Best external data storage/retrieval device for old PC?

Booting, installing, newbie
mudpuppy

Best external data storage/retrieval device for old PC?

#1 Post by mudpuppy »

PC also has two USB ports (1.1?) in back, parallel and serial ports, CD and floppy drives.

Would like to retrieve pup_save file from a previous Puppy 4.00 frugal install. Files are small with mainly text.

The computer doesn't recognize flash drives plugged into the USB ports, and doesn't detect USB ports at all.

Thinking maybe of a device that plugs into the parallel port but unsure if any CD devices are available for that. Believe Iomega still makes its Zip 100 external drive for parallel but unsure how well it works with Puppy Linux. Plan to reinstall either v. 4.00 or 4.20, normal install this time.

This external device is also to be used similarly with two other old PCs, one of which has no USB ports at all.

Suggestions as to which device would work best are most welcome. Thanks in advance :)

The perpetual newb,

mudpuppy

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Are these machines on a home network? ie. are they wired into a router or switch so each one has an IP address?

mudpuppy

#3 Post by mudpuppy »

No, only the machine described above is active - others in a closet presently.

mudpuppy

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

But do you have a network setup where they could be connected that way?

rokytnji

#5 Post by rokytnji »

If you can get on the internet. I store isos and other stuff like wallpapers and save files at

http://minus.com/

You can access those files you stored in the cloud with a puppy live cd and restore pristine save file for corrupted save file from there. Just a option outside of hardware personal storage. 200mb upload is the limit though to minus.
Last edited by rokytnji on Thu 13 Sep 2012, 05:48, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Would like to retrieve pup_save file from a previous Puppy 4.00 frugal install. Files are small with mainly text.
Does computer this is on have a CD burner?
Burn a CD.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mudpuppy

#7 Post by mudpuppy »

rcrsn51,

No network setup, machines couldn't be connected that way.

bigpup,

No CD burner, would installing an internal one be a good option? Thought that the age of the PC (1999) might be a limiting factor and the cost of upgrading internal stuff may be prohibitive.

External burner might be kinda iffy also with the old USB ports.

mudpuppy

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

You can physically remove the hard drive from machine A, connect it to Machine B and copy the file. A USB-IDE adapter is handy for doing this.

mudpuppy

#9 Post by mudpuppy »

rcrsn51 wrote:You can physically remove the hard drive from machine A, connect it to Machine B and copy the file. A USB-IDE adapter is handy for doing this.
Assume you mean copy the file to a USB 2.0 flash drive? That would work but uncertain why HD from A needs to be swapped to B? I must admit I'm unfamiliar with the adapter you mentioned :oops: . Also, the few I've found for sale on the 'net don't mention Linux compatibility :( .

After retrieving pup_save file my intention is to wipe the HD. Same procedure to be followed with the other two machines, individually, later on.

bigpup's suggestion may be more practical for the long term. Presently I have no CD burner at all but do have an empty bay in this machine to install one in. Since this PC was made before internal burners were commonly available, I'm concerned that the installation of one might be more than simple "plug and play". That - plus incompatible USB ports - are the reasons I was considering going with the Zip 100 solution.

rokytnji....thanks for the offer but I'm a dialup dinosaur :) .

mudpuppy

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

If you try to get a CD burner you probably need to get one that still uses the old IDE connector data cable.
Most everything now uses SATA.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Bligh

#11 Post by Bligh »

I use Puppy 4.3.1 to boot and copy files off the internal drive. Puppy will recognize usb ports on the computer and many usb hard drives
Cheers

Les Kerf

#12 Post by Les Kerf »

mudpuppy wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:You can physically remove the hard drive from machine A, connect it to Machine B and copy the file. A USB-IDE adapter is handy for doing this.
Assume you mean copy the file to a USB 2.0 flash drive? That would work but uncertain why HD from A needs to be swapped to B? ...
It is fairly easy to remove the hard drive from your problem PC, and then connect it to a "working" PC. LOW budgets (like mine) dictate swapping the drive INTO the "working" PC; if it has room for two HDD's you can simply transfer the files to the other HDD, or plug in a USB drive, etc.

Are the files small enough to fit on floppies?
Les

Dewbie

#13 Post by Dewbie »

mudpuppy wrote:
No CD burner, would installing an internal one be a good option? Thought that the age of the PC (1999) might be a limiting factor and the cost of upgrading internal stuff may be prohibitive.
My 1999 Compaq Deskpro originally had an IDE CD-ROM.
Changed to an IDE CD burner; everything works fine.

They're generally cheap and easy to find on Craig's List or EBay.
(Should say ReWritable on the front.)

If using CL, verify that it works before buying.
And don't forget the cable. :shock:

mudpuppy

#14 Post by mudpuppy »

bigpup....understood, IDE cables are the ones to look for...thanks!

Bligh....thanks for the info re Puppy 4.3.1. My PC won't recognize any flash drives, prolly a matter of plugging USB 2.0 FDs into the USB 1.1 ports in back of machine?

Les....thanks for the HD info, that's useful stuff and I'm saving it for future reference. As for the floppies, well, that's an interesting idea BUT would have to dig deep into the inner depths of an old computer junk box in a closet to find same, even then not sure they'd be enough to handle the file size. BTW, are floppies still being made anymore (just curious)?

Dewbie....thanks for the CD-RW drive info, checked my PCs innards and it will be a "plug and play" install if I just do a straight swap. CL was a dead end and I have issues dealing with Ebay but found that Amazon has a good selection among their sellers, mainly Lite-On brand. Some for less than $5.00 :shock: ! I plan to order two just in case one arrives DOA :) , besides I have two more old PCs to upgrade.

mudpuppy