Macpup 529

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Ray MK

#31 Post by Ray MK »

Hi runtt21

Am very pleasantly surprised at how well MP529 runs on my 10yr old Acer laptop.

This has to be the smoothest, sweetest running MacPup that I've had on this machine.

Very nice - running latest Opera, as have found that recent Firefox's are resource hogs (although latest seems slightly improved).

So far all looks good and IMHO this is by far the best MacPup to date.

Many thanks for all that you do - very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

kros54

remained

#32 Post by kros54 »

The different solutions tried.
Save JWM was the first, then transferred to E17, and vice versa. And the other, using a minimum of 30-40 ...
Accurate observations: e17 over to the Hungarian language was not, only a special bash-command (export LC_ALL...) was issued. (remain in English)
e17 ALL departure ruins of previous good language setting.
I hope you understand...

runtt21

#33 Post by runtt21 »

kros54 try this, first switch to jwm and open rox find the hidden folder /root/.e you need to rename .e to something like SAFE.e . Then set up your language settings. Then switch to e17 . You will need to set everything up again. During the set up uncheck everything that has to do with composting . After you get to the desktop open the e17 settings panel . Under apps find Desktop environments uncheck everything and apply. Then under input find edge bindings and select delete all. You will need to set up everything on the ibar yourself. If you need it read the guide:

http://macpup.org/forums/index.php?topic=11.0

runtt21

#34 Post by runtt21 »

Ray MK this version is amazing even though it wont work on everyone's stuff as well as previous version have, but this is very much a cutting edge development version. The main issue is that there isn't a lot of "puppy " software for it yet. I know the ubuntu packages will need a lot of extra dependance's .

It's the first version of puppy apart from it's parent precise that will run Xorg in place of vesa or xvesa for me. It set up touch pad tapping by itself with out any jacking.

Barry is working on precise and I hope that the showing of this macpup will inspire him to finish it. There is a ton of work going on the e17 camp to get a ready release version and when they get done I will release an update for everything. I am already thinking about 530.

gcmartin

#35 Post by gcmartin »

runtt21 wrote: ... . There is a ton of work going on the e17 camp to get a ready release version and when they get done I will release an update for everything. I am already thinking about 530.
@Runtt21, I think many will also be awaiting the latest from both BarryK and you.

One items to draw attention to for awareness that you may want to correct. Distrowatch shows your (and others) distro as having SAMBA server. SAMBA server is not present in your distro. There are ONLY 5 PUPs which deliver SAMBA server: Lighthouse64, FatSlacko, Fatdog, and couple others. I am aware of PETs that can be installed. But, Distrowatch is not based upon the package management; instead, its base oon what actually ships.

If you can, would you correct in the next release?

Here to help

rokytnji

IBM M41 Desktop with dual hard drives

#36 Post by rokytnji »

Working OK for me so far.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 978#647978

In my conky. Where it says "disk 36%" in between Swap and CPU. That shows how much space is left on my personal save file in E17.

I also have tuxxview installed also for that.

Karl Godt

#37 Post by Karl Godt »

Have read about the Lang problems and decided to kick my ass and now have booted to Desktop . After Quicksetup and restart X the /etc/profile file seems to have been changed correctly :

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# grep LANG /etc/profile
#LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
export LANG
but

sh-3.00# echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8
Still is .

Seems to need a logout of root to parse /etc/profile again .

That is not MacPup specific but maybe due to the change from agetty to mingetty :

sh-3.00# cat /etc/inittab
::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
tty1::respawn:/sbin/mingetty --autologin root tty1
tty2::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
tty3::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot
Otherwise BB connection as usual easy, Sound tooo loud at 6oClock am for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6knaZ9rWWoE :D and the rest will show up later .

Karl Godt

#38 Post by Karl Godt »

but e17 has German LANG recognized . Happy me :)

Karl Godt

#39 Post by Karl Godt »

Restarted X a second time :

sh-3.00# echo $LANG
de_DE.UTF-8
Also e17 has kept German Language .
:Karl is perplex:

Noticed that mrxvt in iguleders dpup time back in 2010 did not kill pppd when restarting X and so does ROXTerm .

Tiny thing that i would like to solve because i encountered this also in Puppy-511 regular and Lhpup-443 :

ciento

#40 Post by ciento »

Thanks for the new release. It's place at distrowatch is well deserved!

It really feels like an interactive work of art, more than an OS.

I think Silverlight is bigger, and it just clogs arteries that Macpup
and other Puppy variants set free.
Cheers

Ray MK

#41 Post by Ray MK »

Hi runtt21

Another very pleasant surprise - decided to try Firefox - and found that this FF in MP529 is the first FF that has ran reasonably on this machine in a long time.

Mostly, my previous experience with FF has been poor, bordering on unusable. This one is good. No excessive CPU activity and/or excessive temp rises. No lagging or slowness.

The combination of a nicely sorted Puppy and presumably a much better sorted FF is good.

I won't dump Opera but it is nice to have an alternative, besides QtWeb, that works.

Again - many thanks and very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Karl Godt

#42 Post by Karl Godt »

backi wrote:Hi folks !
Keybord settings seems not working.

Also CPU frequeny scaling not possible .
1) i can confirm that e17 XKB Switcher does not like to go to the settings : Doing this results in e17 automatic recover .
( Seems i can not get scrolling inside the taskbar or resizing of modules in the taskbar to work properly also )

2) CPU freq scaling worked out of the box for me (kernel drivers loaded automatically),
cpufreq_ondemand 4240 2
acpi_cpufreq 4297 0
mperf 799 1 acpi_cpufreq
the e17-CPU-freq module seems to has improved in its appearance. CPU-Module is working also ootb .
Temperature module needs kernel coretemp.ko which never loaded automatically .
modprobe -v coretemp loaded the driver and forcibly resetting e17 by clicking for the settings of XKB Switcher makes e17 temp module displaying the temperature .

Karl Godt

#43 Post by Karl Godt »

Installed opera manually as
/opt/browsers/opera-12.01-1532.i386.linux
with symlink /opt/browsers/opera ^
with symlink /usr/local/bin/opera _> ../../../opt/browsers/opera-12.01-1532.i386.linux/opera
That is the opera wrapper script that i modified as

#!/bin/sh
me_linked_to=`readlink -e "$0"`
me_dir="${me_linked_to%/*}"
cd "$me_dir"
echo "$me_dir 
$me_linked_to 
$0"
export OPERA_DIR="$me_dir"/share/opera
export OPERA_PERSONALDIR="$me_dir"/profile
#export OPERA_DIR=${OPERA_DIR:-"${0%/*}"/share/opera}
#export OPERA_PERSONALDIR=${OPERA_PERSONALDIR:-"${0%/*}"/profile}
#exec "${0%/*}"/lib/opera/opera "$@"
echo "$OPERA_DIR"
echo "$OPERA_PERSONALDIR"
exec "$me_dir"/lib/opera/opera "$@"
also mkdir profile to keep opera happy .

Opera renders the preview correct in opposite to ff .

Installed seamonkey to into /opt/browsers but i get a mismatch with firefox :
/usr/bin/seamonkey

#!/bin/sh
seamonkey_dir=/opt/browsers/seamonkey
if type -a seamonkey; then
#exec /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey "$@"
exec "$seamonkey_dir"/seamonkey "$@"
elif type -a firefox; then
echo 'Launching alternative -- seamonkey seems not to be installed'
exec /usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"
elif type -a mozilla; then
echo 'Launching default "mozilla" -- seamonkey seems not to be installed'
exec mozilla "$@"
else
echo 'NOTICE : seamonkey, ff, mozilla seems not to be installed'
echo 'Exiting wrapper.'
echo "\$0: '$0'"
echo "readlink -e: '`readlink -e $0`'"
echo
fi

Tried the rpm2pet right click app :

rpm2pet adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm
/usr/bin/rpm2pet: line 13: unrpm: command not found

Karl Godt

#44 Post by Karl Godt »

found unrpm here : UnRPM UnDEB PET package by ttuuxxx . Works . Installs scripts unrpm and undeb to /root/my-applications/bin .
Tried first with official precise rpm package(s +libs) and could not get it to work .

The actual Precise Puppy devx loaded by sfs_load . Worked . Was missing git . Quantal's git compiled nice . cvs is missing libbsd.so but that is already noticed by Barry in the Cutting Edge Precise thread .

Could not get bluetooth to work . Bluez-4.95 compiled but am getting irritating messages about dbus . Restarted dbus . Now Roxterm launches but spits out message because of new dbus-socket . Same with e17 recover .

runtt21

#45 Post by runtt21 »

Karl , Dude Rock on !!!! But resize your screenshots. I will let don570 know his right click .pet need unrpm. Thanks !!

gcmartin samba client is listed in the woof-installed-packages list. And the inbuilt_files/samba_client list shows

/etc
/etc/samba
/etc/samba/private
/usr
/usr/bin
 nmblookup
 smbclient
/usr/sbin
 mount.cifs
 umount.cifs
/var
/var/samba
/var/samba/locks
/var/samba/log
The files are in the system, /usr/bin/smbclient

And we are still at #7 today.
Attachments
day 4.jpg
(28.56 KiB) Downloaded 1886 times

gcmartin

smbclient is NOT SAMBA. it is one small feature.

#46 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Runtt21. Thanks for looking at ths further for understandng.

Yes, I know about the SAMBA cleint. But that is only to support a Puppy network search package.

Thsi is NOT SAMBA, the package. Think of it like a library striped out of SAMBA to support another package created and used for PUPPY purposes.

SAMBA IS the abilty to share files from a Linux PC with other PCs on the LAN. It has a component SMBClient that support PC discovery on the LAN, but, that is only one of SAMBA's components. ONLY the Puppy distros I mentioned ship with SAMBA.

Being up-front with what's delivered will not diminish the quallity of your distto. But, information you provide to distrowatch will be more accurate. And, I, personally regard MACPUP as a quality distro.

Here to help

Ray MK

#47 Post by Ray MK »

Hi - just a small something FYI - can't get Pfind to work.

Made sure I had not done something totally dim, like forgetting to mount the drives I was searching.

Tried to install the latest Pfind - but no go. That was as far as I got.

Tested all the other Precise derivatives, they were all ok, switched WM to JWM, but still no go.

Looked inside 529.sfs to see if anything obvious was missing (not that I really knew what I was looking for).

Anyway - just so you know. Best regards - Ray

runtt21

#48 Post by runtt21 »

Yesterday we where still at #7 ( three days in a row) now up ti #6 :D
Attachments
day6.jpg
(26.78 KiB) Downloaded 1778 times

runtt21

#49 Post by runtt21 »

Ray MK , What was wrong with the pfind that is included? It's working for me.
Attachments
pfind1.jpg
(22.85 KiB) Downloaded 1660 times
pfind2.jpg
(48.48 KiB) Downloaded 1295 times

Ray MK

#50 Post by Ray MK »

Hi runtt21

Every time I asked Pfind to search for files or a file that I absolutely knew were on sda1 for example, it would respond saying, file not found.

However, I will try again, although BK has found file corruption in the latest Pfind pet. (although that may not be relevant here)

Will try some more and let you know what happens.

Thanks for checking - very best regards - Ray