We did it! Beyond PuppyCE 1.09

Promote Puppy !
Lobster
Official Crustacean

We did it! Beyond PuppyCE 1.09

#1 Post by Lobster »

I am in Puppy 1.09 We did it!
Soon when Barry returns from Perth or gets back online he will announce its arrival officially :)

A first Puppy2 Beta is due soon - Nice.

We have called it PuppyCE 1.09 (that arose amongst the developers quite naturally)
the CE stands for Community Edition

We are now moving behind Puppy2 development
and Nathan will be developing Grafpup
- I wonder if that might in time become an sfs
addon or hopefully retain package compatibility?

What of the future?
Well everything worked well in CE development.
It inspired people and hopefully will again . . .

Again I hope Barry will support a Puppy2CE
and will be involved

I have some suggested directions:

One of the directions I hope will be a help is the
web page and bookmarks. This was very simple to implement
(it had to be - I had a hand/claw in it)
One way forward with this for a brave new programmer
is XUL (built into Firefox and Seamonkey)
This would integrate Puppy right into the browser . . .

Other thoughts for your consideration

1 click installs - .pet comes of age
1 click Puppy Window Managers
1 click program upgrades
1 click Wine add on
I click to Megapup / codecs / Grafpup add on etc
Firefox suggested upgrades
Will Sticky Notes and Puppy Money be added?
Mtpaint 3.00 (ready about August)
Help made easier

How do you feel about the future of Puppy?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Nathan F

#2 Post by Nathan F »

Regarding Grafpup-
I try to maintain package compatibility as far as is possible, but some things are hard to do so with. I did an upgrade to GTK-2.8 recently in order to get some programs to work, and this causes some incompatibility right off. If Barry does a lib upgrade to match Slackware as he has said he might, then this issue will probably disappear.

I could maybe create an addon squashfile containing a lot of what I consider the 'core' graphics programs, but the whole concept of Grafpup is growing if anything and is now way too large to be contained as an addon. I've just got too many crazy ideas that I'm working on right now.

Ragarding Puppy2-
I'm as excited as anybody about it's arrival, and am looking forward to contributing more to it. I've got some ideas of my own that I think will implement well with the new structure. I'm also pretty excited about the new programs that Barry has been adding to the mix. In fact, with the exception of Inkscape and the Browser we worked on a pretty well parallell track to him.

I think (along with a few other people) that finally implementing the dotpet package concept that we've talked about for so long should be one of our highest priorities right now. We've proven we can tackle an entire iso, so how hard would it be to get together and write a good package management system as a team in comparison? A lot of people are saying that it needs done, they want it done, and the sooner the better. I know of at least three working concepts for installers that were developed independently. We should just go ahead and pool our resources to make the best we can, and then see what Barry thinks once we've got a working system ready.

Nathan

PS-Lobster-
Your contribution of bookmarks and intro page should be viewed as a major contribution to the project. Even though, as you say, it was a relatively simple task, the fact is that it makes a great impression and no one else was doing anything about it! Well done I say.
Bring on the locusts ...

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

8) I did what I could

Rarsa did real good too
Here is the menu after adding Seamonkey and Skype with Pupget . . .

I changed the theme incidentally. I am feeling more confident with 1.09 - that is important as it is my main operating system. I was in Puppy2 alpha7 and I hope the menu can be added to Puppy2 - that is up to Barry.

In many ways I feel 1.09 is a tribute to Barrys efforts. Not many people are able to create a successful distro. The effort involved is incredible. Here it is. Puppy 1.09 - on the verge of Puppy 2

Where will we be in one year?
'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Sky'

How many have added? Jesse with MUT. Guest2 with .pups and so much coding suggestions. If not for GuestToos patience with my innane efforts and questions I would be using another distro. MU with backgrounds. How long has MU been with us? How many influences he has had . . . Rarsa worked hard on the menus. Improvements on the trashcan and JWM.

For a long time we relied on Barry. This CE (community edition) proves that Puppy has a future well beyond Puppy2, that we can all contribute to in some way. I hope he stays with us and contributes from his walkabout wanderings. That would be great.

Barry is adding subversion to Puppy2 beta. it means that coders can work communally. We have usr_devx.sfs as an add on for compiling in Puppy. What we have is solid.

I have always felt that Linux is our operating system. That Puppy is unique. Onward and upward.

woof woof
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D