RedshiftGUI 0.2.4 integrated package: redshiftgui + wrapper

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
rerwin

RedshiftGUI 0.2.4 integrated package: redshiftgui + wrapper

#1 Post by rerwin »

Redshiftgui changes the color temperature of your monitor to better match that of your surrounding. This means that it sets a cooler color temperature during the daytime (due to natural lighting) and sets a warmer temperature at night (due to indoor lighting). Similar to f.lux, this is a GUI port of the redshift project.
The available packages of redshiftGUI leave it up to the user to set up automatic startup during bootup. The attached package provides automatic startup and prevents multiple redshiftGUI sessions by terminating any running instances. It can be installed in a distro but does not start redshiftGUI at bootup or upon graphic server (X) restart.

With this package, the user activates automatic startup by starting it from the Utility menu and setting and saving a geographical location (latitude and longitude) other than 0 and 0. Then, redshiftGUI will start at boot time and whenever the graphical interface (X) is restarted.

UPDATE 11/24/18:
Although the wrapper+deb method of installation works for tahr and xenial pups, they will fail in Bionic-and-later pups, due to dependence on a legacy version of a library file. This complication forced me to create integrated pet packages that include RedshiftGUI, the wrapper and the workaround for the problem. The redshiftgui-0.2.4 packages work on tahr pups and later pups where the old setup will fail (Bionic and beyond).

Continuation of original description: (end of update text)

The latest release of redshiftGUI is 0.2.4 ("Bug fix release for locales."), which contains a bug that is managed by the "wrapper" script (redshiftgui.sh). But release 0.2.1 is sufficient and must be used in puppies older than tahrpup. RedshiftGUI is available as .deb packages at these links: Puppies older than tahrpup may also need the libxcb-randr0 .deb package from their ubuntu-*-main repository, via Puppy Package Manager.

Here are some details about what the wrapper does:
  • Wrapper for redshiftGUI
    Ensures correct configuration file "map" separators (',', not |).
    Kills any running redshiftGUI.
    Automatic minimized startup only if a location other than 0 0 specified.
    Menu invocation never minimized unless redshiftgui_tray is disabled (made non-executable).
UPDATE continuation:
Although the wrapper has been added to woofCE and is in xenial, bionic and cosmic pups, I will be removing it because it is now in the pet packages. I plan to request that they be added to the repos for download. They are now also available in my mediafire account:
Attachments
redshiftgui_wrapper-20171120.pet
Superseded by integrated packages at the links immediately above.
Automatic start of redshiftGUI, if present
Improved and reorganized for woofCE compatibility.
(1.15 KiB) Downloaded 536 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 25 Nov 2018, 14:06, edited 3 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, Richard.

Hm. Interesting. I've been running RedShiftGUI 0.2.1 (stu90's .pet, BTW) for ages, with the binary in /usr/bin sym-linked into /root/Startup. Works fine.

Now, then; put me right on something here, if you would. Do I take it that if I wanted to use this in my Pups, I would need to delete /root/.redshiftgrc (and remove the sym-linked binary from /root/Startup).....followed by installing your wrapper .pet, then set things up again as per your instructions?

Does that sound about right?

As for submitting it to Woof-CE.....brilliant idea. This is one of the most essential utilities I can think of that should be in every Puppy.....by default.

Nice one!

Mike. :wink:

rerwin

#3 Post by rerwin »

Mike Walsh,
Thanks for reinforcing my opinion that redshiftgui belongs in all Puppies. That is why I created the wrapper, to take care of some inconveniences.

You do not need to change anything but remove the Startup link and install the wrapper. That will change the menu item (.desktop) to point to the wrapper script.

EDIT: To get a menu entry in "Utility", the file
/usr/share/applications/redshiftgui.desktop
needs to be changed, so that the "Categories=" line becomes:

Code: Select all

Categories=Utility
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 24 Nov 2017, 22:38, edited 2 times in total.

jake29

#4 Post by jake29 »

Thanks for this, rerwin. I've been using Redshift for years, but only manually setting the colour temperature.

rerwin

New redshiftgui pet packages for puppies after Xenial

#5 Post by rerwin »

Because RedshiftGUI requires an additional workaround in order to work in Bionic and Cosmic pups, I have combined the RedshiftGUI deb package with the wrapper and the workaround, which includes the Xenial version of libcurl.so.2 (4.4.0) to allow ReshiftGUI to function.

The 64- and 32-bit packages replace the previous deb+wrapper method of installation. They work in tahr and xenial but ignore the workaround because it is unnecessary for them. The packages are here:
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 25 Nov 2018, 14:13, edited 2 times in total.

peebee

Re: New redshiftgui pet packages for puppies after Xenial

#6 Post by peebee »

Fixed - links now work aok
Last edited by peebee on Sun 25 Nov 2018, 17:49, edited 2 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ peebee:-

Peter, that could be to do with MediaFire at their end. They are pretty good at sorting out problems when they arise, but I too have had "issues" with them before now.

There could be a glitch occurring that Richard's not yet aware of, FWIW.

Mike. :wink:

rerwin

#8 Post by rerwin »

Peebee,
Thanks for letting me know about the problem. I have re-uploaded them and updated the links in both of my postings. They seem to work, for me.

Please update the quote in your posting, to remove the "" and "" from the links, to deactivate them and avoid trouble if users click on them. Thanks.
Richard