MS Puppy won't boot? Sometimes it's not the software...

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

MS Puppy won't boot? Sometimes it's not the software...

#1 Post by nduanetesh »

Something to keep in mind...

I recently bought a two year old laptop that runs great, but has no hard drive. The perfect machine for puppy! And the perfect machine for the multisession ISO, I thought. Whelp, after running 1.0.3 as a multisession, and rebooting 1 time (having the changes written back to the cd *once*, that is), the CD will no longer boot. I've tried several times, with both cdr and cdrw, and the results are always the same: after the initial boot and the first "session" written to the CD, the cd refuses to boot. I initially blamed this on puppy multisession not being quite stable yet, but just on a whim, I took one of the "unbootable" cds and popped it into my primary computer. Guess what? It booted like a charm, and all of my settings from the "session" were loaded perfectly. So, this means that my laptop will simply not boot a multisession cd if the cd has more than one track written on it. Surprising. And very disappointing. (And BTW, though I am very happy with my Pavilion zt1260 in many respects, it has the most ridiculously sparse BIOS I have ever seen.)

So, please keep this in mind if you're having trouble with the multisession Cd...sometimes it's not a software problem.

ND