Puppy v Tablet

Promote Puppy !
gcmartin

Tablet directions by industry experts and corporate surveys

#31 Post by gcmartin »

I had posted before that I would not draw attention to our world's direction.

But, this link is for our serious consideration about where our world is moving toward.

Assuming understanding, Puppy could figure into this direction. This IS the direction as I am looking at CEO requests and reports of 2013+ directions in Corporate tool needs.

This does not require "Einstein-ium" wisdom or "Crystal-balling" for understanding as we are witnessing it all over the world.

Hope understanding.

greengeek

#32 Post by greengeek »

My biggest concern with Tablets and smartphones is that they concentrate power in the hands of those who design them. I would prefer to use Puppy on my netbook rather than use Android or some form of iOS of MicosoftOS on a fancy tablet. Just because I do not like to trust such companies with my data.

I use Puppy almost exclusively during my working day - and I connect to our corporate server through the wifi/3G link on my Android phone. The Android provides only the means of data transfer - rather than making me dependent on it's apps.

I think we will see corporates develop their own apps for these devices - and they will be "locked down" in such a way that Puppy will not have a chance to duplicate them.

I already experience this with my companies online training courses - no puppy browser can connect to them. I have contacted the company that sets up the training and they told me that IE is the only browser that can connect (by deliberate design). I told them that was a silly policy and they laughed at me. They said it was a deliberate strategy that ties the browser to the company that pays the bill for the online training.

No pay, no access.

I don't know specifically how they alter the browser to allow connection, but I think it is an example of "tailormade" apps that force the user to work a certain way - instead of giving the user the freedom to work in the most productive or desirable way.

A puppy tablet would be useful, but only if the corporate world accepts it. And I don't see much likelihood of most corporates allowing a device that is open-rooted.

Jasper

#33 Post by Jasper »

Hi greengeek,

I use Slacko 5.3.1 and I have QtWeb portable browser (though I rarely use it).

However, it does have two particularly nice features:

(1) If you make a folder with any name (e.g. MyQT) and put the downloaded portable browser file (that looks a cog wheel in it) then all subsequent subsidiary files of QT will be saved and updated in MyQT (and that directory can be moved to a location of choice and after making the cog file executable just click it).

(2) There is toolbar icon/dropdown list (see picture below) that (though I haven't tested it) says you can choose compatibilty with IE etc.

My regards

PS If any of you try it set to IE kindly let us know if it works.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(17.68 KiB) Downloaded 866 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#34 Post by Lobster »

Despite the limitations, I am spending 90% of my time on a tablet (Ipad3).
If I was writing software, tablet is not ideal.
Just like with Puppy I am finding my way around limitations of the experience.

Initially I was using the tablet as an augmentation to the Raspberry Pi and Puppy . . .

Barry has been working on woof (and remember this now compiles for ARM processors) which are ideal for tablets.

I would not want to run Puppy on an Ipad because it is not configured or suited to the environment .. . yet . . .. Two years from now, when I buy another cheaper, better, longer battery life etc, I hope I will have the choice . . . :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

greengeek

#35 Post by greengeek »

Jasper wrote:I use Slacko 5.3.1 and I have QtWeb portable browser
Thanks Jasper - did you find the QtWeb via the Slacko PPM or as a static file from somewhere else?

Jasper

#36 Post by Jasper »

Hi greengeek,

Google qtweb > click downloads > choose Linux 13.4 MB version.

I almost sure that's how I got it - seemed familiar when I just googled,

Good luck with it and IE compatibility.

My regards

gcmartin

#37 Post by gcmartin »

@GreenGeek.

I haven't done this in about 4 years, but, I seem to remember that methods exist in turning on perferences such that your browser tells the upstream webhost that it is IE.

I would expect that this feature in SeaMonkey (where I used it) or Firefox "might" meet your needs. Many Corporates use Microsoft web-servers and elements to insure that the browsers meet some .NET, and others conformity in IE.

the filters I mentioned may properly announce to the upstream webhost, where it may/may-not match all of the needs.

Here to help

gcmartin

64bit ARM available

#38 Post by gcmartin »

Don't know how many are aware of US decision to allow jail-breaking on phones but not on tablets. I think this brings to an end what US people can do with tablets in light of that decision.

But, for the rest of the world, we may still be able to move forward.

One other announcement that came to light is the working relationship of ARM and Microsoft seen in this media clip.

Thsi means that my tested version of LightHouse64 V5.15F will load and run totally in RAM on the current 64bit ARM .... assuming of course that there is an 64bit ARM kernel.

Here to help

jpeps

Re: 64bit ARM available

#39 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:Don't know how many are aware of US decision to allow jail-breaking on phones but not on tablets. I think this brings to an end what US people can do with tablets in light of that decision.
ha ha; wrong

I read this comment:
Only if the bootloader is locked. If you buy from a company like asus, they post the unlock tool right on their support page. The law only applies to breaking DRM. If the manufacturer waives it, you're in the clear.
Clearly, instructions on how to root your android device are all over the internet, and are widely supported. I wouldn't and haven't thought twice about rooting my nexus7.

Here's another quote:
We are very pleased that the existing exemptions for jailbreaking and vidding were renewed and, in the case of vidding, significantly extended. That is an important victory for tinkerers and creators," EFF's intellectual property director Corynne McSherry told CNET. "It's unfortunate that the Copyright Office didn't take the logical next step and extend the jailbreaking exemption to tablets and consoles, but we are confident it will do so in the next round."

Bottom line: unless you're engaged in pirating software, I wouldn't be concerned, and nobody else is either.

(I think there are also laws against fellatio).
As far as I know, "sodomy" is considered to be anything other than missionary position. Butt-sex, blowjobs, doggy style, reverse cowgirl, 69, cunnilingus, sideways, standing up, lotus position, and pretty much the entirety of the Kama Sutra are technically illegal.
Typical response:
I think that I've violated every archaic, unenforced law mentioned so far.

sunburnt

#40 Post by sunburnt »

I watch my kids play with their Galaxy phones and it`s nice to check movie times at theaters, etc.
But I never considered phones or tablets to be a serious computer, just portable communicators.

I took my son and his friend to McDs, his friend had a 10" tablet with a kick out table stand on it.
I thought... If you had a wireless keyboard and mouse it could work fairly well as a desktop PC.
Later at home I saw a Yahoo video of a guy walking into work using a tablet, he set it upright on the table,
pulled out a wireless folding keyboard and mouse and in seconds was typing an email and preparing work.
I thought... Now that`s the future, one device that can do the work of several. No big monitor, but usable.

# I`ll watch with interest the effort to add touch control, etc. to Puppy.

greengeek

Re: 64bit ARM available

#41 Post by greengeek »

jpeps wrote:...lotus position,
Who has the money to afford a car like that? If I did i wouldn't be getting jiggy in it.

sunburnt

#42 Post by sunburnt »

Good one greengeek... :lol:

Pelo

New topic ? no.. this one is perfect.

#43 Post by Pelo »

New topic ? no.. this one is perfect.
I hate i pads and tablets because i get nervous typing on tiny keyboard. Screens are too tiny too.

PS :
What i ask puppy is to allow seniors to move, by verifying if drivers for wireless and dongle are available for laptops they bought .