Slacko 5.4 - FINAL 2 Dec 2012

News, happenings
bigpup

#286 Post by bigpup »

01micko wrote:bigpup wrote:
Quote:
removed mtpaint-snapshot.sh

Why did you do this?.

Because screeny is better. It will open a snap in mtpaint (may make that default) and it will take window shots, and it will auto scale for forum compatibility. Screeny will be mapped to 'print screen' key, and it was oversight to leave in the desktop file for mtpainsnapshot.sh
In Rox
if I select an image file, choose open with MtPaint.
I get message it needs mtpaint-snapshot.sh
bigpup wrote:
Pcur cursor selector ..

I'll remove it
So you will not provide option to change cursor theme?

Pcur cursor selector will work.You just need to provide a cursor theme package in PPM, to download and install, for it to use.
Example:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -Lucid.pet
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#287 Post by 01micko »

I can move Pcur to the slacko repo I guess, it is possibly deleted from one of the old repos Barry had it in, he has done a big shake up, at least it's in the lupu one.

The right click is a side effect of the oversight in leaving in mtpaintsanapshot.desktop. They are auto generated. Once removed it wont generate.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

ETP

Cursors & cursor themes

#288 Post by ETP »

It has long struck me that “Puppy
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

Jejy69

#289 Post by Jejy69 »

Latest Cinnamon 1.6 with Puppy... 8)

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

01micko

#290 Post by 01micko »

The Slacky.eu guys have started.. not much in their repo yet, but it will grow.. Salix will grow too.

8)

mikeslr

cinnamon 1.6

#291 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Jejy69,

Somewhat of a cryptic post about cinnamon 1.6. Was it supposed to be to the LXPup thread? Looks like a rather interesting alternative desktop. Is there a pet? or can it be downloaded and installed using one of the sources listed here: http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?page_id=61? Which? Or will that depend on which Puppy?

mikesLr

MinHundHettePerro

#292 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hiya!

Slowly migrating from my trusted 5297pae ...

Two issues:
1. Installed Audacious (yes, I am stuck with/hooked on this since early winamp times, of anno dazumal) from PPM (slackware-repo) and there was this note about gtk3 missing, are we there already? - Anyway, I installed audacious from slackware-13.37 (gtk2); problem solved (for now),

2. Sometimes, Rox freaks out, leaving me without zeroes and ones, yes, the digits, (and, occasionally, also twos) - not doing anything special or demanding at all when this happens, can even occur at a fresh log-on - restarting X solves the issue; the missing digits are back in Rox. :shock:
(Does not occur in any other pup or distro, so rules out RAM or HDDs on the decline.)
- Memory leaks, or Brokendale again?

Anyway, apart from my whining above, looks really promising :).

Cheers :)/ MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

majorfoo

#293 Post by majorfoo »

MinHundHettePerro wrote:Hiya!

Installed Audacious (yes, I am stuck with/hooked on this since early winamp times, of anno dazumal) from PPM (slackware-repo) and there was this note about gtk3 missing, are we there already? - Anyway, I installed audacious from slackware-13.37 (gtk2); problem solved (for now),

I have been using audacious-3.2.3-2.pet that playdayz posted in June 2012. It has worked in all versions of Slacko that I have tired, plus the new precise versions provided by Barry.

You can get it at
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... ges-lucid/

Note this contains two sections. First section has all entries beginning with capital letter. Second section entries are all lower case. The pet you want is in the section section, if you want to try it. I have been using this version since it was first posted and it is also my favorite - small, user friendly and easy to use.

Billtoo

#294 Post by Billtoo »

majorfoo wrote:
MinHundHettePerro wrote:Hiya!

Installed Audacious (yes, I am stuck with/hooked on this since early winamp times, of anno dazumal) from PPM (slackware-repo) and there was this note about gtk3 missing, are we there already? - Anyway, I installed audacious from slackware-13.37 (gtk2); problem solved (for now),

I have been using audacious-3.2.3-2.pet that playdayz posted in June 2012. It has worked in all versions of Slacko that I have tired, plus the new precise versions provided by Barry.

You can get it at
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... ges-lucid/

Note this contains two sections. First section has all entries beginning with capital letter. Second section entries are all lower case. The pet you want is in the section section, if you want to try it. I have been using this version since it was first posted and it is also my favorite - small, user friendly and easy to use.
I managed to get the newest version compiled, needed to compile gtk3 and some other stuff.

I'm not posting any pets, 01micko is better at that if he gets some free time.

btw.. 5360 is awesome :)
Attachments
aboutaudacious.jpg
(65.93 KiB) Downloaded 1488 times

bigpup

#295 Post by bigpup »

Uninstalled a Nvidia driver package using PPM.
Got this message at end of process
Notice miss spelling of Nvidia.
M not N.
Attachments
capture24746.jpg
(23.14 KiB) Downloaded 1452 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#296 Post by bigpup »

Slacko 5.3.6.0

General observation about the menu.
Designers choice,
but seems several items are not in the proper menu location.

Example:
Geany
menu->Utility->Utilities->Geany
Instead of menu->Document->

Xarchive
menu->Utility->Utilities->
Instead of menu->Utility->Archiving->

Wizard Wizard
menu->Setup->System->
Instead of menu->Setup->Wizard->

Grub4dos Bootloader config in two locations.
menu->System->Info
menu->Setup->Utility

Etc...
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#297 Post by 01micko »

MinHundHettePerro wrote:Installed Audacious (yes, I am stuck with/hooked on this since early winamp times, of anno dazumal) from PPM (slackware-repo) and there was this note about gtk3 missing, are we there already? - Anyway, I installed audacious from slackware-13.37 (gtk2); problem solved (for now),
There seems to be some problem with PPM resolving version information. You mention GTK-3 as being one.. I'm not sure but I think PPM "thinks" it's already installed, which it's not. It also thinks that old GTK-1x is installed (am sure), again, not. This could well be related to the libdbusmenu-qt issue with installing kdegames (Billtoo's post a few pp back). This is one for upstairs.

As for your rox issue, it's rox. It's too freakin' old! We're talking 2007 code-base here.. with patches ahcked in willy nilly ever since. Best I can do is whack in a workaround to try to start if it's detected as not running by the time X is up.

For the record, audacious does work.. using now, added deps manually, gtk-3 and mpg-123 (PPM missed that one too).
Attachments
capture14259.png
(43.11 KiB) Downloaded 1375 times

Billtoo

Slacko - beta [5.4]

#298 Post by Billtoo »

I made and tested a deadbeef-0.5.5-slacko-i686.sfs in slacko 5360.

If interested the download link is:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-48cde96b.html
Attachments
capture29796.jpg
(77.21 KiB) Downloaded 1307 times

Jades

Save problem with 5.3.6.0 LiveCD on NTFS

#299 Post by Jades »

Testing Slacko 5,3.6.0 on Merlin, Pentium D 3.4GHz. LiveCD boot. I'm having trouble with creating save files on the main NTFS partition. While the creation seems to work as normal from a pfix=ram boot, attempting to reboot into the new save results in a misbehaving save file. It gives a missing file error once it's reached the desktop, and all icons but the ones in the Menu are replaced with warning triangles. It also runs through all of the setup dialogues again. See attached screen grabs.

I've tried checking the partition for errors in XP as well as cleaning up some redundant files and defragging. Still doesn't work. The only successful saves have been one on my trusty LG 1GB memory key (FAT16), and one on the memory card in my Nokia X3-02 with the phone set to Mass Storage (the card is a 16GB Samsung Class 10 microSDHC, apparently formatted FAT32).

On the pfix=ram boots, as well as the ones from the USB devices, 5.3.6.0 does seem to run quite well. Wireless networking with the Netgear WN111v2 was set up using Network Wizard and seems to work although I do suspect the connection may be dropping out after a certain amount of data transfer.

At the moment, the lack of working saves on NTFS is the main problem.
Attachments
5360probs.png
Screenshot of problem booting save file from NTFS drive. Despite having already been setup, QuickSetup runs again.
(81.41 KiB) Downloaded 752 times
5360probs2.png
Screenshot of problem booting save file from NTFS drive. Note Menu icons are present, but no others are.
(107.85 KiB) Downloaded 722 times
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

bigpup

#300 Post by bigpup »

01micko,

Is Stay Connected program needed in Slacko 5.3.6.0?
Or have you done something to make it not needed?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 398#509398
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#301 Post by 01micko »

bigpup wrote:01micko,

Or have you done something to make it not needed?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 398#509398
I've never found need to use it, however I can put it in the repo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have got to the root of the gtk+3 bug with audacious. It is a problem upstream with PACKAGES.TXT from Salix. I have posted a bug report on their forum. I'm sure they will be eager to fix it.

Jades

#302 Post by Jades »

bigpup wrote:01micko,

To clarify the issue that I am experiencing with my WN111v2, the connection is dropping out in the middle of active downloads, which is when it is most obvious because everything comes to a visible halt. It's the wireless connection failing, not the internet connection - other devices on the network will continue working normally and in the Puppy session I can't even ping the router until I re-run the Network Wizard.

I've had similar problems with other builds of Slacko before, possibly something to do with kernel or drivers since Lupu has been fine. When the wireless is working properly, speed seems to be the same as with other Puppies.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

MinHundHettePerro

#303 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

01micko wrote:I have got to the root of the gtk+3 bug with audacious. It is a problem upstream with PACKAGES.TXT from Salix. I have posted a bug report on their forum. I'm sure they will be eager to fix it.
Right, so it should read like
PACKAGE REQUIRED: atk,bzip2,cairo,dbus,dbus-glib,expat,fontconfig,freetype,gcc,cxxlibs|gcc-g++,gdk-pixbuf2,glib2,gtk+3,libICE,libSM,libX11,libXau,libXcomposite,libXcursor,libXdamage,libXdmcp,libXext,libXfixes,libXi,libXinerama,libXrandr,libXrender,libmcs,libmowgli,libpng,libxcb,pango,pixman,util-linux,zlib
?

Anyway, I'll test to edit the list when I log in to Slacko-5.3.6.0_K3.2.30-4g in a while .........

[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

Billtoo

#304 Post by Billtoo »

01micko wrote: I have got to the root of the gtk+3 bug with audacious. It is a problem upstream with PACKAGES.TXT from Salix. I have posted a bug report on their forum. I'm sure they will be eager to fix it.
I just noticed that the audacious in the Salix repo is 3.3.1, the one that I'm using is 3.3.2 but I don't see a changelog anywhere so I don't know what's new.

EDIT: I took a stab at exaile, I wasn't successfull but I did find out that it can't be run as root.
I got it going in slackware 14 after I compiled 2 modules that were missing.

EDIT2: I compiled audacious 3.2.2 in slacko 5.3.3, that wasn't easy! :)
Attachments
audacious.jpg
(30.7 KiB) Downloaded 1240 times
exaile330.jpg
(24.81 KiB) Downloaded 1379 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Tue 09 Oct 2012, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

ICPUG

#305 Post by ICPUG »

rcrsn51 wrote:Other distros, like TinyCore or Fatdog, have a "wait" boot argument to handle this problem with USB devices.

If the same situation is occurring with your hard drive, it would be useful to know if my "sleep 5" suggestion makes any difference.
I need to return to my problem of my booting a frugal install of Fatslacko requiring PMEDIA to be removed to make it work - to let you know what I have found out.

I have found that the source of the problem was nothing to do with PMEDIA or it requiring a sleep parameter in the init to wait for detection. The real problem was that my PC builder installed Windows on the 2nd hard drive - leaving the first drive unformatted. This was not how I wanted it, of course, but I did not realise it until I started playing with Puppy and seeing the drive partition icons coming up sdb?.

In this configuration I had expected grub to require references to (hd1,4) but in fact that failed and (hd0,4) was still required. My original kernel line in menu.lst was then something like:

kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz PMEDIA=atahd PDEV1=sda5 psubdir=fatslacko ...

This failed to find the sfs file and eventually removing the PMEDIA=atahd made it work. I thus assumed PDEV1=sda5 was correct (working on my knowledge of the init logic in Puppy4). However the recent discussion here and rcrsn51's suggestion that, if PMEDIA is omitted, Puppy now ignores all other search boot codes and looks everywhere led me to conclude that when I got it working by removing PMEDIA, PDEV1 was not in fact doing anything.

I questioned in my mind whether perhaps, originally, PDEV1 was wrong and, despite grub referring to (hd0,4), Puppy still detected the drives properly and my sfs was actually on sdb.

I tried:
kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz PMEDIA=atahd PDEV1=sdb5 psubdir=fatslacko ...

It worked!

I am sorry for diverting the frugal discussion somewhat but we have learned something:

1) Grub will not detect an unformatted drive but Puppy does!
2) It seems PMEDIA is now mandatory if you want to restrict search with PDEV1 and psubdir

Thanks to rcrsn51 for sticking with me and his suggestions that have led to this new found knowledge.