Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

Re: LxPup with working Help

#466 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:LxPup with working Help. It is a Proof of Concept. It includes the latest Google Chrome browser (because it is fast and includes the latest flashplayer, and the Help works with it). It also includes the Mate desktop (because I wanted to use it and have it run from ram so it needed to be in the sfs, plus Help seems to require something in it to work correctly). It is large but I think it could be shrunk somewhat--I know that Mate can be shrunk because it includes some dev stuff. Even at 320MB it will copy to ram in any computer with at least 1GB.
Don't want to derail the thread but did a quick frugal install and switched directly to Mate.No problems.
Not bad on resource usage either.
Attachments
Htop.png
(188.54 KiB) Downloaded 1649 times

playdayz

#467 Post by playdayz »

Don't want to derail the thread
James C, Should I put this in a new thread of its own, do you think? I thought that since it was just a remaster it would go here. Thanks.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 15 Jan 2013, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

bark_bark_bark

#468 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Personally I hate Google Chrome. I never ever want to use a web browser that crashes it's self repeatably (and that is what Chrome is).

playdayz

#469 Post by playdayz »

Personally I hate Google Chrome. I never ever want to use a web browser that crashes it's self repeatably (and that is what Chrome is).
Seamonkey is still in the remaster I made, but I can't get the Help to work with it. The same thing could be done with Firefox or Opera. The remaster is just a Proof of Concept to show the Help working, mainly (though it is now my main Puppy). I have seen the Chrome Aw Snap crash screen, but more in Windows I think--I have had pretty good luck with the Linux versions. Some extensions might make Chrome unstable.

One could add Firefox or Opera to the remaster. To get the Help working one would need to go to Desktop -> Desktop Settings -> Preferred Applications and then choose the new browser. Also one would need to modify the desktop file in /usr/share/applications to replace the line, for instance,

Code: Select all

exec firefox 
to

exec firefox %u
One could also start with regular LxPup, but I haven't been able to get the Help working without adding the Mate 1.4.1.

James C

#470 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
James C, Should I put this in a new thread of its own, do you think? I thought that since it was just a remaster it would go here. Thanks.
Might as well just stay in this thread since it is still Lxpup.

I've got installs of regular Lxpup, the apt-get version (works pretty well too) and the Playdayz version..... but they all have the same base so........ :lol:

playdayz

#471 Post by playdayz »

Latest Version Google Chrome 24 for LxPup
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Googl ... .Lxpup.pet
(defanged as far as possible, includes flashplayer, already in the LxPup with Working Help)

Xine DVD Player for LxPup
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/xine-dvd-lxpup.pet
(Because it plays DVD menus better than the default gnome-mplayer)

cowboy

new thread lxpup revised

#472 Post by cowboy »

playdayz wrote:
Playdayz, super to see you around, and hope all has improved. New thread....? I know Jejy uses this particular thread on a link from his site for support purposes for his spins. Might confuse some? Anyway great to see you back; I'm with you on the potential for LXDE based Puppies, and will follow your effort closely. All the best.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

Jejy69

#473 Post by Jejy69 »

Helloooooow !

I missed quite a few days, excuse me if I ignored messages, or have forgotten (it is possible).

Firstly,

Might as well just stay in this thread since it is still Lxpup.

I've got installs of regular Lxpup, the apt-get version (works pretty well too) and the Playdayz version..... but they all have the same base so........
I believe in teamwork, and this thing known as GNU.
If lxpup inspires a fork, a base, derived, I think it's great!
After all Lxpup is simply a precise with lxde overlay. :)
Playdayz, if you want create your own thread, there is NO problem.
Instead, it will show what you done in value. Moreover, personal satisfaction, I must admit, the brilliant creator of Lucid, aka Playdaz is interested in what "I" have done.
I take this opportunity to thank you for these packages, I'll update the site, I'm a fan of Chrome.

nancy reagan,
About Lxpup with apt-get I'm sorry, but I have not progressed, I still get error messages, and I must admit that it scares me to leave this unstable tool with Puppy, I do not want to lose data to people. :cry:
I'm too limited to continue. Your French, no problem, it's still good :lol: ! I guess my English is not to be famous, sorry for those who must decrypt me. I apologize for the mistakes.

Hi Eyes-Only,
Pleased to meet you, I hope that everything happens for the best :/.
It has been the dream of MANY A DEV.
I did not know it was also appreciated. I may be wrong, but I do not really consider as a dev, just a simple "bidouilleur".
I've downloaded what you've offered here and as soon as I'm able I plan on playing around with it, d'accord? For the time being however, I'm still working on getting my computer back up to a 100% pre-September working order. Because of its sheer versatility and ease of use ( not to mention all those "made-to-order" desktop environments! ) I've decided to centre my computer around LXpup as its "Default System".
It is an honor for me!
You've made here a-top BarryK's Puppy the most superb Linux OS I've ever managed to use in the past 8 or more years since my coming over from Windows 98se. Congratulations! You're going to go VERY FAR in this world if you continue onward with this calibre of workmanship in your life. Trust me.
I'm flattered, but I would not have done it without the wonderful people of this forum. It learned so many things, from people living elsewhere in the world, with their culture, mindset, opinions ... I'm very lucky.
Thank you, I've always trusted in you, and I will try not to disappoint you :D !

Again thanks all ! :')

inoxidabile

sfs doesn't load

#474 Post by inoxidabile »

Hello, I've seen LXpup and I think it's great!
It's "less minimalistic" than classic Puppy but it's still light.
However I had a problem and I would like to know if there is a solution.
I put the ISO on a CD and I tried on a couple of pc, without any problem, but after that I tried on this hardware:
- Thin Client HP t5730 (cpu Sempron 2100+ / 1GB ram / flash disk 8M)
- external CD drive, having its own supply and connected with usb
After the initial boot and driver loading, i appears a message: unable to find the sfs.
The cd is ok because I tried on other pc, as I said at the beginning.
Then I tried with an older Puppy version (4.3.1) and with the latest Puppy release.
With the older one there are no problem but with the latest it's the same; again, the same problem happens with the retro-LxPup.
Then, I think that maybe it could be something about kernel and/or driver.
Is it right? could I do anything to solve this problem?
Many thanks in advance for any suggestion.

playdayz

#475 Post by playdayz »

The Lxpup with Working Help was not a fork or anything--it was just a remaster of Jejy69's work to get the Help working. What we learned was that there is something in the mate-1.4.1.sfs that the Help needs in order to work correctly, but I don't know what it is. Otherwise it is reasonably straightforward.

Lucid was good because it had many testers, but the more testers you have the more work you have to do :wink:

gcmartin

Re: sfs doesn't load

#476 Post by gcmartin »

inoxidabile wrote:Hello, I've seen LXpup and I think it's great!
I ... could I do anything to solve this problem?.
Hi @Inoxidabile

The problem as you describe seems to be one that I have run into several times over the past many years. So, this may help. I going to assume you already have tried to boot by hitting F2 and using the pfix=ram option.
  1. Firstly, did you run an "md5sum" against your download to see if it matched.
  2. Next, assuming you accomplished the prior step, you could try having the CD crator check the integrity of its burn.
  3. Lastly, try another download, then repeat the 2 top steps.
There are various causes and reasons for the problem you describe. The most notable I have found is when the ISP resets the your IP while a download is occurring. This I have seen in the past to have a negative impact in one's ISO download.

Hope this helps

inoxidabile

#477 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi gcmartin,
Thanks for Your reply.
I'm quite sure that the iso and the related burned cd are ok because I tried them on other two pc: they have both their own cd drive and un that cases there are absolutely no problem..
Nevertheless, I rI did as You said, having the same result.
In my opinion the problem is due to "something" related to boot from external cd drive connected through usb.
In this thread there are something I think it could be interestin:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83880
However, I did a maual frugal install, starting with a 4.3.1 and then Lxpup is running.
Now I'm facing an other problem due to setup of external monitor, but this is an other question ... (m y habit is to check by myself prio to ask for an help :) )

Volhout

No. SFS

#478 Post by Volhout »

THE boot up problem described is probably a timing problem in the USB stack. I have seen similar with some USB sticks on my ASUS netbook. I have not been able to solve it.

ETP

sfs doesn't load

#479 Post by ETP »

Hi inoxidabile,
- Thin Client HP t5730 (cpu Sempron 2100+ / 1GB ram / flash disk 8M)
- external CD drive, having its own supply and connected with usb
After the initial boot and driver loading, i appears a message: unable to find the sfs.
Interesting problem. It is good that it attempts to boot. Logically, following the loading of the drivers it is looking in the wrong place or for the wrong type of device. It may be worth pressing the relevant key to access the command line as it boots and then inputting the following boot code.

pmedia=usbcd 
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

inoxidabile

#480 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi evrybody,

About the post from Volhout: I also did this assumpton at the beginning, but it's a fact that oldest release boot without problem. Then, if Your idea is true, maybe it's due to "some change" happened in the Puppy evolution.

About the post from ETP: I agree, in my opinion it could be interesting, because I tried to change the parameter of boot for pmedia but without success... :(
Then I could suppose that this parameter doesn't pass to the cfg files (e.g. vmlinuz).

gcmartin

An interesting bug

#481 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Inoxidabile

This is a rather interesting bug. I have no way of testing to assist in its resolution (no way to replicate your external multimedia drive over USB)

But, I think you have brought awareness to a configuration issue that may have applicability as we move into the future. One particular is a scenario that I have thought about over the holidays where I can run a x86 motherboard without internal peripheral with only a USB/eSATA DVD drive. Reasonable expectation but, as you share here, that configuration may not work with a 32bit PUP. For, as you report there are boot time issues affecting system start.

This reasoning came as a result of looking at FATSlacko which has run without reboot since its original desktop configuration and reboot in the spring of last year. Without a need for internal storage (system has plenty of RAM), an external CD/DVD boot option would be applicable for a startup and setup of a PUP which is rarely, if ever, rebooted.

Hope others who can replicate this can assist in pointing the finger at the internal problem occurring.
Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 23 Jan 2013, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

RSH

#482 Post by RSH »

Hi.

In the German forum some guys have found that also pmedia=wuwei is working and will find the sfs file. Which seems like the pmedia= is not used.

On the other hand and from my own research and work on LazY Puppy I know, pmedia IS USED several times inside the initrd.gz file.
The Init script of initrd.gz wrote:if [ "$PMEDIA" ];then #kernel boot param
case $PMEDIA in
usbflash|usbhd) #impose restriction to only probe usb drives...
#LESSPARTS0="`echo "$LESSPARTS0" | grep -v -F "$ATADRIVES0"`" #110126
for REMOVEDRIVE in $ATADRIVES
do
LESSPARTS0="`echo "$LESSPARTS0" | grep -v $REMOVEDRIVE`"
done
;;
cd) #101021
#[ "$PRAMONLY" = "yes" ] && LESSPARTS0="`echo "$LESSPARTS0" | grep '^sr'`" #101218 do not search other drives.
[ "$PRAMONLY" = "yes" ] && LESSPARTS0="`echo "$PCPARTSALL" | grep '^/dev/' | cut -f 1-2 -d '|' | grep 'iso9660' | sed -e 's%/dev/%%'`" #110126 do not search other drives.
;;
*)
#note: a mistake if have PDEV1 on usb booting, as it can change.
if [ "$PDEV1" ];then #kernel boot param.
LESSPARTS0="`echo "$LESSPARTS0" | grep "${PDEV1}|"`"
fi
;;
esac
fi
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

rcrsn51

#483 Post by rcrsn51 »

I suspect that Volhout is correct about this being a timing issue. Old Puppies like 431 were inefficient at finding their sfs. So by the time a USB device had initialized, Puppy was ready to find it.

But newer Puppies do a more efficient search and may look for the sfs file on a USB device before it is ready.

Try the boot option "puppy pmedia=xxx". Because this is a bogus option, Puppy will start a full search. It may eventually find the sfs file correctly.

gcmartin

Which USBx?

#484 Post by gcmartin »

Here's another question that might be contributory:
Is this USB1 OR USB2 OR USB3? Remember USB1 is from the 486/Pentium1 days.

The issue maybe if someone has a similar or newer USB config for testing who could share that its consistent, no matter which USBx is used, OR if its related to the USBx.

If issues with USB are reported, should we be reported which USBx is having the problem so that community may better be able to address?

Question
Does anyone have an external USB CD/DVD drive to test this phenomenon?

hope this idea is helpful, if applicable.

ETP

sfs doesn't load

#485 Post by ETP »

Hi inoxidabile,

This is indeed a fascinating problem and I agree with gcmartin, that for the future benefit of the puppy community, it is one worth trying to solve.
I had an almost identical issue trying to boot 533 from a USB stick when I ran without a hard disc for a few days. Changing the boot codes in syslinux from sdb1 to sda1 solved the problem. It would I believe, be worth trying to get your system to boot by any means if only to then determine how the running puppy perceives the various drives. It would give clues to how the ISO could be re-mastered with appropriate boot codes in isolinux.cfg for your system.

If you are game and have a second USB port (assuming that no variation on pmedia= works) could you copy the main sfs from the ISO to the root of a non-bootable
USB stick then attempt the following:

1. Simply try booting from the CD with that stick also plugged in.(Puppy might find the sfs)

2. If that fails (which it probably will) try again with the stick plugged in and try in turn each of the following boot codes:

a) pupsfs=sda1:/puppy_lxpup_12.sfs

b) pupsfs=sdb1:/puppy_lxpup_12.sfs

b) pupsfs=sdc1:/puppy_lxpup_12.sfs

(Substitute the correct name for your sfs if need be)
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]