[SOLVED]Increase size personal file (xxsave.sfs): add error?

Please post any bugs you have found
linuph

[SOLVED]Increase size personal file (xxsave.sfs): add error?

#1 Post by linuph »

I run Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.2.8 on a 512Mb laptop. Booting is from CD. The xxxxsave.sfs file (personal file) is on a flash disk. I do not use a swap file.

I started off with a 64Mb save file size. No problems until I started using Firefox and installed new programs. Running out of save space, I first increased it with 64Mb, then 128 Mb and lastly with 256Mb between restarts. That adds up to 512 Mb, right?. At that point, some 300Mb was still free, not used by Puppy.

However, problems arose, like slowing down and freezing. Dmesg reported problems on the flash disk and suggested to do a e2fsck.

After renaming the save file, restart of Puppy and creation of a new save file of 512Mb, all was back to normal. When I checked the file size of the old (renamed) save file, it was 562Mb in stead of 512Mb.

When I tried to unsquash the old save file, I got an error: 'Can't find a SQUASH superblock on.....'.

Now wonder I ran into troubles with the old save file....
Last edited by linuph on Wed 15 Aug 2012, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

Why do you want to unsquash an ext2-4.2fs file ?
:lol:
.2FS is NOT a .SFS file.

linuph

#3 Post by linuph »

@Karl
Ah...you're correct. I intended to unsquash the 2fs file to get some self-made scripts back. I guess that's not the way. Anyhow, I now make backups of self-made scripts.

Nevertheless, the question remains why the 2fs file is 562Mb when it should be 512Mb.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

However, problems arose, like slowing down and freezing. Dmesg reported problems on the flash disk and suggested to do a e2fsck.
Who knows what this did to the old save file. Could explain size mismatch. Asking to do a e2fsck on the file system, is usually correcting file system errors, such as size reporting.

Have you tried this on a good working save file with no reported errors or other problems?
What program are you using to report file size?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Karl Godt

#5 Post by Karl Godt »

Normally it should be enough to click on a save.2fs file to mount it. Using the cli it would be

Code: Select all

/usr/sbin/filemnt "/path/to/save_my_name.2fs"
where "/path/to/" would be something like /mnt/home/folder/ .

Where the additional 50MB come frome i have no idea.
Never had such happen.
Do you use a swap-file pupswap.swp or a swap-partition (ie /dev/sdb4) ?

"e2fsck /path/to/folder/pup_save_my_name.2fs"

like bigpup suggests is recommended first thing i would try to do, too.

linuph

#6 Post by linuph »

I think it has to do with reassignment of USB ports. Let me explain:

My laptop has two USB ports which were used as follows:

USB 0
USB flash with general data

USB 1
USB memcard reader incl. 3x USB port
--> SD card with Puppy save file
--> USB BT dongle
--> USB WiFi dongle
--> USB other

If something is plugged into "other" or a dongle removed, the memcard reader reassigns the USB ports (including the card reader port), which it is supposed to do. This somehow messes up the save file on the SD card.

I changed it into this:

USB 0
USB flash with Puppy save file

USB 1
--> SD card with general data
--> USB BT dongle
--> USB WiFi dongle
--> USB other

Here the Puppy save file is not touched when something is plugged into "other". It's "safe". There are no problems with the SD card.

Still, in this setup, USB port reassignment has some awkward effects. When something is plugged into "other", WiFi and BT are cancelled, reassigned and restarted. Or, if the BT dongle is removed, WiFi is cancelled. Same if the other way around. But that's something I can live with.

Karl Godt

#7 Post by Karl Godt »

linuph, could you post a hyperlink for the

?

kernel/udev tend to reassign but here it seems to me the external hardware triggers something to the kernel.

linuph

#8 Post by linuph »

@Karl
The memcard reader incl. 3x USB port is an unknown-made-in-China-rebranded-20-in-a-dozen-run-off-the-mill thingy, so I can't provide more info. However, I bet an awful lot of USB hubs will have the same chip, whatever it is.

I attached a sketch. In situation 1 there are problems with the Puppy save file when something is plugged in/out port A or B of USB hub 1 or USB hub 2.
In situation 2 there are no such problems with Puppy save.

Maybe the sketch helps a bit to understand.
Attachments
OneTwo.jpg
(118.63 KiB) Downloaded 365 times