would then be available to us with merely a simple click of the mouse button. Imagine that Jejy! It would be much like magic, would it not?! 8)

I believe the last person to obtain any measure of sucess was the dev "sickgut"? I could be wrong. You would have to search the forums to find out. His one problem was the inability to make a certain type of file containing all the default software in Puppy - especially bothersome because of how the software changes between versions as well as between distros upon which Puppy becomes based upon, plus not to mention software that people may have added from the start of using their version of Puppy and the install of apt-get/synaptic. :(

I, however, had rather good results with his work. I was unable to use synaptic to install major things - say like - the Gnome or KDE desktop environments. Yet I did have limited sucess, if memory serves me correctly, installing such window managers as IceWM, Flux/Blackbox, and even LXDE, all without corrupting my Puppy frugal or hard drive installs. I would even have sucess with assorted programmes as well.

Unfortunately, at the moment, I can't recall exactly how I did this. I believe I was able to achieve this great feat once sickgut began "pinning" various important lib files which simply could not be over-written without risking a borked Puppy install. I think in the end this was how he managed to achieve his form of limited magic.

Still though, having a completely operational apt-get or synaptic in Puppy would be a dream come true! Then we could download a basic bare-bones Puppy with a fully functional on-board synaptic, and then truly build "the Puppy of our dreams." Regretfully, this seems to have proven as elusive as that "Fountain of Youth". :(

Toutefois mon chum: I've downloaded what you've offered here and as soon as I'm able I plan on playing around with it, d'accord? For the time being however, I'm still working on getting my computer back up to a 100% pre-September working order. Because of its sheer versatility and ease of use ( not to mention all those "made-to-order" desktop environments! ) I've decided to centre my computer around LXpup as its "Default System". You've made here a-top BarryK's Puppy the most superb Linux OS I've ever managed to use in the past 8 or more years since my coming over from Windows 98se. Congratulations! You're going to go VERY FAR in this world if you continue onward with this calibre of workmanship in your life. Trust me.

A la prochaine fois mon bon chum! Vive LXpup!

Amicalement/Cheers,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*

playdayz

#461 Post by playdayz »

I would like to see the Help work. That is, Abiword -> Help -> Help Contents should display that. BigPup instigated a fix in Lucid 528.005 using gvfs. Jemimah hacked a system file to achieve the same effect in Saluki and 01micko uses it in Slacko. There is Preferred Applications which does open the browser, but the target page is not passed or opened. Also, gnome-Mplayer -> About -> the hyper link should open the website, same with other Abouts and Helps.

And would that nice Mate/Mint menu work in the base Lxpup ;-)

01micko

#462 Post by 01micko »

Here's the patch I use that enables help in gnome based apps.

Thanks to jemimah's work.

NOTE: this is only usefull applied to the glib2 source code!!!!!
Attachments
glib_slacko-121002.patch.gz
(808 Bytes) Downloaded 409 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

gcmartin

#463 Post by gcmartin »

Eyes-Only wrote:I too would also hope that you would continue to work on an apt-get/synaptic LXpup. It has been the dream ...
I seem to remember that @Sickgut addressed this technology in Pussy. But, I'm not sure if his subsystem would work with LxPUP. But, it may have merit.

Hope this helps

playdayz

LxPup with working Help

#464 Post by playdayz »

LxPup with working Help. It is a Proof of Concept. It includes the latest Google Chrome browser (because it is fast and includes the latest flashplayer, and the Help works with it). It also includes the Mate desktop (because I wanted to use it and have it run from ram so it needed to be in the sfs, plus Help seems to require something in it to work correctly). It is large but I think it could be shrunk somewhat--I know that Mate can be shrunk because it includes some dev stuff. Even at 320MB it will copy to ram in any computer with at least 1GB. I didn't try to shrink it at all. diddywahdiddy is a fast server.

It boots to LXDE but one can Log Out and enter xwin mate-session at the prompt.

I made it for myself so it might need some tweaking for your preferences. Both LXDE and Mate are reasonably easy to tweak, once you learn how I guess ;-)

Mistake one: To get Help to work in MtPaint you need to Mtpaint -> Image -> Preferences -> Paths and Browse to /usr/share/mtpaint/mtpaint_handbook-3.31/docs/index.html

Big really ugly kludge. Gnumeric wants the yelp help system which in turn wants webkit and beaucoup other things, so I made a fake yelp that opens the Gnumeric online Help. This would be a problem if anything else tried to use yelp.

About also works--that is, the links in the About splashes. The Help should be just as functional now as in Lupu, Slacko, and Saluki.

Lxpup has a working Recycle Bin which is one of my interests, plus imho a very nice look and feel. Mate is the old Gnome 2 and those people thought long and hard for years about usability and user experience. Say it could be shrunk to around 260-280MB, then a Puppy, running from ram, with two such nice desktops would be a formidable product imho, with lots of good old-fashioned testing;-)

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Pupppy500/lxpu ... .12-pd.iso
50aaa10ff2f9d213afc88946e5116fd9

Based on the great work of Jejy69. Recommend including pfix=copy in /grub/menu.lst or puppy pfix=copy at cd boot prompt.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 17 Jan 2013, 23:31, edited 6 times in total.

James C

#465 Post by James C »

Will be downloading as soon as it's ready. If I can't have Gnome 2 I'll settle for MATE...

Good to see you around again too..... :)

James C

Re: LxPup with working Help

#466 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:LxPup with working Help. It is a Proof of Concept. It includes the latest Google Chrome browser (because it is fast and includes the latest flashplayer, and the Help works with it). It also includes the Mate desktop (because I wanted to use it and have it run from ram so it needed to be in the sfs, plus Help seems to require something in it to work correctly). It is large but I think it could be shrunk somewhat--I know that Mate can be shrunk because it includes some dev stuff. Even at 320MB it will copy to ram in any computer with at least 1GB.
Don't want to derail the thread but did a quick frugal install and switched directly to Mate.No problems.
Not bad on resource usage either.
Attachments
Htop.png
(188.54 KiB) Downloaded 1649 times

playdayz

#467 Post by playdayz »

Don't want to derail the thread
James C, Should I put this in a new thread of its own, do you think? I thought that since it was just a remaster it would go here. Thanks.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 15 Jan 2013, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

bark_bark_bark

#468 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Personally I hate Google Chrome. I never ever want to use a web browser that crashes it's self repeatably (and that is what Chrome is).

playdayz

#469 Post by playdayz »

Personally I hate Google Chrome. I never ever want to use a web browser that crashes it's self repeatably (and that is what Chrome is).
Seamonkey is still in the remaster I made, but I can't get the Help to work with it. The same thing could be done with Firefox or Opera. The remaster is just a Proof of Concept to show the Help working, mainly (though it is now my main Puppy). I have seen the Chrome Aw Snap crash screen, but more in Windows I think--I have had pretty good luck with the Linux versions. Some extensions might make Chrome unstable.

One could add Firefox or Opera to the remaster. To get the Help working one would need to go to Desktop -> Desktop Settings -> Preferred Applications and then choose the new browser. Also one would need to modify the desktop file in /usr/share/applications to replace the line, for instance,

Code: Select all

exec firefox 
to

Code: Select all

exec firefox %u
One could also start with regular LxPup, but I haven't been able to get the Help working without adding the Mate 1.4.1.

James C

#470 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
Don't want to derail the thread
James C, Should I put this in a new thread of its own, do you think? I thought that since it was just a remaster it would go here. Thanks.
Might as well just stay in this thread since it is still Lxpup.

I've got installs of regular Lxpup, the apt-get version (works pretty well too) and the Playdayz version..... but they all have the same base so........ :lol: