Please help me make a custom puppy os

Booting, installing, newbie
Gary Flynn

Please help me make a custom puppy os

#1 Post by Gary Flynn »

I am a linux newbie. I installed puppyos and it seems very promising, but I have not been able to make a custom puppy installation.

I am trying to make a bare bones (for me) puppy installation and I have had serious trouble so far.

I want a system with only the latest versions of:
An administrator account that either boots directly in or needs no password
Open Office
Firefox
+a pdf viewer
+flash
+java
+some extensions that I'd like to choose
Some DVD/Video/Media/Mp3 player
An emule client
A bittorrent client
Preset for my internet connection
With the ability to add new packages as I choose.

Even if the easiest way to get this is difficult, I would like to do it if I can get moderately clear instructions.

Thanks in advance

Sit Heel Speak

#2 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

(Deleted by poster. Too snarly. I've had a rough couple of weeks.)
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Fri 19 May 2006, 06:07, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Flynn

What I'm running

#3 Post by Gary Flynn »

I hope this is easier than the other thread.

I am running an amd 2800 processor and a radeon video card. I'll check on the exact model.

750megs of ram.

I have a linux ext3 partition on an external hard drive 10gig (sda2)
And a 1 gig swap drive (sda3)

sda1 is a vfat 190 or so gigs that I can share between my main xp system.

I do not want to dual boot.

When I say I installed it, I meant I booted into puppylinux from the live cd.

The goal is to make a livecd that boots to my system.

slvrldy17

A custom puppy...

#4 Post by slvrldy17 »

If you have not already done so you may wish to try out the 1.0.9 CE version of puppy. It may well have a good bit of what you are after as it comes - for one Firefox is the supplied browser - it may be that some simple program additions from pupget and/or dotpup may get you where you want to be with less trouble than a complete remaster.
Always give without remembering - always receive without forgetting.
Alice

timcriger

#5 Post by timcriger »

gary,

the new version 109ce has you well on your way to meeting your goals. if what you specifically want is a cd that contains the operating system just as you describe it (listed above), then it will require some timely, though simple remastering and Sit Heel Speak has offered.

but if the cd along with some addons that are saved in a persistent memory (like your sda2) will work, then things are quite simple. here's the way it looks with 109ce:

1. An administrator account that... >included in 109ce
2. Open Office >download from NathanF and place in top directory "/" of your persitent memory or the remastered cd you create
3. Firefox >included
3. a pdf viewer >included
4. flash >easily installable once you visit a flash website
5. java >easily installed through java.com instructions
6. some extensions that I'd like to choose >ample help on forum
7. Some DVD/Video/Media/Mp3 player >gxine in 109ce
8. An emule client >here it is, works great
9. A bittorrent client >transmission on 109ce
10. Preset for my internet connection >seems you are wanting a remastered cd
11. With the ability to add new packages as I choose >pupget

so, it can definitely be done, and 109ce just needs some tweeking.
have fun,
tim

Gary Flynn

What can I get rid of and how

#6 Post by Gary Flynn »

What is the best way to get rid of everything I don't want in 109ce?

Looking at a list of packages, how do I know which are required?

timcriger

#7 Post by timcriger »

gary,
i've recently made a live cd .iso that fits all your criteria... it is based on puppy107 (actually simplepup-0.3.1) which has the xfce window manager (looks like):

with java, openoffice 2.0.2, firefox, thunderbird, all kinds of multimedia libs, etc. the iso weighs in at 270Mb... ouch. if i can find someone to host it, i'll upload it for you.

--tim

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Ian »

You could download the Unleashed version and the packages and make your own custom Puppy

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Please help me make a custom puppy os

#9 Post by Lobster »

Gary Flynn wrote: I am trying to make a bare bones (for me) puppy installation and I have had serious trouble so far.
Maybe start with Barebones Puppy2
(see 2 June 2006 entry)
http://www.puppylinux.com/news.htm
:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#10 Post by Lobster »

timcriger wrote: if i can find someone to host it, i'll upload it for you.

--tim
how about here?
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... 0928#50928
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Nathan F

#11 Post by Nathan F »

Tim-

I don't know if you follow what I've been doing with Grafpup at all but I've got a script written that allows all that to be in the live cd and just loaded or unloaded at will, keeping the base iso size down. I just released a version of Grafpup that weighs in at 390MB, because it includes things like OpenOffice, Xampp, and KDE. What's neat is that only the first 80MB load by default, but just type a few commands and the rest can be loaded.

I mention this because a 270MB Puppy iso would normally require over 300MB of RAM to run the way it's supposed to normally, in RAM. I've got a laptop with 95MB of RAM and a small (150 MB) swap partition and the big iso runs great on it. The extensions are a little slower but the base system stays nice and snappy.

Currently this is Puppy-1.x only but I'm working on porting the concept over to Puppy2. I'm confident the concept could be applied to an iso with the specs you mentioned.

Sorry I can't help with the hosting, I've had too many problems with bandwidth at grafpup.com. Enough people really liked Simplepup that I think someone will probably step forward to help you on this.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

timcriger

#12 Post by timcriger »

My apologizes to all here......

I have realized that i do not have the dedication, knowledge, and time expected of one offering a well-supported Puppy remaster.

I have a desire to share with others the joy of using Puppy Linux in my customized way, but I don't have the knowledge to tackle many bugs nor the time to respond to user needs in an expedient manner.

Besides, nearly all the changes I made to create SimplePup can be learned from this forum... that's how I did it anyway. And even Puppy 2.00 is getting closer to what I had tried to achieve, the gui and icons have gotten prettier : )

Thanks for understanding.

Nathan--
I have had a chance to look at your development of Grafpup lately... TERRIFIC!!! I like the option to load certain packages.
And it looks pretty too.. could you collaborate with Barry directly on this maybe?... provide the pretty icons, etc for him for the standard Puppy??... you and bombayrockers and MU...
Just a thought.

--Tim

Nathan F

#13 Post by Nathan F »

could you collaborate with Barry directly on this maybe?
The idea has always been to feed back into Puppy whenever possible, and I hope to do so. I'm working on porting the work I did with the squashfiles over to Puppy2 right now. When that is a little further along I'll try and get Barry to take a look at it. I also intend to keep pushing the envelope of what can be done using Puppy as a base, Grafpup is more than a little bit about showing off.

As far as direct collaboration that is coming eventually. We were fairly successful I though creating a community based iso, and with the subversion repo that Rarsa has set up that will be much easier to do in the future. Ultimately though it is up to Barry as to when and how much input and control to relinquish to others, and I certainly don't want to push on it. Frankly we need to get more people directly involved in a few smaller projects first, before taking on too much direct responsibility for the distro. If we take too much control too soon it will be a mess. The way Barry runs things now works for the most part, and he is always adding in good ideas that others have come up with.

Be patient, it will become more of a community effort over time. And be ready to contribute. No matter how humble you make yourself, Tim, the fact remains that you created a remaster that was wildly popular and very successful. I can understand if you say it's too much work to continue or to support, but don't go saying you don't have any idea what you're doing :wink:

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Dougal

#14 Post by Dougal »

Nathan F wrote: I just released a version of Grafpup that weighs in at 390MB, because it includes things like OpenOffice, Xampp, and KDE. What's neat is that only the first 80MB load by default, but just type a few commands and the rest can be loaded.
When you've adapted it to Puppy2, please post the script on the forum.
I'm going to work on improving Barry's remaster script, so I might make an additional ("expert") script that gives that option.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind