Ov-Precise-5.2.61 non-pae No longer AVAILABLE

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
oldyeller

Ov-Precise-5.2.61 non-pae No longer AVAILABLE

#1 Post by oldyeller »

Hello everyone,

Here is an update .pet for mpalyer. You will be able to adjust video picture quilty

mplayer_update.001

It might seem that I have flooded the forum with Precise :lol: :lol: :lol:

for here is another one with a non-pae kernel.

Download here
md5
90b110a096eaebf48909d3e3026a388e

devx_ov-precise_5.2.61.sfs
md5
4b183ac4b7dddb0c779b46101184281d

Hope you will enjoy this non-pae version!!
Last edited by oldyeller on Sat 09 Feb 2013, 02:54, edited 4 times in total.

gcmartin

non-PAE or PAE

#2 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Oldyeller. this is a good approach to satisfy those who would want to use it on some PCs which dont have PAE. Although there are not very many PCs built since 1995 that don't have it, its obvious that couple members may still have these for their personal test or use needs.

Suggestion
You may want to differentiate your distros to make it simple for the community to understand which ISO is PAE and which is NOT.

(You may have already done this, so disregard my suggestion)

One method I have seen community members use is adding PAE somewhere in the name. That could make a given ISO readily distinguishable.

(You may have already done this, so disregard my suggestion)

Here to help

peebee

Re: Precise-5.2.61 non-pae

#3 Post by peebee »

oldyeller wrote:Hello everyone,

Download here
md5

devx_precise_5.2.61.sfs
md5

Hi oldyeller

I'm unable to download the kernel sources:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /JamesC/precise/kernel_sources-3.2.27-precise.sfs on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Tote

#4 Post by Tote »

Hi there :) I'm confused.

I clicked the link above, got the download, it was saved as Precise 5.2.61-SCSI.iso, but when I checked the md5 it shows as Precise 5.3.0-SCSI.

Is it the wrong link or something? (I'm easily confused so it could be me.)

oldyeller

#5 Post by oldyeller »

peebee wrote:
oldyeller wrote:Hello everyone,

Download here
md5

devx_precise_5.2.61.sfs
md5

Hi oldyeller

I'm unable to download the kernel sources:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /JamesC/precise/kernel_sources-3.2.27-precise.sfs on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
I get the samething hopefully James c will see this and correct it.

Tote
Hi there Smile I'm confused.

I clicked the link above, got the download, it was saved as Precise 5.2.61-SCSI.iso, but when I checked the md5 it shows as Precise 5.3.0-SCSI.

Is it the wrong link or something? (I'm easily confused so it could be me.)
I have just downloaded the iso and checked the md5 and it is correct.

md5

Cheers

James C

#6 Post by James C »

peebee wrote: I'm unable to download the kernel sources:
Forbidden

Should be working now......
http://www.smokey01.com/JamesC/precise/ ... recise.sfs

oldyeller

#7 Post by oldyeller »

Thanks James C

Here is an update .pet for mpalyer. You will be able to adjust video picture quilty

mplayer_update.001

Cheers

Ray MK

#8 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

This runs fine on my 10tr old Acer laptop.

Was interesting to compare with 5.3.0 - nothing of consequence in it.

5.2.61 seems to be very slightly better with resources - a nat's nidgin's worth better.
Running temp is virtually identical to 5.3.0.
Speed and smoothness - nothing in it.

So pae or non-pae doesn't seem to matter on this kit using Precise.

However, someone with an even more ram challenged contraption and with a different proc. may notice a more pronounced difference in performance.

My old 128mb ram laptop with a Via proc. died recently - so can't test with that.
Might try with the IBM - can't get wifi going on that - maybe the later kernel will help there.

HTH - very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

mikeslr

GTK theme chooser & mplayer post & a New Name

#9 Post by mikeslr »

Hi oldyeller:

Thanks for the non-pae version. I'm posting from it now. Like Barry's official version, and Pemasu's earlier version, Precise 5.2.61-non-pae is able to use the pets, and sfses built for precise, Lupu or Lucid (at least, the one's I generally install). Additionally, it can run both Opera and firefox directly downloaded from their creators, and unpacked in /mnt/home.
The only problem I've run into thus far is that Chtheme GTK Theme Chooser doesn't appear to work. It seems to be stuck on Citrus, and selecting any other doesn't effect a change. Perhaps something I installed effected it. But it would be nice if someone else could test before I try to unscramble eggs.

Edit: It also seems that desktop settings>JWM Configuration does not work to change the number of virtual desktops.

Edit2: Both above problems did not appear on install to USB-Key booted from Thinkpad T42. So there must be a conflict with one of my usual additions.

Desiring to post the above, I had to look for this tread a couple of times, (a) because the name of the thread changed, but primarily (b) the first thing discussed is now about an update to mplayer. The text you intended for your post further down also found its way to the top of the thread.

On another thread, it's been suggested that you consider changing the name of your puplet. Don't feel bad about that suggestion. It happened to pemasu. Using iguleder's kernel (or a slight variant) he started working on dpup, calling it as iguleder had, "dpup." As that caused confusion, he changed the name of his puplet to Exprimo. Exprimo has had a great run, far greater than dpup.

For what it's worth --probably the same amount as you're paying for this suggestion-- since the source files being used are not "Ubuntu Precise" but rather "Ubuntu Pangolin Precise," and in keeping with Puppy's fondness for using names somehow relating to canines, you might consider the name "fangolin." (':)')

mikesLr

p.s. Ray MK has made me curious. Tomorrow, I'll install it to a USB-Key and see how it fairs on my Thinkpad T42 and Asus 701SD. Both, however, aren't really RAM challenged. I have a Dell Latitude which is, but that would require an actual install, and I really don't like playing around with it: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

oldyeller

#10 Post by oldyeller »

I have renamed my Precise to Ov-Precise ie; oldyeller version

This is not a new iso I just have renamed it.

peebee

Broadcom WL

#11 Post by peebee »

I have added support for Precise 5.3.0 k3.2.27_5.2.60 to my Broadcom WL multi-kernel driver -
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76495
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

oldyeller

Re: Broadcom WL

#12 Post by oldyeller »

peebee wrote:I have added support for Precise 5.3.0 k3.2.27_5.2.60 to my Broadcom WL multi-kernel driver -
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76495
Thanks

oldyeller

#13 Post by oldyeller »

I have just updated the upup repo with gimp-2.8.2 and it's dependences by scabz. click on gimp and it will download the dependences.

I also uploaded more apps by radky

Cheers

oldyeller

#14 Post by oldyeller »

Hello Everyone,

I have just uploaded fluxbox-1.3.2 and tint2; I redid tint2 so that it loads on the bottom of the screen.

Will be doing openbox and obconf in the next few days.

Enjoy

oldyeller

#15 Post by oldyeller »

Hello Everyone,

I have lost everything for all three of the Precise puppy's I have done.

Had to reformat my hdd; Puppy could not access the 2nd partition anymore. Some how it got corrupted.

The laptop I have know and OV-Preices does not get along well with each other, So I will not be able to keep up with the repo-upup or do anymore on precise. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I will however keep all three ov-precise puppies available as they are now. so they will still be downloadable and use what is in the upup repo.