Slacko 5.3.3 can't connect to the Internet

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mike1995

Slacko 5.3.3 can't connect to the Internet

#1 Post by Mike1995 »

I was not able to connect to the internet with the new version of puppy (slacko) I was able to connect with the other versions and I'm able to connect with the Lucid puppy version. but the new programs that configure the network are not able to detect my network card. Can you put the old network manager back in Puppy Linux (Slacko) please? or at least tell me how can I connect. I was not able to use my Windows drivers to install the network card. and i'm not happy that I have to use windows drivers when this distro in the past was able to connect me to the internet. can you help me please? thanks a lot.

Cheers

Michele

dk60902

#2 Post by dk60902 »

Are you referring to wireless or wired internet connection? Are you using Slacko 5.3.3? What network card are you using?

rjbrewer

Re: I cannot connect to the internet

#3 Post by rjbrewer »

Mike1995 wrote:I was not able to connect to the internet with the new version of puppy (slacko) I was able to connect with the other versions and I'm able to connect with the Lucid puppy version. but the new programs that configure the network are not able to detect my network card. Can you put the old network manager back in Puppy Linux (Slacko) please? or at least tell me how can I connect. I was not able to use my Windows drivers to install the network card. and i'm not happy that I have to use windows drivers when this distro in the past was able to connect me to the internet. can you help me please? thanks a lot.

Cheers

Michele
If you are referring to the latest alpha test of Slacko; you
should post in the Puppy Projects "Slacko-next cycle"
thread.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Mike1995

Re: I cannot connect to the internet

#4 Post by Mike1995 »

rjbrewer wrote:
Mike1995 wrote:I was not able to connect to the internet with the new version of puppy (slacko) I was able to connect with the other versions and I'm able to connect with the Lucid puppy version. but the new programs that configure the network are not able to detect my network card. Can you put the old network manager back in Puppy Linux (Slacko) please? or at least tell me how can I connect. I was not able to use my Windows drivers to install the network card. and i'm not happy that I have to use windows drivers when this distro in the past was able to connect me to the internet. can you help me please? thanks a lot.

Cheers

Michele
If you are referring to the latest alpha test of Slacko; you
should post in the Puppy Projects "Slacko-next cycle"
thread.
I'm referring to the lastest stable version of puppy

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

Hi Michele- so your card wasn't detected by any of these below?

As already asked- wired or wireless?

For wired:

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep -i ethernet
Wireless:

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep -i network
Attachments
net_mngrs.jpg
(76.11 KiB) Downloaded 554 times

Mike1995

#6 Post by Mike1995 »

it is a Wired connect card. homeware I was able to configure both cards the wired card and the wireless card.

jafadmin

#7 Post by jafadmin »

Boot from a prior LiveCD (5.28 or 4.31) and let us know what type of network card is installed on the computer.

As newer versions of puppy evolve, older drivers are left out of the kernel and newer ones are included. This is necessary to keep the puppy footprint from bloating.

Eldon

#8 Post by Eldon »

You may just have to use Lucid.

Of course, I use a wifi usb stick, and if you have one or can get a cheap one, that may work with slacko if you really want slacko w/net access.

That said, you might try slacko 5.3.1 - because I tried to use 5.3.3 but found the bluetooth drivers weren't included in the kernel and bt wouldn't work. So for all I know, a similar thing may be true of your card.

Mike1995

#9 Post by Mike1995 »

Infact Lucid Puppy works for me, please don't remove drivers for the kernel, leave lucid puppy as it is, add updates, fixes but don't remove drivers and don't remove the old dear connection manager, it's more comfortable to me :)

martin young

5.3.3 connecting to internet

#10 Post by martin young »

One can also punch into console dmesg alone and get a list of all hardware and setups as well as finding problems with loading.