LibreOffice Writer icon on the desktop

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
n0ukf

LibreOffice Writer icon on the desktop

#1 Post by n0ukf »

I have LibreOffice installed but how do I get Writer added to the desktop instead of going to the menu every time I want it? I'm currently using openbox WM on Lucid 528.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." [i]Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen[/i]

davids45

#2 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
(I know this is OK in jwm but could be also OK with openbox)

If swriter or writer is on the menu then there's probably a libreoffice-swriter.desktop file (or similar wording) in /usr/share/applications.
Try dragging file this .desktop file to the desktop. Edit the icon text if it's too long.

Depending on which Office version you've got, you could also try dragging onto the desktop, the swriter executable file from somewhere like /opt/libreoffice3.5/program/ - if you have a Full Pup and full Office install.

In Full Pups, I run LibreOffice by symlinks from my auto-mounted data partition (sda5) by dragging calc and writer from the office directory on sda5 onto each Full Pup's desktop. I've included a Java in this sda5 LibreOffice directory, both saving lots of space in each Full Pup partition.

Frugals have the simpler .sfs version where I drag the calc & writer icons from /usr/share/applications, but doing it from the /opt/... location should also work (you need a bit more of a hunt to find these files within LibreOffice itself).

Good luck.

David S.

Jim1911

#3 Post by Jim1911 »

Using Rox, open /usr/share/applications and simply drag the desktop icons you want to the desktop.

n0ukf

#4 Post by n0ukf »

my main problem with trying on my own was knowing where to drag from.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." [i]Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen[/i]