Best puppy net- or ultrabook?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Dromeno

Best puppy net- or ultrabook?

#1 Post by Dromeno »

Yes I know, one thing which you are not supposed to need for puppy is an ultrabook. But it has come to my attention that the hardware specs of the Asus eee netbooks are gong down with the latest 10 inch versions. I guess it is the result of the popularity of tablets nowadays, perhaps even all the netbooks are on the way out.

Currently you see "ultrabooks" everywhere. Expensive yes but there seems to be no escape. Even if you only need a 10-12 inch ultraportable (no DVD drive) thingy. So I would like to read some experiences of other people. What kind of puppy multiboot friendly machine do you guys recommend as replacement for an asus eee?

requirements:

multibootable, especially light, capable to running all kinds of puppies without driver problems, affordable

ideas?

mini-jaguar

#2 Post by mini-jaguar »

I have no idea what to recommend, but I've seen specs on new netbooks and they are nice: 64-bit processors, 320 GB drives, etc.

What I would be more concerned with is if the touchpad and buttons are good. I have one of the old Asus eeePCs, and the thing I like the least is the touchpad buttons and power switch seem really cheap, even though I haven't had any major problems with them.

Also, netbooks seem to be getting rarer and rarer in physical shops, you might have to order online which would kind of suck because you can't try out the touchpad.

You can also try to find a used one locally.

ally

#3 Post by ally »

I have a brace of eeepc's and really like them

run jemimah's puppeee on them but have run macpup and slacko without too much issue, jemimah's build handles the screens better for me

I recently had a discussion at my local linux user group meeting an the samsung nc10 was highly rated and being a lenovo fan I would like to give the S10 a bash but unfortunately no experience

:)