Puppy 2 alpha test on Compaq USB keyboard

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
papakanush

Puppy 2 alpha test on Compaq USB keyboard

#1 Post by papakanush »

As is well documented, there has been a history of problems with Puppy 107 or 108r1 recognizing the usb keyboard on Compaq Presario desktop usb keyboard. I read on Barry's April 6th news that a new automatic keyboard detection was put in. I burned the Puppy2 alpha yesterday, and during bootup on the Compaq, it got to the keyboard type selection menu, but the arrow keys on the usb keyboard were unable to do anything. Hence, I was unable to go any further.

As far as Puppy 107 and 108, I have had the same experience as others in the forum, where the keyboard responds during the initial boot-up, but fails to respond on subsequent boot-ups.

I continue to use Puppy 107 on my IBM R40 thinkpad laptop with pup001 on NTFS with M$XP, because the sound is an issue with 108.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Pakt had the same problem, and solved it, on the puppy2 developers forum.

The detection code is in /etc/rc.d/rc.local0, and pakt found the the lines that
read the file /proc/bus/usb/devices were getting wrong information.
He found that inserting

Code: Select all

sleep 1
at the beginning of rc.local0 fixed it.

You can also try this, if you can manage to get a keyboard to work -- pakt had
the internal keyboard on his laptop which worked -- edit rc.local0 then
reboot.

papakanush

#3 Post by papakanush »

Thanks Barry,

I'm honored to get a reply from you. Unfortunately, using booting up on puppy2 on the Compaq Presario desktop, the keyboard was unrecognized from the very beginning, so was unable to get that far.

I did try the same thing after booting up with puppy 108r1, as the keyboard works on the 1st bootup. But unfortunately, the usb keyboard was still locked up on subsequent bootups. The usb mouse still works. I'm thinking it may have to do that this keyboard is a little too "smart" with all the extra internet related shortcut buttons that I never use. Or perhaps, the pup001 file that is automatically created on the same partition that I have ubuntu on is getting things confused between OS's, I don't know. After each bootup on 108r1, I just go back into ubuntu to erase the pup001 file, so that each bootup is a fresh bootup (that is how I am typing to you now). I'll keep trying different things. The benefits of puppy are good enough. Even with these quirks, it is still my favorite. It works great on my laptop, just trying to get it to work on my home desktop.

Thanks from one of the newbie, but persistent, users.

DJM

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

papakanush wrote:Unfortunately, using booting up on puppy2 on the Compaq Presario desktop, the keyboard was unrecognized from the very beginning, so was unable to get that far.
Does the computer have a ps/2 keyboard socket? If so, find a ps/2 keyboard and
plug it in, leaving the usb keyboard plugged in as well -- then you will be able
to do what pakt did.

papakanush

#5 Post by papakanush »

Got a cheap keboard with a PS2 plug, and it works great.