Fprot Updater fails with "expired license key" message

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
michel804

#16 Post by michel804 »

How did you install your fprot in ThinSlack?
I believe it was from the PPM on that system, I also went to this website to get more info, http://web.tiscali.it/sharp/xfprot/
Thanks

otropogo

#17 Post by otropogo »

michel804 wrote:
How did you install your fprot in ThinSlack?
I believe it was from the PPM on that system, I also went to this website to get more info, http://web.tiscali.it/sharp/xfprot/
Thanks
Interesting, as I hadn't come across the website previously. But disappointing in at least three respects:

1. the website apparently hasn't been recopyrighted since 2009, which may explain

2. when you click on the link there to download Fprot, no link for the free linux home user file is to be found, and

3. the x-fprot changelog shows no changes since 2003! So presumably version 2.4 is now eleven years old.

The fact that it's still able to get the updated sig files from fsecure seems miraculous.

I'm not familiar with Slack installs, or have forgotten the details. I see only RPM and deb packages on the x-fprot page, plus the generic linux version, which requires the installation of libraries.

What did you use, and what was the process for installing the app? I also have to migrate to a 64bit system, which may be an additional problem, according to the text.

OOPS! More confusion. I just opened xfprot in puppy and see under the About tab:

"Version 2, 1991", while the banner headline says "XFPROT 2.4 (c) 2002-2009 GPL"

I guess I should just try installing it under Knoppix using the deb package. But I really have no idea how, having only used installer apps like pet manager or synaptic. Neither Fprot nor xfprot are listed by synaptic, at least when run from Knoppix.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo