How to compile drivers & make .pets of them?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
bark_bark_bark

How to compile drivers & make .pets of them?

#1 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I want to compile a drivers for my SuperDog, but I don't know how to convert them into .pet :( . Could Somebody tell me how to compile Driver PETs?

pemasu

#2 Post by pemasu »

Please give an example of what kind driver. Driver name and for what purpose. Then the advicing is easier.

bark_bark_bark

#3 Post by bark_bark_bark »

ex: HP Printers, AMD Gfx Card, ATI Legacy Gfx Card

pemasu

#4 Post by pemasu »

ATI/AMD proprietary graphics drivers for 3.2.X - 3.4.X kernels is not the easiest task.
The start is easy. Just load devx sfs and kernel source sfs of your puppy version. Download ati/amd driver installation package. Run it...and notice that kernel module does not compile. Hunt patches which are needed for that kernel. They differ depending the kernel version. Patch the kernel module source, needs reading the patch so that you do it right.

Compile the kernel module and install it.

Then...if you need to create a pet of it....that is something which is difficult for me. I dont have working ATI graphics. I have dual graphics with ati also....but that dual graphics does not work so good so I use inbuild intel.

I have just hunted the installed stuff and petted it. And not with so good success always.

For nvidia there is nice getnvidia installer pet. It is in fact marvellous piece of Shinobars work.

Conclusion. Compiling and installing ati driver is fairly easy. Most time goes to hunt right patch for it. But petting it is not so straighforward. I would suggest starting the compiling extra third party drivers with something else.

Even compiling new kernel is easier...lol.

bark_bark_bark

#5 Post by bark_bark_bark »

what about HP Printers?

pemasu

#6 Post by pemasu »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58421

In the link you find the guy who knows about HP Printers. I havent ever needed to compile anything for them. I have used existing foo2xxx pet all these years.

Also rcrsn51 knows about everything about printing, cups and drivers. He is really helpful when ppl has problems with printing.

I think that puplet creator should provide working cups...also for shared printers and network printers...attached to the routers....and then users can find knowledge how to get their spesific printer or network work with them. I havent ever provided extra packages. They are usually found from this forum...with help.