Macpup 529

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Barburo

Chromium Browser

#91 Post by Barburo »

I was able to get Chromium browser working in Macpup528.
My attempts for 529 have not worked yet. Is there a .pet available or has anyone else done this yet?

I used puppy package manager and activated the universe repository and downloaded the headers.
Rebooted and found that there was a version (20) of chromium browser that I installed (slow download from ibiblio).
It told me that there was a cups library dependency missing.
I continued anyway but when I tried to run l got "cannot run as root" message.
Googled the problem and found that using this form of the command to start chromium:
chromium-browser --user-data-dir
solved the "cannot run as root" problem.
It still would not run so I used a terminal and got other messages about the sandbox not being the right mode (2477 or something like that).
I cant remember the exact message but it's getting too technical for me to take any further.
Anyone able to help?
B.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

runtt21

Re: Can you reorganize Macpup information?

#92 Post by runtt21 »

Barburo wrote:I would love to be able to go to your own site: macpup.org and find all of the information organized about all the macpups, samples of e17 themes, hints, downloads, release notes etc. all in one place. (Something like www.lhpup.org is what I'm imagining).

Also I'm a little confused as to why you have your own separate forum - isn't that a bit of a duplication? I'm having to cross-post.

B.
That is why we have our own forum. We have organized everything there. And if it isn't posted on our forum we have links to all the relevant stuff.

"samples of e17 themes, hints, downloads, release notes etc." it's already there.

Please don't cross post. I am not online all day . Stay calm, when i get online I will try to help. I have a Job,family,house and a ton of other problems that I am working on at the same time.

Until some of the browser guys make a .pet of chromium for precise I can't do much about this.

I don't do jwm themes.Sorry, But there are a ton of them on this forum.

backi

#93 Post by backi »

Hi barburo !

Maybe try http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80019
Google Chrome 21 Slacko .
Does work on dpupExprimo maybe works for you .

dogbert0360

Nvidia drivers for macpup 529

#94 Post by dogbert0360 »

Are there any nvidia drivers that will work with macpup 529.

When I tried to use PPM to search for them I was given the choice of nvidia 304 but this is for k3.2.29 or something like that.

rokytnji

Re: Nvidia drivers for macpup 529

#95 Post by rokytnji »

dogbert0360 wrote:Are there any nvidia drivers that will work with macpup 529.

When I tried to use PPM to search for them I was given the choice of nvidia 304 but this is for k3.2.29 or something like that.
Yes.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 460#647460

I use the same driver on my rig

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA NV6 [Vanta/Vanta LT] 
           X.Org: 1.12.3 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@85.0hz 
In Quickpet->drivers tab->Click here to test your graphics card

dogbert0360

#96 Post by dogbert0360 »

(@ rokytnji)
What proprietary nvidia driver are you using? Is there one in the repo's other than 304?

If there is then I will update my repo's so that I can use them.

rokytnji

#97 Post by rokytnji »

noveau is not a proprietary driver. It is open source. driver. Go to Wizard Wizard. Configure xorg. Exit X to go to

Code: Select all

xorgwizard
. Pick Choose. Nvidia noveau will be in there.

vicmz

#98 Post by vicmz »

There is now Precise 5.4.1. Will a Macpup 5.4.1 be released?

Barburo

#99 Post by Barburo »

I went traveling recently with my laptop and logged in to various airport and condo wifi connections.
On return home I found two difficulties with the macpup 529 wifi connectivity through my home lan:
- I had to try several times each login to get connected using the Network Wizard - it sometimes told me I was connected when I wasn't.
- The connection wouldn't persist from session to session.

...so I installed this version of frisbee (from the Precise Puppy 5.4 and 5.4.1beta1thread) and it works and reconnects me every time I reboot!
I simply installed the .pet and it reconnects me - I did not have to make any changes to start-up scripts.
The xpupsay part shows the pup logo for connectivity messages which I find a bit cute but I'll live with it. (There may be a .pet for frisbee without xpupsay).
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... h&id=59213

As 529 is based on Precise I have been trying to get various packages to work by looking for versions from the repositories or elsewhere.
I wanted to get gkrellm working and found that this version of version 2.3.4 by tuuxxx works with 529.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=25052

I got the gkrellkam .deb file from here that works with this version of gkrellm.
http://pkgs.org/ubuntu-12.04/ubuntu-uni ... 6.deb.html

I am still trying to get chrome browser to work in 529 but nothing yet.

B.

peebee

Re: Chromium Browser

#100 Post by peebee »

Barburo wrote:My attempts for 529 have not worked yet. Is there a .pet available or has anyone else done this yet?
Hi Barburo

Try:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81351

I think (not tested!) Chromium25 should run OK on Macpup 529 as its based on Precise.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Barburo

#101 Post by Barburo »

Thanks peebee.
Chromium v25 from .pet works fine!

edit: Chromium icon doesn't show up in menu - and I cannot determine where to set it.
B.

runtt21

#102 Post by runtt21 »

Make sure it has a .desktop file in /use/share/application

Barburo

#103 Post by Barburo »

Thanks runtt21 ... the chromium icon just needed to be copied to usr/share/icons

B.

Barburo

#104 Post by Barburo »

Runtt21,
There has not been much activity on this thread lately so I was curious if you have any idea how many users you have for Macpup 529?

I use it because it comes up faster than any other Puppy on all my laptops and desktops, and it's a speedy performer.
You stress it's a development version - seems pretty stable to me - plus as it's based on Precise, it has a long term future. Any plans to move it to production release?

Thanks for your work on this one - hope you're having a good holiday season down there in Texas.
B.

runtt21

#105 Post by runtt21 »

About three weeks ago my Toshiba died on me. I will probably get it fixed later in January. But that is why I haven't been doing a lot , plus I work in retail and this is a super busy time for us. So when I am home I try to rest as much as I can. I have compiled a new version of EFL but they have advanced way beyond that . I am watching both the development of precise and e . Both are moving rapidly. I am concerned about the black screen issue with the newer builds of precise and slacko. I have several new themes I just need to finish . I did get a new laptop but I don't have anything setup on it yet. I don't plan on doing anything major until after the first of the year.

ciento

#106 Post by ciento »

Hope your employer rakes in a fortune, and is generous to you who
help make the business possible. Hopefully rude and deadbeat customers will
all shop at your competitors :lol:

Taking a well deserved break is important,
especially when the work is heavy.

runtt21

#107 Post by runtt21 »

Merry Christmas everyone, and a safe and happy new year!!!!!

runtt21

#108 Post by runtt21 »

Just to let everyone know yes I have been watching the e17 development. I almost have my hardware issues resolved and as soon as that is put to bed I will begin building a new Macpup and updating and themes and other stuff......
[url]http://macpup.org/runtt21[/url]

James C

#109 Post by James C »

Congrats on Macpup 529 being number 5 in Sneekylinux's Top Ten of 2012/2013....... :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlggvJazArY

runtt21

#110 Post by runtt21 »

Thank you Sir !! And BIG Thank you to Sneeky !!!

I am working on the new macpup. I don't know if this current build of e is going to be in it . I am testing several to see which one ( the newest 17.1 or an older snapshot ) will be in. But I am actually doing something..... :lol:

Here is a shot of EFL 1.7.5 with elementary,emotion,ethumb,terminology and e 17.0 It has several issues so I am trying 17.1 next. Running precise 5.4.3 .

http://www.enlightenment.org/ss/display ... 605018.jpg