Sudden black screen. Any hotkeys to reset?

Using applications, configuring, problems
npierce

#16 Post by npierce »

n0ukf wrote:I was editing a text document when suddenly the screen just went blank (black but still backlit).
n0ukf wrote:. . . tried ctrl-s in case Geany uses that to save the current file, don't know yet if that took. but no change in the screen . . .
Did you later find that your Ctrl-s worked?

If it did work, then geany still had keyboard focus, and the remainder of this post doesn't apply to this case.

If it didn't work, it is possible that you may have somehow been switched to another virtual console. Some virtual consoles in Puppy have login prompts or other text, but some are blank and backlit as you described. (You may see a single blinking cursor.) For instance, if you meant to press Ctrl+Shift+F9 but accidently pressed Ctrl+Alt+F9, you would end up in virtual console 9.

The Puppies that I have used all run X on virtual console 4. So if you find yourself out in the cold, pressing Ctrl+Alt+F4 should get you back. (Other distros (and possibly other Puppies?) may run X elsewhere, such as virtual console 2 or 6.)

Of course, there are many other possibilities, like X may have crashed without restoring the video registers to allow viewing the test console. If that is the case, not much will help, except restarting X as Dewbie explained above -- also, you might need to press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get back to virtual console 1 before typing xwin.

n0ukf

#17 Post by n0ukf »

I haven't seen it blank now for a few weeks but it does occasionally get horizontal jitters. Swithing between desktop 1 and 2 will stop it for a while, as will switching virtual consoles. I just noticed today that while the display will jitter sideways, the mouse pointer does not. I'll keep watching for another blank to try the console switching. Until theren any guesses whether the blanking and the jitters are related or not?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." [i]Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen[/i]

n0ukf

#18 Post by n0ukf »

First a note on the above. When the screen is jittering, the mouse pointer isn't, and changing tabs in Firefox also stops the jitters.

Today when visiting a site, the screen went blank but in a color from that site, not black or gray as mentioned before. Trying to change virtual consoles back and forth (ctrl+alt+f1 & ctrl+alt+f4) did absolutely nothing, so the whole system was locked up.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." [i]Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen[/i]

slavvo67

Blank Screen

#19 Post by slavvo67 »

This happened to me but I could still see the menu icon in the bottom left. I chose shutdown and Restart X server. Bada bing.

Hope it works.