Puppy Saves Lexmark X1170 All-In-One From Tip

Promote Puppy !
andreask

Puppy Saves Lexmark X1170 All-In-One From Tip

#1 Post by andreask »

Greetings Fellow Puppy Users,

Just a vote of thanks to the various developers of Puppy.

I have an old Lexmark X1170 all-in-one-printer/copier/scanner which worked in Windows XP and Apple Mac PPC (pre-Intel chip) machines but not in the latest Mac Mountain Lion or Linux Mint 13 (Maya).

I had tried for hours to get software for both these two systems, but no good. Google for information, driverguide.com, and others.

I had thought of buying a new all-in-one or scanner to run in Mac, checked eBay for a second-hand all-in-one, etc. But nothing suited my needs.

Then I had the thought simply to try Puppy just to see if I could get this Lexmark to work. (BTW, Lexmark seems to be very Linux unfriendly, certainly with Mint.)

"Straight out of the box" Puppy just worked.

I'm wrapped.

So, again thanks to Barry Kauler et al for your dedication and service.

Kindest regards,

Andreas Krokene,
Scarborough, WA, Aust.
Andreas Krokene
I'm more of a cat-man, myself! :D

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

The standard SANE scanner driver has always supported some older Lexmark models like the X1100 series. I don't know why some newer distros would have removed it. Read here

Out of curiosity, did you also install a printer driver, or are you just using the scanner function?

andreask

Reply to rcrsn51

#3 Post by andreask »

Thanks rcrsn51 for your reply.

The ink in the Lexmark dried in the capillary tubes years ago, so I only use the scanner function. It was a case then that I didn't use the printer often enough, which led to the ink drying.

Thanks also for the reference to SANE. I could not get SANE to work in Mint so I downloaded another scanner programme. That still didn't work for me.

I meant to mention in my original post that I used Slacko Puppy 5.3.3
Andreas Krokene
I'm more of a cat-man, myself! :D