Slacko 5.4 - FINAL 2 Dec 2012

News, happenings
ally

#676 Post by ally »

music playing nicely from dell desktop via pmusic (thanks sigmund)

have noticed a typo in ffconvert, says 'souce' instead of source

both t61 and desktop running nicely

:)
Last edited by ally on Fri 30 Nov 2012, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#677 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install of 5.3.9.5 Opera on the Athlon XP box........ everything looking good. :)
Attachments
Slacko 5.3.9.5.png
(183.13 KiB) Downloaded 1126 times

01micko

Re: Language pack for Slacko

#678 Post by 01micko »

L18L wrote: maybe should be:
#jwm_UtilityUtilities =""
Thanks, fixed
ETP wrote:Having completed the first-run screens I opted to reboot in order to create a savefile before proceeding further. No sizes were offered then the screen below appeared..
Can you reproduce this? If so can you provide exact steps so I can see what goes wrong. Include what media and filesystem you want to save to, size of partition, your boot media and anything else you think relevant.
If you can reproduce this then it would have occurred in beta4 and RC1 as the only change to the shut down routine is the NTFS bugfix since November 12.

Anyone else see this?

If I hear nothing in the next 24 hrs regarding this issue, I'll add shinobar's pupsaveconfig to the repo as a possible work around with an advisory in the release notes.

-

Some notes on installation:

There are about say a thousand [?] ways to install puppy.

If you boot from a subfolder it will save to that subfolder. If you use PUI to create a frugal to HDD it will create a subfolder. I think it's still possible to save up to 3 levels deep but this is not advised. Tweaking the kernel line of your boot loader config may be necessary (menu.lst in most cases).

If you boot from CD it will save to the top level.

You can use PUI to create an USB install and it will save to the top level. For multiple pups on an USB you can manually create the stick with subfolders and use ETP's tut to boot with syslinux or other tuts using grub4dos on the stick. I believe grub2, lilo and grub legacy can work too, and of course if you format to ext2/3/4 extlinux (still part of syslinux).

Save files can be moved around as long as puppy knows where to find it, specified in your bootloader config.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#679 Post by 01micko »

James C wrote:Fresh frugal install of 5.3.9.5 Opera on the Athlon XP box........ everything looking good. :)
CatDude compiled conky 1.9 plus LUA and imlib2 and it is included in the PPM, just FYI.

James C

#680 Post by James C »

01micko wrote:
James C wrote:Fresh frugal install of 5.3.9.5 Opera on the Athlon XP box........ everything looking good. :)
CatDude compiled conky 1.9 plus LUA and imlib2 and it is included in the PPM, just FYI.
I'll check it out. Thanks.

Guess I probably should explore the PPM once in a while..... :lol:

ally

#681 Post by ally »

update

started having a huge go slow (30 secs from click to open) so have done a clean install or freshly formatted (ext2) partition

frugal installed to a file folder so the previous issue must have been driver (user) error

having a slight issue with yassm'ing to one machine, can go from music server to laptop but not laptop to music server - getting tired now so will try again tomorrow

new install seems snappy again, if it has another go slow will try non-pae as the 5.3.3 pae used to cause me trouble

no other issues found

Last edited by ally on Sat 01 Dec 2012, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#682 Post by mavrothal »

Hi Mick,
RC2 looks good and had not problems with all kind of my "funny" savefile settings. A more "modern" savefile dialog though would be nice :wink:

Any chance of providing a webcam app pet other than Pavrecord? In contrast to Ubuntu, Slackware guvcview or wxcam pull 60MB of dependencies... :(
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

01micko

#683 Post by 01micko »

Hi mavrothal

guvcview is compiled and already in the slacko14 repo :wink: . It pulls quite a few deps but not 60M I don't think..

As said, I'll add shino's pupsaveconfig to the repo.

How did you get on with sound?

mavrothal

#684 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:Hi mavrothal

guvcview is compiled and already in the slacko14 repo :wink: . It pulls quite a few deps but not 60M I don't think..
65MB actually and is the same from the puppy-slacko or the slackware repo. It pulls the entire Gtk3 stack and not just libgtk3.
01micko wrote:How did you get on with sound?
Dropped the full udev and used an old power management and keys implementation from XOpup-2.1! (does not support wake from external keyboard/mouse)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

ETP

Testing slacko-5.3.9.5-opera-4g.iso (md5-o/k USB boot)

#685 Post by ETP »

01micko,

With regard to my previous post I normally do a frugal manual install to a USB stick and then subsequently transfer the main sfs & savefile to my hard drive. The kernel I leave on the USB and change my boot codes accordingly.
On this occasion however, I intended to put the savefile on the SSD from the outset and was only using a 16 Meg partition on the USB stick the remainder being unformatted. The main sfs therefore was already located on the SSD. My syslinux boot codes were therefore as follows:

Code: Select all

LABEL 5395HD
MENU LABEL Slacko 5395  HD   01/12/12
KERNEL /p5395/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/p5395/initrd.gz pmedia=atahd pupsfs=sda1:/p5395/puppy_slacko_5.3.9.5.sfs pdev1=sda1
I thought at first that I may have shot myself in the paw by not giving the first shutdown procedure the option to offer to save to the USB there being insufficient space to do so. This was not the case however, as I had in effect restricted puppy’s options with the boot codes. The problem was that the first shutdown procedure was not mounting sda1.

Provided I mounted sda1 prior to running first shutdown everything behaved as it should with a choice of savefile sizes being offered but no choice of save drive due to my restrictive boot codes. In conclusion I did shoot myself in the paw but not in the way I first suspected!
Please accept my apology for raising a false alarm.
Attachments
screenshot.20.png
(42.46 KiB) Downloaded 1030 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

01micko

#686 Post by 01micko »

ETP

Thanks for the explanation :) . I already added shino's pupsaveconfig to the repo anyway. It is useful in some abnormal cases where there is a failure of the standard tools. No problem.

-

mavrothal..

I have compiled luvcview, got the sources from ubuntu Precise repos, it's totally at the opposite end of the scale as webcam apps go.. requires only Sdl, which we have anyway. It is known not to work on some webcams so YMMV. Working ok here, recording and snapshot tested. There is no audio facility though. I'll upload to the repo at any rate, someone might like a very simple webcam app.
Attachments
luvcview-0.2.6-i486-s.pet
(45.91 KiB) Downloaded 556 times

mavrothal

#687 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote: mavrothal..

I have compiled luvcview, got the sources from ubuntu Precise repos, it's totally at the opposite end of the scale as webcam apps go.. requires only Sdl, which we have anyway.
luvcview never worked for me and this one is no exception :(

Tried to see what is the minimum of gtk3 that guvcview does need, but suddenly the guvcview-1.6.1-i486-s.pet was nowhere in any mirror. :o
Turns out that is in "pet_packages-slacko" instead of "pet_packages-slacko14".

01micko

#688 Post by 01micko »

mavrothal wrote:Turns out that is in "pet_packages-slacko" instead of "pet_packages-slacko14".
Thanks for the heads up :shock: , fixed.

mavrothal

#689 Post by mavrothal »

mavrothal wrote: Tried to see what is the minimum of gtk3 that guvcview does need
So it turns out that guvcview only needs libgtk-3 and libgdk-3 from the 55MB Gtk-3 package! You may want to include these in the guvcview pet and remove Gtk-3 from the dependencies.
Till then I made the 4MB guvc_deps_s14-1.pet that is all guvcview-1.6.1-i486-s.pet needs to work in Slacko 14

ally

#690 Post by ally »

@ mavrothal

thanks for the guvc pet

@01micko

the lock up has started again, seems to be limited to drive mounting (click to open drive sda1 takes about 25-30secs)

ran 'top' to see if anything was hanging the processor but only 6-8% load, ran hardware info to check memory in use and that hung too with 'scanning drives' (I think) bottom left of windows

don't know how to gather info to help......

** update

I was using ext4 for my 'data' partition and have now reformatted to ext2 after reading of data issues with ext4 and new kernels

only just reloaded data but appears to be working ok

will keep and eye and report

oldyeller

#691 Post by oldyeller »

livecd now instead of a save file. on Dell D430

slacko 54. RC2 does not load the swapfile/parttion. either with live cd or savefile.

With a savefile it does take some time not much for the cd to start in order for the desktop to appear.
Report Video 1.4 - Sat 1 Dec 2012 on Slacko Puppy 5.3.9.5 - Linux 3.2.33-4g i686

Chip description:
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
oem: Intel(r) 82945GM Chipset Family Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r) 82945GM Chipset Family Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver used: intel
X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 1280x1024 pixels (338x270 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Computer

Summary
-------

-Computer-
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU U7700 @ 1.33GHz
Memory : 2064MB (206MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sat 01 Dec 2012 10:57:25 AM EST
-Display-
Resolution : 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
-Input Devices-
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
DualPoint Stick
AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint TouchPad
Lite-On Technology Corp. USB Multimedia Keyboard
Lite-On Technology Corp. USB Multimedia Keyboard
USB Optical Mouse
Video Bus
Lid Switch
Power Button
Sleep Button
Dell WMI hotkeys
PC Speaker
HDA Intel Mic
HDA Intel Headphone
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF : <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
ATA SAMSUNG HS08XJC
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-U10N

I am not sure if the cpu is for i686 or not? any ideas?

vicmz

Re: Language pack for Slacko

#692 Post by vicmz »

L18L wrote:
vicmz wrote:...
I can't download Slacko RC2 to test, so please could someone test the language pack and tell if the bug is still present?:.
Esta bien?
Then the extra menu entries for programs that may or may not be installed don't show up in the latest Slacko, great. :D Thank you, L18L! I'll let others know in the Spanish forum.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

ally

#693 Post by ally »

system has been up for about 8 hours, about 3 or 4 since I reformatted the drive and the problem with drive mounting has occurred again

take ages to mount when clicked

starting programs no problem, just mounting and opening drives

if anybody could point the way for troubleshooting I'd be grateful

Sage

#694 Post by Sage »

Maybe a little more info about your HW, esp. drive(s).
Neither diamonds nor drives are forever - both are unstable! Ribbon cables and connectors can be twisted and swapped too often. SATA is less reliable than old IDE, simply on statistics of their bell curves - if they're old, they're likely to survive longer, but new stuff still has to be chasing price of fabrication as well as ascending the leading edge of the bell. Boards have bad caps which don't always fail catastrophically. Knowledge is not essential to fix HW unlike the clever SW guys around here. The trade does it by simple substitution - keep changing stuff (one at a time, though) until it works.
Then there's always the issue of compatibility of HW along with underhand attempts at leverage by certain companies; fortunately, we don't have a great fruit fetish on this Forum.
Just a few additional things to worry about that don't get aired too often by the resident gurus. Be sure micko will solve everything in the end.

zigbert

#695 Post by zigbert »

pMusic 3.0.5 is highly recommended.

Changelog
- Bugfix: pMusic closes if gui troubles with utf-8 content