Slacko 5.4 - FINAL 2 Dec 2012

News, happenings
James C

#166 Post by James C »

Purely for informational purposes.......

Code: Select all

# glmark.sh
Let the test run or press ESC to abort. 
It will take a couple of minutes
width 400  height 400  depth 24  0
===================================================
    GLMark 08
Enter screen width:  Enter screen height: Enter screen bpp:    Enter '1' for fullscreen '0' for windowed: ===================================================
    OpenGL Information
    GL_VENDOR:     Nouveau
    GL_RENDERER:   Mesa DRI nv18 x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE
    GL_VERSION:    1.2 Mesa 8.0.4
/usr/sbin/glmark.sh: line 35: 22833 Done                    echo "$W $H $D $param"
     22834 Segmentation fault      | ./glmark
# 

01micko

#167 Post by 01micko »

Oh well James.. I guess the code base for that app is a bit flakey :lol: . Not much chop as a benchmark!

-----------------------------------

Here's umplayer , patched for Youtube which apparently broke on 14/09/2012 (09/14/2012 US)

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/pet_pac ... d-i686.pet

REQUIRES qt (see a few pages back)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

gcmartin

Boot logic issues with multiple bootmanagers in most PUPs

#168 Post by gcmartin »

This post is about Boot logic issues
I would agree with anyone about whether the issue of "standard" boot-logic in Puppy should be aired in this thread....BUT, it is shared here.

One of the problems this thread presents is whether its collaboration will produce results that Barry would entertain.

One result I remember was accomplished by @Shinobar several years ago when he produced his Puppy distro "QuickSET". When this Puppy distro was booted, he introduced
  1. booting directly to desktop,
  2. an Initial user tool for system tailoring, and
  3. a GRUB4DOS boot manager
....all from a simple CD boot.

At the time, there were several evolutionary startup system strategies introduced with his approach. Two of those strategies has tremendous adoption across the spectrum of Puppy distro development as is almost universally used by most of the mainstream developers.

One that remains is a kinda interesting startup feature. Here's why:
  • When one does a BootManager install using all Puppies from the Menu, it installs GRUB4DOS. Also, there is another PUP tool that makes use of GRUB4DOS as well.
GRUB4DOS offers some advantages, but, there is a disconnect between what we get from an initial ISO (syslinux) versus GRUB4DOS used thereafter in the system.

Since these are 2 different products, maybe its time for Barry and the community to consider "Which should be the 2012-2013 Bootmanager?" In other words, would the community benefit from just using one of these, versus,having to understand or have knowledge of 2/both of these 2 different tools and their individual behavior.s.

This would simplify community support to a single approach and provide consistency when reviewing operations and addressing usability and implementation issues. Since GRUB4DOS is proliferated within PUPPY after initial system boot, maybe, the initial system boot as @Shinobar demonstrated couple years ago should be the bootmanager which is not only available after system boot, but, maybe it also should replace the current bootmanager (syslinux) as well.

Then, when bootmanager issues are addressed and help is provided, it will work the same whether booting from ISO or booting after initial Puppy use.

I've always wondered about whether there are inhibitors to adopting a single GRUB4DOS tool's use. It merely appears that this would.could be something which is done at the WOOF level for all Puppy distro development. And, I am not sure if @Shinobar could offer an approach he used with his Quickset distro.

Here to help

futwerk

#169 Post by futwerk »

a few backgrounds.
Attachments
pupse7,3r3.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(20.29 KiB) Downloaded 1391 times
pupse7,3r2.jpg
(8 KiB) Downloaded 1451 times
pupse7,3r1.jpg
(7.65 KiB) Downloaded 1400 times

tlchost

#170 Post by tlchost »

Will there be a PAE version as a final? I'd be happy to test one here...
My system has a 2TB drive and 16 gigs of memory....very few puppies recognize both the drive and all the memory.

I run bootable USB systems

Thom

turf

#171 Post by turf »

installed inkscape .48.1 spup.pet but it didn't work on this beta.

darkcity

#172 Post by darkcity »

turf wrote:installed inkscape .48.1 spup.pet but it didn't work on this beta.
Hi turf, can you provide more information-
Do you get any error messages if you run it from terminal? Did it work on 5.3.1 or 5.3.3?

01micko

#173 Post by 01micko »

gcmartin

At the moment I don't have time to deviate much from the woof template. Any booting issues will be documented in the release notes.

-

futwerk

Nice as usual, thanks. :)

-

tlchost

Yes, a PAE version will be offered, but differing to Barry's approach with precise, I have the exact same kernel config for both releases, and the builds will be identical except for kernel, so in this testing stage PAE is a perk that will come soon.

-

turf

Thanks for the report. Inkscape will be recompiled for release. Many (nearly all) underlying libraries have been upgraded. As darkcity said, try from commandline. Often symlinking to the library that is said to be missing (when run from command) can cure the problem.

-

Jades

#174 Post by Jades »

tlchost wrote:Will there be a PAE version as a final? I'd be happy to test one here...
My system has a 2TB drive and 16 gigs of memory....very few puppies recognize both the drive and all the memory.
16GB of RAM?! That's more than the total hard drive space I had in my old PIII 450! In its final configuration it had 13 Computer Industry Gigabytes, one hard drive with 10GB and one with 3.2GB.

Out of curiosity, do you have a specific purpose for that much RAM or is it more a case of building the highest-specced machine you can?

Before the drive went a little Pete Tong, I'm pretty sure I could see all 1.5TB of the Western Digital SATA unit in Merlin when using both Lupu 528 005 and Slacko 533. Never got anywhere near filling it. Probably just as well really!
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

tlchost

#175 Post by tlchost »

Jades wrote:
tlchost wrote:Will there be a PAE version as a final? I'd be happy to test one here...
Out of curiosity, do you have a specific purpose for that much RAM or is it more a case of building the highest-specced machine you can?
I no longer build computers.....i'd rather pay a bit more and have a warranty. Looked at an ad from one of the larger computer hardware places....their kit offering with less ram and a smaller hard drive than mine was 30 per cent more than I paid.

I believe Puppy Devs need to consider that a lot of folks will purchase a copmputer with large drives and lots of memory....if they try a puppy that does not see the large hard drive and/or the large memory, they may be put off.

I think another consideration might be 64 bit hardware versus 32 bit...

I regret not taking notes...but a significant number of puppies did not see my hard ddrive and/or the memory....Slacho does, and it also works on my Acer laptop...so I'm a happy camper.

Looking forward to the new Slacko.

Thom

sszindian

new gtkdialog

#176 Post by sszindian »

Can the new gtkdialog-0.8.2 be installed in Slacko without hurting anything? And might it correct the weather icons in pwidgets?

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

gcmartin

#177 Post by gcmartin »

There is much to be said about what occurred in 2006 to date. And, for many of us who have assist persons in purchases over the past 2 years, it has become obvious of the direction of the PC industry, overall.

No one of us should concern ourselves with drawing attention in a negative fashion to any user who comes our way in trying to use Puppy Linux on newer PCs.

This community and BarryK has provide all of us with distros which take advantage of ALL RAM (the technology those distro address has been in 32bit PCs since 1995) on your PCs ... whether that is a 256MB PC or a 64GB PC, 32bit PUPs will run.

Puppy provides the advantage in that once it loads it makes the remaining RAM not used by the running OS available to the system as a part of its filesystem. This is the primary reason our PUPs are so fast. Its tied to how it takes advantage of ALL RAM no matter how much you have.

SLACKO is just one of the 32bit PUPs that makes a PUP capable of taking advantage of all the RAM on your system for beneficial uses.

And, no one of us should be ashame to describe the PC platforms we have in efforts to request assistance in addressing chipset/hardware understanding.

I have been running "FATSLACKO" for several months without issue and it is using all RAM for my system's use and benefit.

FATSLACKO loads, then runnings using about 130MB (seen in Hardinfo) to support local and LAN needs on a PC with a 16GB USB split to provide a SWAP area. I have also tested that distro and found that it also is twice as fast in providing NAS functions than my Network attached NAS units.

Hard to argue with the benefits from the reports provided by the systems. All this from a system that I have NOT installed any addtional PPM packages because it delivers a "FULL" desktop experience with top-of-the-line office suite, OOTB. This affords me an OOTB experience equivalent to MS and Apple via a DVD. WoW! :D

I am so very proud of the opportunity to be a part of this Forum and its community.

Keep up the good work for all of us....everyone.
P.S. This thread covers some of what has been found in Puppy distro advances

Here to help

James C

#178 Post by James C »

Slackware 14 is released.............

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07475

01micko

#179 Post by 01micko »

James C wrote:Slackware 14 is released.............

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07475
Yep 8)

Just have to wait until Salix catches up before I can do a build. It takes them quite a few hours to run their dependency scripts, then they have to rename the repos and such.

Then it will be a month or so before Slacky.eu catches up! They sure are casual those fellas! It was the same when 13.37 was released.

Q5sys

#180 Post by Q5sys »

subscribed.
I didnt expect Micko to be on this so fast... this might make it onto my netbook which is need of a fresh install. :)

01micko

#181 Post by 01micko »

Q5sys wrote:subscribed.
I didnt expect Micko to be on this so fast... this might make it onto my netbook which is need of a fresh install. :)
Well expect the unexpected :wink:. Not quite there .. yet.

Looking solid though with some nice new features and updates. With any luck, in 24 hrs or so I can offer a bone.

EDIT: full install is working too :) .. still a couple of issues but I'm posting from it, so that's how small they are.. incredible the boot speed of a full install, 5 seconds I reckon.

Iguleder

#182 Post by Iguleder »

01micko - finished my Slackware 14.0 porting efforts - seems great! All my stuff are here, everything should work OOTB.

So far it seems nice - the only issues were llvm, libnl3 and GTK+'s dependencies (libffi and libcroco), plus /run stuff - sorted this our using bind mounts of stuff under /var and /tmp.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

sszindian

mtpaint

#183 Post by sszindian »

01micko:

I'm sure you must be aware of this...

Mtpaint (last two versions of Slacko) would not load .jpg extension graphics.

5.3.5.3 mtpaint handled the .jpg's OK for a few weeks (I used it a lot) then all of a sudden, it won't load or display .jpg's again. When you try to load one, it knocks mtpaint right off the screen.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

oldyeller

#184 Post by oldyeller »

I have finally downloaded this today.

It works fine on my Dell D430.

mplayer plays good. Is this a new kernel? some multimedia doesn't work on this one

vlc and xine from slacko repo.

Edit: I see that it is a new kernel and things will not all work from repo, I guess should have done a better job on reading the first post :oops:

01micko

#185 Post by 01micko »

oldyeller wrote:
mplayer plays good. Is this a new kernel? some multimedia doesn't work on this one

vlc and xine from slacko repo.
It's not the kernel that causes problems with the old 533 apps it's the newer Slackware libraries. I face a bit of a dilemma there as if I upload the pets and the new database it breaks compatibility for those who have 533 and want to keep it. I have asked Barry the best way to tackle this without breaking backwards compatibility and without renaming slacko. Unfortunately this was a bit of an oversight with the woof design which probably needs addressing.

Certainly, if slacko development continues into the future, by the time Slackware hits version 15 or so, there will be next to zero compatibility with libs from (lets) say 13.1.