childrens educational game suite gcompris

Play with your Puppy.
cobelloy

childrens educational game suite gcompris

#1 Post by cobelloy »

hi there, there is a game suite for children called gcompris

http://gcompris.net/

It is a set of games that help children learn skills like mouse control, keyboard skill, literacy and numeracy. It is a great set of games that my daughter just loves (although she is still too little for most of the games)

I know nothing about software but if anyone else out there has likkle-uns (translation - "little ones")...

I should add - I havent tried the tarball, was curious to see if anyone has time to make a dotpup

thanks xxxx :wink:

Nathan F

#2 Post by Nathan F »

A few people have tried, but I'm not sure if anyone has ever succeeded. Gcompris has a very long list of dependencies, starting with Gnome and going on for a while after that. I never had any success getting it running on the threee or four distros I've tried it on. I think the best way to try it out would be to try it in Mandrake, which is the only distro they seem to support.

The developers have made it an extremely unfriendly program to compile, going so far as to release some of the library dependencies only in rpm format, without even offering a source tarball for download. That's a very nasty trick IMHO.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

MU

#3 Post by MU »

I tried it weeks ago without success.
Maybe it works with gnome 2.8-"runtime":
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7671

But I won't try that today.
But maybe binariy-releases (.rpm) will work out of the box with it.
If it is available as .deb, you should use that, as I took the Gnome from Debian, too.

Mark