Dpup Wheezy. Woof-CE built debian wheezy 7.2 packages used

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
peebee

#16 Post by peebee »

Hi pemasu

Another indication that something is not quite right in the networking world:

NetworkWizard does not show any modules to load if you choose the "Load Module" button...

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Ray MK

#17 Post by Ray MK »

This is amazing - don't think anything that I've used before on this machine has been faster.

Ram and CPU use / activity is minimal - temp low too.

This is all on my 10yr old Acer laptop. Even running Firefox seems ok. Usually it is almost un-usable.

So far - for me at least - this si a fantastic Puppy.
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

pemasu

#18 Post by pemasu »

Thank you of the feedback so far. There seems to be promising reports, missing stuff found, like libdrm-radeon1 and the network-wireless section needs work.

I wish I would know what is the crucial problem. Firmwares are not found from their normal location, wl module does not work and so on. I used udev from wheezy to get network driver modules autoloaded, but I dont know is it behind this misbehavior. It can be anything at this point. Insufficient data so far.
I can confirm from pmodemdiag reports ( thank you of posting them ) that the driver tries to load but it cant find the firmware from the normal location. Wl module loads but it does nothing.

Brown Mouse

#19 Post by Brown Mouse »

Hi Pemasu

No luck booting this as yet although its a good download.
I see some real strange behaviour booting with grub(files extracted from the .iso to a test directory,my preferred method) and some red text lines before a message that says 'pausing for 60 seconds'.Then it cant find the sfs?

James C

#20 Post by James C »

So far, so good..... :)
Attachments
wheezy.png
(30.04 KiB) Downloaded 1897 times

rerwin

System commands not found & wrong modprobe version used

#21 Post by rerwin »

pemasu,
Peebee asked me for ideas on why the Broadcom wifi drivers are not working. I booted up wheezy myself to see what is happening.

1. I see some error messages implying that a default path is not set during some part of initialization and shutdown. I have no ideas about that.

2. The puppy module loader is not working. It uses 'modprobe' extensively. Puppies use the full version of modprobe, but also have a link named modprobe-BB-NOTUSED. Wheezy's 'modprobe' is a link to busybox, the same as modprobe-BB-NOTUSED in other puppies! There is no "modprobe-FULL", meaning that the modprobe being used is different from other puppies. Did the real modprobe get overlaid by the modprobe softlink during the merge of woof into wheezy? Or does something need to be built/configured differently? Anyway, the busybox modprobe is not sufficient for operation.

I hope this provides a clue for you.
Richard

01micko

#22 Post by 01micko »

@rerwin and pemasu

I bet this is due to the new multicall binary "kmod', which replaces modules-init-tools. I had nightmares with that stuff in both a wheezy raspberry pi build and the latest slacko alpha. In the armel-wheezy repos modules-init-tools is a dummy package, it is actually empty. They call it a "transitional" package ..[ :? ]

IIRC you have to hack the template for modules-init-tools a bit and pry in kmod. Worked ok for me. Alternatively, I think just using kmod will be fine without a template, as long as you check what deps it requires.

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

pemasu

#23 Post by pemasu »

01micko and rerwin. Great ! Now I have a road to go. Thanks !!!

charlie6

icons missing ...under nouveau video driver running

#24 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
here on compaq evo510 + nvidia NV11DDR (GeForce2 MX200) + nouveau driver (xorgwizard default choice upon bootup),
icons are missing, or uncomplete displayed, excepted if mouse curso positionned on it;
same thing here on firefox/murga-linux forum:the icon «Post reply» is not visible as long as the mouse cursor is not positioned on it.
Is this an issue particular to nouveau.ko driver?
See attachment

I could not select another video driver:
nv driver not present
vesa: have selected it in xorgwizad; but cannot get it to work that way.
Attachments
post_reply_missing.png
(6.33 KiB) Downloaded 1675 times
icons_are_missing.png
(87.52 KiB) Downloaded 1618 times

pemasu

#25 Post by pemasu »

Charlie6. I do not have that problem with intel driver.
http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xserver ... eo-nv.html
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepor ... g-video-nv

It seems that xserver-xorg-video-nv is not yet in packages database. I hope it will be added, but...i386 version is not even in sid ie testing platform...so I dont know what is the status of that nv_drv.so.
I will follow the development though.

You could try getnvidia pet and compile nvidia driver if you are adventurous. Or...was that the one which needed the older nvidia version...which is not supported with these newer kernels ?

You could try in console: nouveau_unload which blacklists the nouveau kernel module. Then reboot and try xorgwizard again. It might be good idea to install this attached zzkmod pet first. It will be needed.

EDIT: found this post today from precise puppy thread:
After much experimentation, I found a simple solution. In
Code:
/etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf
change options nouveau modeset=1 to options nouveau modeset=0.
Beta 3 will now boot into with vesa and the menus are just fine

nouveau_unload script do this and blacklists the nouveau kernel module also.

I have created now the zzkmod-0.0.1 pet which I thought to use. I suppose this one is the missing step for getting module probing and loading to work.
Attachments
zzkmod-0.0.1.pet
(80.27 KiB) Downloaded 863 times

Jim1911

#26 Post by Jim1911 »

Looking good. Booted fine and basic applications all appear to work (including HP printer installation) as well as all of radky's fine applications.

Problems discovered.
1. getnvidia.pet appears to work fine, however, choosing the driver and typing xwin does not get a desktop, same with probe. Had to go back and create a new save file using the nouveau driver. I was also unable to install the new NVIDIA driver manually.:(
2. Your Bibletime works, however only when executing from a terminal. For some reason clicking on /usr/bin/bibletime does nothing. There were no error messages when executing from a terminal. I had this identical problem with your Bibletime installed on Precise b3.

I'm sure that you will have this at the quality of Dpup Exprimo 5.X.15 soon, which IMO is the best pup ever.

Cheers,
Jim :D

charlie6

nouveau.ko driver

#27 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pemasu,
thanks for replying !
pemasu wrote:Charlie6...You could try getnvidia pet and compile nvidia driver if you are adventurous. Or...was that the one which needed the older nvidia version...which is not supported with these newer kernels ?
..yes, it is! :oops: :)
pemasu wrote:...It might be good idea to install this attached zzkmod pet first. It will be needed...
i got zzkmod pet installed and rebooted ...nope ...==> « no (longer) video signal ! » reported on the LCD display... :shock:
So i prefer to stay whit what's working for now...
Cheers, Charlie

pemasu

#28 Post by pemasu »

Charlie6. Yep. zzkmod-0.0.1 pet is not enough. It will need some system script modification, I am afraid. I am tracking them atm.

mikeslr

Got to Desktop, but that's about it

#29 Post by mikeslr »

Hi pemasu & all,

My specs:
Processor: 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor
Memory: 3375MB
ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics supporting 1600x900 pixels
RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708B Analog
SB {HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT1708B Digital

Booted to desktop @ 1054 x something using "Ati Vesa." Initiating xorgwizard and selecting either probe or choose apparently did not accomplish anything as later typing xwin did not bring up a desktop of any sort. Additionally, xorgwizard ran very slow.
Rebooted, left desktop with its default and tried to set up wireless. Neither Douglas or SNS recognized an interface. Oddly, checking Auto DHCP reported "success" but scanning for a network again reported absence of an interface.
Installed Frisbee from Exprimo but didn't run.

Didn't test sound.

Will await further developments.

mikesLr

pemasu

#30 Post by pemasu »

I have created now build which seems to probe modules right for me. It can be that there is still need for system script modifications.
/etc/rc.d/sysinit script needed change. Call for busybox modprobe change to depmod. It can be that there is still somewhere samekind script modification needs.
All this is because this new kmod multicall binary which handles now modprobe, rmmod, lsmod etc..kernel module driver handling.

peebee

#31 Post by peebee »

pemasu wrote:I have created now build which seems to probe modules right for me. ..... All this is because this new kmod multicall binary which handles now modprobe, rmmod, lsmod etc..kernel module driver handling.
Hi pemasu

Success reports:

Loaded your zzmod pet - after reboot the b43 driver was loaded and the firmware found and installed.

Loaded the attached backend_modprobe_fix pet pm'd to me by rerwin, blacklisted b43 - rebooted - wl was loaded.
rerwin wrote:But one thing we ran into with 01micko's (I think) effort with newer kernels -- or udev -- was that blacklisting no longer worked for puppy. I provided a fixed backend_modprobe which solved that problem. Please try the attached package to see if blacklisting is causing the problem.
Cheers
peebee
Attachments
screenie.png
(98.52 KiB) Downloaded 1741 times
peebee_backend_modprobe_fix-1.pet
(3.99 KiB) Downloaded 959 times
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pemasu

#32 Post by pemasu »

Peebee....and rerwin. Thanks for the script. I will test it also.

peebee

#33 Post by peebee »

pemasu wrote:Peebee....and rerwin. Thanks for the script. I will test it also.
Started again with a clean savefile, loaded both pets, rebooted and wl driver loaded and working as it should be.

Has also got rid of the usb 1 to 10 count on bootup.

Still getting inode errors on shutdown.

Cheers
peebee

radky

#34 Post by radky »

1 - Zfind demonstrates high CPU usage and becomes unresponsive when searching in root ("/") -- must be killed.

2 - Geany 0.12 is very old (from 2007).

3 - /usr/local/jwmconfig2/panel-buttons is the old 'buggy' version, rather the updated version in Exprimo.

4 - /usr/local/jwmconfig2/theme_switcher is the old 'restricted' version, rather than the updated 'scrolling' version in Exprimo.

mikeslr

Got internet, still no support to Ati-Radeo 3100 Graphics

#35 Post by mikeslr »

Hi pemasu & all,

My specs:
Processor: 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor
Memory: 3375MB (268MB used)
ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics supporting 1600x900 pixels
RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708B Analog
SB {HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT1708B Digital

Installed zzkmod-0.0.1 and peebee_backend_modprobe_fix-1.pet, rebooted --was necessary-- and got web using SNS. Following your advice to Stu91, used ppm search on radeon. Installed one, but perhaps not the right one. Graphics are now @ 1024x768. Installed most of my "usual" apps. No version of xvidcap worked. Anyway, progress.

mikesLr