Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 28 Jul 2016, 10:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Questions re: Puppy on a Computer With No OS
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
Dande

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2012, 12:03    Post subject:  Questions re: Puppy on a Computer With No OS  

If I boot Puppy from a CD on a computer with no OS can the sf file be saved to disk? and if so how do I access it to save a backup copy?

Thot maybe I should ask a dumb question B4 trying something stupid. Smile
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2012, 12:12    Post subject:  

If you boot the CD from a CD burner, the save file can be saved on the CD! Better yet, use a DVD if the computer has a DVD burner, because they work better for multisession. I've been running various Puppies from multisession CD and DVD for about 7 years.

Alternatively, the save file can be saved on an internal hard disk if the computer has one, or an external (USB) flash disk.

The computer should have at least 256 MB of RAM. That's about the only hardware restriction to run Puppy in a computer without a hard disk. More would be better.
L18L

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2012, 13:05    Post subject: Re: Puppy on a Computer With No OS  

Dande wrote:
If I boot Puppy from a CD on a computer with no OS can the sf file be saved to disk? and if so how do I access it to save a backup copy?

Yes you can because puppy is an OS Wink
Access by running puppy
Using puppy you can try stupid things, too.
Dande

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2012, 15:12    Post subject:  

This comp is restricted to boot from a CD or the HD only - odd MB - can't change the boot options. Don't have a DVD on this particular comp. I agree a DVD would be better. Maybe a whole different comp?

But I don't see how there is room on a CD. Here is what I found and it makes no sense to me.

Just using the Slacko 533 looking at the properties of the CD that I burned from the ISO I get 115 MB used and NO MB Free! But the CD is rated for 700 MB. Where did all the xtry space go?

Not only that but the files I did copy to Flash from the HD were:
Slacko 533 2fs - 512MB
and Slacko 533 sfs - 109MB.

That's 621 MB. Plus the original 115 is 736 MB. Plus I sposed the .2fs would grow with time? Have I gone off the deep end here? Something tells me I'm a bit wide of the mark.
dk60902

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2012, 15:26    Post subject:  

This may be of help:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/MultiSessionLiveDVD

`f00

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2012, 18:18    Post subject:
Subject description: wares waldo?

hi Dande

I'm mainly with Flash on this - with optical storage on disc, it's read-only once it's burned (so not much call for running backups). The 'save file' of a multisession is usually a series of savedirs in a layered structure that builds over sessions - if you hit a comfy spot before the disc is full, start going NoSave and all your fresh screwups are forgiven since they're not saved Smile

Definitely the comps RAM is a factor - especially if you load other specialized sfs files like for office suites, wine, a devX (if you do that sort of thing), personal sfs and so on. If you need more, you can do a swap partition/file for linux on the hdd (preferred) or a thumbdrive (for if you only need it rarely).

Absolutely set up browsers, file managers and anything that caches to dump the cache so it doesn't pile up in gigundus globs of whatever. Using thumbnails in rox file manager is a simple example - unless you clear the thumbnails (options->thumbnails, clear), they are saved and eat up space in a savedir and also RAM.

But that's multisession. If you did burn your liveCD 'normal', then it's basically a boot cd and 'full' at roughly 115 mb since it's closed.

Here's some stuff to osmose when you have a moment or so Wink
Dande

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2012, 20:42    Post subject:  

I used the cdburner from the sight suggested above and came up with lots of room on the CD. I then did the save to the CD. So it's basically all squared away. At this point I prefer the save to HD. That might change.

Thanx.
`f00

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2012, 22:17    Post subject:
Subject description: de nada

native tools &etc

filesystem->gdmap - see what's eating space on (mounted) filesystems

multimedia->burniso2cd - make more dogs Wink
(pburn can do this as well, plus it can blank rw media for recycle)

Keep your savefile slim and healthy .. recommended concepts for the tidy folk

yvw, gl&hf…
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: