Slacko 5.4 - FINAL 2 Dec 2012

News, happenings
peebee

Re: Module blacklisting problem

#31 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:I wonder if it's really loaded? I did have a similar issue with nouveau being reported as loaded but I knew it wasn't (with lsmod). The nvidia driver still installed fine, if nouveau is loaded it can't install.

Can you please zip (or gzip) your /etc/rc.d/MOSULESCONFIG file to make sure it made the skip list, or just post the 'skiplist' variable.

Cheers
Hi Mick

I wanted to blacklist b43 and did so in the boot manager - but it will not go away! It is loaded and in use despite being blacklisted - see netwiz screenie attached after blacklisting and rebooting.

MODULESCONFIG is attached - skiplist has b43 appended so it should not be loaded....

Thanks
peebee
Attachments
MODULESCONFIG.gz
(2.64 KiB) Downloaded 672 times
capture7965.png
(26 KiB) Downloaded 3823 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rerwin

Fix for blacklist and preference issues?

#32 Post by rerwin »

01micko,
I found the reason for the blacklisting not working. Script /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe, line 103, needs the "-b" option, to use the blacklist. Here is what I ended up with:

Code: Select all

MODULE="`/sbin/modprobe -i -b --show-depends $MODALIAS 2>/dev/null | tail -n 1 | rev | cut -f 1 -d '/' | rev | cut -f 1 -d '.' | tr '\-' '_'`" #120809
I will add that to my collection of fixes for woof.

Looking further, I think the same addition should be made to the other 2 similar statments, line 117 and 153, to restore the preference operation. This may explain peebee's problem with module wl, which is related to the preference, ssb:wl.

My interpretation of all this is that until now the -b option was the default, and that now it is required. Otherwise, why have it?

To keep things simple, I attach the corrected module loader, including other woof fixes for firmware loading and modules loaded specifically by udev rules. Please test with it. Thank you.
Richard
Attachments
rerwin_woof_fixes-delta-3a.pet
Corrected pup_event_backend_modprobe.
Fixes blacklisting and preferences.
(4.04 KiB) Downloaded 726 times
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 10 Aug 2012, 03:15, edited 3 times in total.

grump

#33 Post by grump »

I've had a play on my old Toshiba A200 laptop - running from a live CD

pfix=ram gets me to a black screen - maybe a failed x
pfix=ram, nox gets me to the prompt ok, but I can't remember how to start the command line x config wizard
Then made a copy of my slacko save and just let the puppy have it's way (ie update the save file etc - I got a desktop but no mouse control - neither the touchpad nor usb mouse. Maybe no keyboard controls either?

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

01micko

Re: Fix for blacklist and preference issues?

#34 Post by 01micko »

rerwin wrote:My interpretation of all this is that until now the -b option was the default, and that now it is required. Otherwise, why have it?

To keep things simple, I attach the corrected module loader, including other woof fixes for firmware loading and modules loaded specifically by udev rules. Please test with it. Thank you.
Richard
Thanks Richard.

I'm sure this is to do with the new "kmod" implementation which replaces "modules-init-tools", mentioned in the first post under the "developer" heading. There were sure to be some bugs turn up with that and I'm glad you found the cause. I'll put your fixes in the next version.

-

grump.. don't worry too much about this alpha, it was to mainly to put it in the wild and see what bugs were flushed out. Fortunately, many have been and should be squashed for the next alpha.

For general users it might be better to wait for either the next version or beta, which will be some weeks yet. Realistically, I can't go beta until Slackware goes final as they will likely be applying patches at least until RC.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Sage

Realistically, I can't go beta until Slackware goes final as

#35 Post by Sage »

NEW • Development Release: Slackware Linux 14.0 RC1
Slackware Linux In the most recent changelog entry, Patrick Volkerding declares the Slackware "Current" tree, the distribution's development branch, release-candidate quality: "Good hello and happy Thursday! Mercury went direct early yesterday morning and it was like the bugs started to fix themselves. It's almost enough to get me believing in that hocus-pocus nonsense. So, here's a bunch of updates that fix all of the reported issues in the beta and we'll call this the 14.0 release candidate 1.

peebee

Re: Fix for blacklist and preference issues?

#36 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:
rerwin wrote:Please test with it. Thank you.
Richard
Thanks Richard.
I'm sure this is to do with the new "kmod" implementation which replaces "modules-init-tools", mentioned in the first post under the "developer" heading. There were sure to be some bugs turn up with that and I'm glad you found the cause. I'll put your fixes in the next version.
Cheers
Richard's fix pet works for me - thanks Richard
Cheers
Peter
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Jim1911

USB Logitech Receiver not recognized

#37 Post by Jim1911 »

USB Logitech Receiver not recognized, however unplugging it and replugging it allowed it to be recognized.

Although after using "Desktop Templates for desk icons" and shutting down, another problem occurred. Upon reboot there were no icons, mouse did not work, but did work after unplugging and replugging the receiver. Selecting "Desktop Templates for desk icons" gave an error message that the pinboard is not working.

After another reboot, USB Logitech Receiver is not recognized even after unplugging and replugging.

Cheers,
Jim
Attachments
image-4.jpg
(14.94 KiB) Downloaded 1881 times

01micko

#38 Post by 01micko »

Jim, I don't know why your logitech wireless setup isn't loading but I suspect it's something to do with rerwin's fix. Can you install rerwin's pet and reboot please?
I'll have to fix the desktemplates since I have removed slickpet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not so good news with Intel. I can't get it to work at this stage. I have recompiled several kernels, with/without modesetting, no difference. It does seem that whether modesetting is enabled or not in the kernel is not the issue, but it must be turned off at the command line level (done with the i915.conf rule) for the majority of hardware, radeon included. The string you add to the kernel line is:

i915.modeset=0 (tested and it boots direct to vesa on my eee pc, and brookdale)

Radeons it is already off. Nvidia should not matter.

The current kernel has not got the modesetting kernel modules for X anyway. It seems they are needed for the newest hardware, Ivy-bridge and Sandy-bridge intels, Evergreen radeons and newer. I have what i thought was a reasonably new radeon but it is low end, kernel modesetting does not work with it. There is also a userspace xorg driver called "modesetting". I may have to eliminate it and people who need modesetting can download it.

Still, all this is a waste of time if I can't get the Intel xorg driver to load!!! I get hold of a 945G (I think) tomorrow so will have a go with that. The 915 in my EEE 701 only boots to 'vesa' and seems can only use vesa. When Intel loads there is a "no screens found" error in the xorg log. Same with my Brookdale, the log from it and the EEE are almost identical.

I'm going to install slackware-current on my eee pc right now to see if I can debug.

You reckon testing is fun? :lol: Try developing! :lol: :lol:

pemasu

#39 Post by pemasu »

01micko. Did you remember that logitech wireless receiver fix in kernel DOTconfig. There was that hid section need for compile that locitech receiver in, not as module. I posted about it in some of your thread, maybe this one. I can dig the needed DOTconfig configuration again.

01micko

#40 Post by 01micko »

01micko. Did you remember that logitech wireless receiver fix in kernel DOTconfig. There was that hid section need for compile that locitech receiver in, not as module. I posted about it in some of your thread, maybe this one. I can dig the needed DOTconfig configuration again.
One letter answer ... "Y" :wink:. That was the first thing I checked when I saw the report, but I do think it's the bug rerwin fixed.

LateAdopter

#41 Post by LateAdopter »

01micko
I have what i thought was a reasonably new radeon but it is low end, kernel modesetting does not work with it.
Have you tried your Radeon card with fatdog64 600?

With my RS880G, which is a 3 or 4 year old design, the Xorg R600g driver, in FD64, does DRI2, KMS and 3D acceleration perfectly. The R600g plus Evergreen should work too.

The R600g requires KMS because it no longer has userspace modesetting, I think it happened when Gallium 3D was merged last year.

Kirk and jamesbond seem to have got the kernel sorted.

Jim1911

#42 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:Jim, I don't know why your logitech wireless setup isn't loading but I suspect it's something to do with rerwin's fix. Can you install rerwin's pet and reboot please?
I'll have to fix the desktemplates since I have removed slickpet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
upon startup, unplugging and plugging in the logitech receiver did connect the mouse. However, after installing rerwin's pet I see no change. Rebooting after pet installation, unplugging and plugging in the logitech receiver is still necessary to connect the mouse.

01micko

#43 Post by 01micko »

Jim1911 wrote:upon startup, unplugging and plugging in the logitech receiver did connect the mouse. However, after installing rerwin's pet I see no change. Rebooting after pet installation, unplugging and plugging in the logitech receiver is still necessary to connect the mouse.
Ok, you have the keyboard too right? It depends on the same receiver? I gather that is working so it looks to me like a driver bug in the kernel. The next will have a later kernel for testing, when I solve this intel thing.

Cheers

Jim1911

#44 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:upon startup, unplugging and plugging in the logitech receiver did connect the mouse. However, after installing rerwin's pet I see no change. Rebooting after pet installation, unplugging and plugging in the logitech receiver is still necessary to connect the mouse.
Ok, you have the keyboard too right? It depends on the same receiver? I gather that is working so it looks to me like a driver bug in the kernel. The next will have a later kernel for testing, when I solve this intel thing.

Cheers
Keyboard is usb, only the mouse is wireless.

01micko

#45 Post by 01micko »

Ok, sorry about that Jim, looks like the next version will ship with k3.5.1 anyway as I have intel booting and running with KMS!

With KMS enabled in the kernel, my eee-701-Sd boots to no X, but this happens all the time on that thing for me even in Lupu. Running xorgwizard and I get a nice desktop with intel xorg driver.
It's a 915GM/GMS/915MS Express Graphics Controller (rev 02)

The other intel which I thought was 945 intel is actually :
Cantiga Graphics Controller (rev 07), using intel driver. (Now called "Ark" ...GM45)

The third victim is my trusty old Brookdale, which has served me really well for years. The graphics chip is known to be flakey on those things, we had to jump through hoops (charlie6, MHHP, cowboy, rerwin) to get the thing going in 530 with k2.6.37.6.
Intel Corporation 82845G/GL [Brookdale - G] Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01) using intel driver. Boots straight to desktop.EDIT: I think the kernel devs have finally got KMS right! Fullscreen flash plays almost perfect on the the Brooky. A first. Formerly played ok in a window but fullscreen was quite choppy.

Interestingly, on all 3, glxgears reports real garbage numbers, around 300 f/5secs (60fps), but I think that is to do with glxgears and not the performance. I'll do some more tests later, but I might ship this one, after a little bit of tidy up. Gets big though with mesa included it's over 150M :shock: .

I'll probably ship with KMS turned off by default for Radeon, you can turn it on later easy enough.

Going by the xorg wiki, all intels except old i810's and i815's are KMS supported in the kernel (since 3.5). For the older ones, hopefully the i915.modeset=0 kernel line string should be ok.

Billtoo

Slacko - next cycle -alpha

#46 Post by Billtoo »

I downloaded,burned,and installed slackware 14 rc to my acer desktop.
Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz
Memory 5987MB (306MB used)
Operating System Slackware 14.0
User Name Bill (Unknown)
Date/Time Mon 13 Aug 2012 07:29:47 PM EDT
Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Desktop x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Operating System
Version
Kernel Linux 3.2.26-smp (i686)
Compiled #2 SMP Tue Aug 7 15:22:26 CDT 2012
C Library GNU C Library version 2.15 (stable)
Default C Compiler GNU C Compiler version 4.7.1 (GCC)
Distribution Slackware 14.0
Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.12.3
OpenGL
Vendor Tungsten Graphics, Inc
Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Desktop x86/MMX/SSE2
Version 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4
Direct Rendering Yes

It was a large download + updating packages with slackpkg for another
large download but it's working great so far.

I'm looking forward to the next slacko too :)

EDIT: The nexuiz screenshot is from a slackware 14 install on a dual core computer using the nouveau driver which works better than the proprietary nvidia driver imo.
Attachments
snapshot4.jpg
(169.8 KiB) Downloaded 1953 times
Slackware14rc.jpg
(112.3 KiB) Downloaded 2126 times

darkcity

#47 Post by darkcity »

Hi

I too get the black screen after xwin starts, ctrl-alt-backspace doesn't work - using USB keyboard and from pressing caps-lock it looks like there is no response.

Got it to work by adding pfix=nox, then using xorgwizard to select Vesa instead of Xorg. Xorg still no good with mesa-8.04.

In the Puppy Package I can only select slackware packages.

---

The latest stable AbiWord is 2.8.6, any reason why 2.9.1 is packaged with Slacko?

---

No soundcards detected (worked on 531)

I take it your using ALSA 1.0.25 - nice one.

this is the output from alsawizard

Getting started...
Building card database, please wait...
/usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 479: /lib/modules/3.2.26-4g/modules.pcimap: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/alsaconf: line 479: /lib/modules/3.2.26-4g/modules.isapnpmap: No such file or directory
...no device found
---

Everything else seems to be working fine - using frisbee for wireless.

---

Is startmount included?

---
manual frugal install to harddrive

-PCI Devices-
Host bridge		: Intel Corporation 82915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GL Memory Controller Hub 
PCI bridge		: Intel Corporation 82915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GL PCI Express Root Port 
VGA compatible controller		: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller 
Display controller		: Intel Corporation 82915G Integrated Graphics Controller 
PCI bridge		: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW 
PCI bridge		: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW 
USB Controller		: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW 
PCI bridge		: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge 
Multimedia audio controller		: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW 
ISA bridge		: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FR 
IDE interface		: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW 
IDE interface		: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FW 
SMBus		: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW 
Multimedia audio controller		: Creative Labs CA0106 Soundblaster
Network controller		: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller 
Ethernet controller		: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 100Base-T 
Under summary multimedia device = null ?
Attachments
newdo535.jpg
(52.6 KiB) Downloaded 1843 times

bigpup

#48 Post by bigpup »

From Adobe's website:
Quote:
Mozilla, Firefox, SeaMonkey (Flash Player 11.2 is the last supported Flash Player version for Linux. Adobe will continue to provide security updates.)
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

tlchost

Increased number of SFS files

#49 Post by tlchost »

Hopefully with the maximum number of sfs files that can be loaded at boot will be increased, or an application that allows one to boot more than 6 would be helpful?

Is there a sfs combiner that works with Slacko on a USB?

Thom

Jasper

#50 Post by Jasper »

Hi tlchost,

If you have a frugal installation of Slacko you might like to take a backup of your save file and try seaside's load all sfs files in a directory at once
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 79&t=74471

Especially if the above works well you may also like Simple Menu from technosaurus which should show a full menu including sfs files very quickly.

I think 01micko said he is thinking about including JWM tools update (also from technosaurus, which looks very professional, shows sfs loads in its menu and is 15 times faster than JWM 'fixmenus').

PupMenu from radky will also show sfs loads (use the full screen "refresh" button or reload as needed). It has many other interesting and useful options.

My regards