Kernel Compiling - Kernel-kit

discuss compiling applications for Puppy
HoerMirAuf

#16 Post by HoerMirAuf »

Also tryed to compile 3.14.4... always get a error :( Anybody got a working dotconfig for a 3.14.4 kernel?

charlie6

compile trial of k-3.14.4 on wheezy

#17 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
@christian
I just tried to compile 3.14. For some reasons the compilation worked out of the box. Interested to use the results ?
thanks! for sure it's interesting :D ! either you'r are lucky or you have somewhat digged into the build.sh to get it compiling 3.14.4 !

kernel compile (first time i'm doing this ! :? ) on wheezy-3.5.2.11 using kernel-kit-3.series-0.1.3:
material used:
aufs3-14-git270514.tar.bz2: 146 K
linux-3.14.4.tar.xz: 75 M
note: had to download and place linux-3.14.4.tar.xz in /dist/sources/vanilla/ as the download step did not work.
I also had to edit line 176 of build.sh this way:

Code: Select all

# extract the kernel
echo "Extracting the kernel sources"
tar xvJf dist/sources/vanilla/linux-$kernel_version.tar.xz >> build.log 2>&1
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
	echo "Error: failed to extract the kernel sources."
	exit 1
fi
so that the tar.xz could be extracted.

upon the firs trial, the error message told to use

make oldconfig
, i did it inside the "linux-3.14.4" folder and subsequently had to manualy set the kernel compile options (see DOTconfig attached);
did

# cp .../kernel-kit-3.series-0.1.3/linux-3.14.4/.config /kernel-kit-3.series-0.1.3/configs_extra/DOTconfig-3.14.4_1-dpup
;

then ran build.sh again and got the following error message while compiling the kernel: i cannot fix that as i did not find anything relevant into fs/aufs/aufs.h.
patching file fs/aufs/loop.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 29 with fuzz 2 (offset 1 line).
linux-3.14.4/
linux-3.14.4/.gitignore
linux-3.14.4/.mailmap
linux-3.14.4/COPYING
linux-3.14.4/CREDITS
CC fs/ioprio.o
CC fs/proc_namespace.o
LD fs/aufs/built-in.o
CC [M] fs/aufs/module.o
In file included from fs/aufs/aufs.h:44:0,
from fs/aufs/module.c:24:
fs/aufs/file.h: In function ‘au_vm_prfile_set’:
fs/aufs/file.h:304:5: error: ‘struct vm_area_struct’ has no member named ‘vm_prfile’
make[2]: *** [fs/aufs/module.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [fs/aufs] Error 2
make: *** [fs] Error 2
i gave up at that point ...

HTH
Charlie
Attachments
DOTconfig.tar.gz
(27.04 KiB) Downloaded 826 times

HoerMirAuf

#18 Post by HoerMirAuf »

Hi charlie6

... use the kernel-kit from woof-ce. It will just compile youre kernel.

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... master.zip

My 3.14.4 kernel works on a full installation. Only only on a frugal one, it will not store a savefile and also not translate the initrd (no acces to the drives?) seems i have to build one more time ....

oldyeller

#19 Post by oldyeller »

Do you compile the kernel in full install or can you compile the kernel in a frugal install?

666philb

#20 Post by 666philb »

hi oldyeller,

frugal is fine ....with the kernel kit from woof CE https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... esting.zip
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

oldyeller

#21 Post by oldyeller »

Thanks,

vicmz

Kernel compile error

#22 Post by vicmz »

I'm using the kernel-kit from Woof-CE-testing in Precise Puppy. I can't compile any kernels. Apparently, I should install something else to get all the patches right, but I can't figure it out yet. I attach the build.log below. After downloading and applying the patches, compiling results in errors.
Attachments
build.log.gz
(120.16 KiB) Downloaded 796 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

HoerMirAuf

#23 Post by HoerMirAuf »

Anybody experience with kernel > 4 and woofce?

Is aufs still needed? because new kernel have a own FS Overlay system.
And when yes .... can't add aufs patch to the latest kernel 4.3

But i am not very experienced in kernel configuring ... :cry:
[size=75][color=blue]Bionic64[/color][/size]

peebee

#24 Post by peebee »

HoerMirAuf wrote:Anybody experience with kernel > 4 and woofce?
Yes - they work fine as long as the HUGE archive is named correctly....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

HoerMirAuf

#25 Post by HoerMirAuf »

The archive named correctly?

But i havn't to name archive, isnt it? All archives are build by the buid.sh .. or i am wrong .... compiled some kernels but can't get compiled 4.3 ...

first a aufs download error. After donload the archive manually an packed it to the dist/source/vanilla folder allways a aufs patch error....

@ peebee which auf path do you use? can you give me a hint how to set the build.conf?

peebee

#26 Post by peebee »

HoerMirAuf wrote:The archive named correctly?

But i havn't to name archive, isnt it? All archives are build by the buid.sh .. or i am wrong .... compiled some kernels but can't get compiled 4.3 ...

first a aufs download error. After donload the archive manually an packed it to the dist/source/vanilla folder allways a aufs patch error....

@ peebee which auf path do you use? can you give me a hint how to set the build.conf?
Sorry - my misunderstanding of your question...

I thought you asked "can kernels >4 be used in woofce builds"....

I think you are asking "can >4 kernels be built using the kernel kit in woof-ce"?

The answer is yes and no - 01micko has built k4.1.11 but looks like k4.3 can't yet be built.

Stemsee has built k4,2,5 using his sukk tool but not k4.3.

I haven't built a kernel myself....only used the endeavours of others. If I did I would plagiarise (as usual ;-) )

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

HoerMirAuf

#27 Post by HoerMirAuf »

Hi peebee ..

thank's for your reply.

Ok .... between ... i got it! Compiled successful a stable 4.3 kernel with woof-ce kernel kit :D
The only thing ... ndiswrapper will not compile with this kernel.
There was a patched 3.14 version which worked with kernel 4.0.0 but this version will not work wit 4.3 too.

ndiswrapper-1.59/driver/crt.c: In function ‘_win_srand’:
ndiswrapper-1.59/driver/crt.c:470:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘net_srandom’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
net_srandom(seed);
Nothing found on web to solve it :/

Anybody a idea?

peebee

Please enable the Mediatek mt7601u wifi driver

#28 Post by peebee »

Please enable the Mediatek mt7601u wifi driver in the 4.2 and subsequent trees.

CONFIG_WL_MEDIATEK=y
CONFIG_MT7601U=m

Details

Thanks
peebee

moeppyfan

#29 Post by moeppyfan »

666philb wrote:frugal is fine ....with the kernel kit from woof CE https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... esting.zip
This woof-CE version worked quite well for me when trying to compile 3.14.65. :) The steps I had to do (from what I remember):

- Open /kernel-kit/build.conf in a text editor
- Change the kernel_version= line to "3.14.65" (or the newest 3.14 on kernel.org)
- Change the sublevel= to no (so it doesn't display as 3.14.0)
- In the directory /kernel-kit/config-extras, copy the file DOTconfig-3.14.54-slacko32 to DOTconfig-3.14.65-slacko32
- Open the console, navigate into the kernel-kit directory and type ./build.sh (make sure a devx is mounted)
- When asked, select your 3.14.65-slacko32 config file, then later on I picked the "1. make menuconfig" option
- When the blue menu screen came on, I just pressed Esc twice to keep default values
- The Linux kernel 3.14.65 downloads (it was a ~79MB tar.xz file, took about 30 minutes for me @40KB/s)
- The next part "Compiling the kernel" took about 2 hours on my single core laptop (you can watch the progress in build.log)
- When that stage was finished, I selected "firmware-140621-cut" (~9MB) to add (I think that's what 3.14.55 also used)
- A ~34MB huge-3.14.65.tar.bz2 file should be in /kernel-kit/dist/packages that you can try with change_kernels. Bark bark! :lol:

One difference I noticed between the resulting zdrv and the original 3.14.55 in slacko was that /lib/modules/all-firmware was not added by default for me (saving ~800K squashed). I noticed it's also not in LxPupSc's kernel, so maybe it's safe to leave out?

peebee

#30 Post by peebee »

moeppyfan wrote:One difference I noticed between the resulting zdrv and the original 3.14.55 in slacko was that /lib/modules/all-firmware was not added by default for me (saving ~800K squashed). I noticed it's also not in LxPupSc's kernel, so maybe it's safe to leave out?
all-firmware arises from .pets included in the woof-ce build and resides in the puppy_*.sfs not in the zdrv.....

moeppyfan

#31 Post by moeppyfan »

peebee wrote:all-firmware arises from .pets included in the woof-ce build and resides in the puppy_*.sfs not in the zdrv.....
Thanks peebee. That's good to know. Also found some excellent tips to get ndiswrapper working again! :D

peebee

#32 Post by peebee »

moeppyfan wrote:
peebee wrote:all-firmware arises from .pets included in the woof-ce build and resides in the puppy_*.sfs not in the zdrv.....
Thanks peebee. That's good to know. Also found some excellent tips to get ndiswrapper working again! :D
Yes - any "non-kernel" drivers have to be recompiled for a new kernel - includes ndiswrapper, broadcom wl, nvidia and other proprietary video drivers....etc.

Encourage you to upload your new kernel somewhere and put a link on:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=106084

slavvo67

#33 Post by slavvo67 »

Is this still being supported, tested? Just wondering before I jump in and spend a bunch of time, here.

peebee

#34 Post by peebee »

slavvo67 wrote:Is this still being supported, tested? Just wondering before I jump in and spend a bunch of time, here.
Short answer - yes

Longer answer - kernel kit is now a part of woof-ce and is therefore held on github from where you can download woof-ce including kernel-kit

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... kernel-kit

oldyeller

#35 Post by oldyeller »

Hello,

I have finally complied a kernel :lol: :lol: after all the puppies i did. Out of all the folders I have now which ones do I make the pet from?

Any help would be great Thanks