Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 22 Nov 2014, 10:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Slacko 5.3.3 can't connect to the Internet
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
Mike1995

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug 2012, 13:56    Post subject:  Slacko 5.3.3 can't connect to the Internet  

I was not able to connect to the internet with the new version of puppy (slacko) I was able to connect with the other versions and I'm able to connect with the Lucid puppy version. but the new programs that configure the network are not able to detect my network card. Can you put the old network manager back in Puppy Linux (Slacko) please? or at least tell me how can I connect. I was not able to use my Windows drivers to install the network card. and i'm not happy that I have to use windows drivers when this distro in the past was able to connect me to the internet. can you help me please? thanks a lot.

Cheers

Michele
dk60902

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug 2012, 16:39    Post subject:  

Are you referring to wireless or wired internet connection? Are you using Slacko 5.3.3? What network card are you using?
rjbrewer

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug 2012, 17:43    Post subject: Re: I cannot connect to the internet
Subject description: I cannot connect to the internet with Puppy Linux Slacko 5.3.3

Mike1995 wrote:
I was not able to connect to the internet with the new version of puppy (slacko) I was able to connect with the other versions and I'm able to connect with the Lucid puppy version. but the new programs that configure the network are not able to detect my network card. Can you put the old network manager back in Puppy Linux (Slacko) please? or at least tell me how can I connect. I was not able to use my Windows drivers to install the network card. and i'm not happy that I have to use windows drivers when this distro in the past was able to connect me to the internet. can you help me please? thanks a lot.

Cheers

Michele

If you are referring to the latest alpha test of Slacko; you
should post in the Puppy Projects "Slacko-next cycle"
thread.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Mike1995

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2012, 03:46    Post subject: Re: I cannot connect to the internet
Subject description: I cannot connect to the internet with Puppy Linux Slacko 5.3.3

rjbrewer wrote:
Mike1995 wrote:

Cheers

Michele

If you are referring to the latest alpha test of Slacko; you
should post in the Puppy Projects "Slacko-next cycle"
thread.

I'm referring to the lastest stable version of puppy
Semme

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2012, 06:50    Post subject:  

Hi Michele- so your card wasn't detected by any of these below?

As already asked- wired or wireless?

For wired:
Code:
dmesg | grep -i ethernet

Wireless:
Code:
dmesg | grep -i network
net_mngrs.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   76.11 KB
 Viewed   489 Time(s)

net_mngrs.jpg

Mike1995

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2012, 10:15    Post subject:  

it is a Wired connect card. homeware I was able to configure both cards the wired card and the wireless card.
jafadmin

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug 2012, 00:12    Post subject:  

Boot from a prior LiveCD (5.28 or 4.31) and let us know what type of network card is installed on the computer.

As newer versions of puppy evolve, older drivers are left out of the kernel and newer ones are included. This is necessary to keep the puppy footprint from bloating.
Eldon

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug 2012, 01:01    Post subject:  

You may just have to use Lucid.

Of course, I use a wifi usb stick, and if you have one or can get a cheap one, that may work with slacko if you really want slacko w/net access.

That said, you might try slacko 5.3.1 - because I tried to use 5.3.3 but found the bluetooth drivers weren't included in the kernel and bt wouldn't work. So for all I know, a similar thing may be true of your card.
Mike1995

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug 2012, 06:46    Post subject:  

Infact Lucid Puppy works for me, please don't remove drivers for the kernel, leave lucid puppy as it is, add updates, fixes but don't remove drivers and don't remove the old dear connection manager, it's more comfortable to me Smile
martin young

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug 2012, 21:08    Post subject: 5.3.3 connecting to internet
Subject description: hardware discovery

One can also punch into console dmesg alone and get a list of all hardware and setups as well as finding problems with loading.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: