usr_dev.sfs wll not download

Booting, installing, newbie
kuejoe

#1 Post by kuejoe »

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... uppylinux/

This was the last place before I bagged it.
It freezes mozilla and a wierd page comes up.
HALP...
I need this file.

Thanks to all in advance!

MU

#2 Post by MU »

dewdrop

#3 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Pups,

I've tried downloading this file from both sites noted by MU, and neither downloads correctly using Puppy 109 CE.....the page on the browsers fill with garbage after you select the file and the download begins.

I'm going to check this situation out further with other versions of Puppy.

This is a necessary file for using the CUPS Printer installation process, and needs to be able to be downloaded at least for that purpose, and I'd suspect that other things need it too.

dewdrop

MU

#4 Post by MU »

right-click -> save link target as

Mark

dewdrop

usr_devx.sfs file won't download

#5 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Pups,

Mark, I'm going to post this info about the links I've found then try your solution noted in the post above.

I will post this message, then do your procedure, then edit this post with what I find out.

dewdrop

It is broken on these pages:

(1) Puppy Home Page/popular downloads....left hand column of the page.
(2) Puppy Home Page/Navigation/Downloads/#4 Various Useful files page.

The following link reacts the way a person downloading a file would normally expect....ie. It opens a dialog asking where a person wants the file to be saved on the hard disk.

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/

///////EDIT

I did as MU instructed....held my mouse over the links in his post above, right clicked my mouse, and it brought up a window asking where to save the file, I also checked this procedure with (1) and (2) above, and it works for them too.

I guess my confusion is what to expect when I use the "normal" download method of left clicking, and expecting to see a page requesting where to save the file to be downloaded, and this more direct method of right clicking to bring up the "where do you want to save the file", window.

The link in Flash's Resources for Beginners page -
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=597
goes back to #2 above, so that should cover that angle too.

MU

#6 Post by MU »

.sfs is no registered filetype in Webbrowsers, so the browser "asks" the webserver what it is. It also has no special header like .zip-files (the first byte in the file, that can be used as identifier).
If the Webserver has no idea either, it is assumed it is a textfile.
The webserver can be told with an entry in ".htaccess" to treat .sfs -files as binary file, so it is up to the webmaster, to do that.
As the links above are on webservers, where we are not webmaster, we have no influence on this behaviour.
Just on my own server I could do it (on http://dotpups.de you can left-click .sfs-files).
The same is with .gz and .deb, what caused GuestToo to use zip instead of gz for Dotpups (.pup is a renamed .zip).
Mark

dewdrop

usr_devx.sfs file won't download

#7 Post by dewdrop »

MU wrote:.sfs is no registered filetype in Webbrowsers, so the browser "asks" the webserver what it is. It also has no special header like .zip-files (the first byte in the file, that can be used as identifier).
If the Webserver has no idea either, it is assumed it is a textfile.
The webserver can be told with an entry in ".htaccess" to treat .sfs -files as binary file, so it is up to the webmaster, to do that.
As the links above are on webservers, where we are not webmaster, we have no influence on this behaviour.
Just on my own server I could do it (on http://dotpups.de you can left-click .sfs-files).
The same is with .gz and .deb, what caused GuestToo to use zip instead of gz for Dotpups (.pup is a renamed .zip).
Mark
Mark,

I learned some more from you today. Thank you!

dewdrop