Schoolux... The offline enviroment for learing programming

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
L18L

Re: Schoolux... The offline enviroment for learing programming

#16 Post by L18L »

To answer one of your questions:
Atle wrote:...I just read about BaCon and understand that can be used directly to change or develop Puppy. Yet I do not know if that goes for 5.2.8, or if its just for Wary?...
BaCon is not restricted to puppy, just one way to change or develop puppy see http://www.puppylinux.com/howto/programming.htm

python: dive into python, a free python book:
Distribute it on CD-ROM? Feel free. quoted from
http://www.diveintopython.net/ :D

Downloading JoomlaOnPuppy-Alpha.iso now

Atle

#17 Post by Atle »

Hi L18L

Thanks for downloading and testing it out.

I just came to the conclusion that it might be better and more easy to "tank" up suggested content etc online and then download it and add it to the CD, remaster it once a week or so and upload it for development purposes.

The initial idea was to attract resource persons through having some smash hit Joomla Live CD, but I am moving away from that idea.

So I must restructure the entire website and rethink things a bit.

I think I shall try to find one or two really dedicated Joomla guys or girls that has a good overview of the whitepapers for Joomla.

As for Dive into Python its interesting not only as content, but also HOW the content is presented as they have files in several formats and as the target is to have as much GOOD content as possible, its important to find a balance between usability and how much space the file(s) like Dive into Python" acquires.

So after looking a bit at the formats and downloading it, it might just look like plain HTML might be the better choice as pure text seemed a bit hard to work on, thinking from a end user perspective.

Plain HTML is not the most light format, but sure is good looking and easy to maneuver etc.

I think Dive into Python and BaCon will be the two candidates for me to structure this and the only focus for the next weeks, until a new version is ready WITH that implemented.

I might even consider to go outside the initial plan to leave the Joomla as it is and maybe add Wordpress, Drupal and/or others for the PHP/HTML/CSS part... And just organize the rest as a part of Puppy and not INSIDE the Joomla(as Dive into Python etc.

Thanks for your input and tip on the Dive into Python. Please feel free to give some feedback on your experience with the JoonlaOnPuppy... Note that there is Akeeba Backup present, so if you make anything nice and want to use it, sell it or whatever, you can just make a backup in ZIP format and upload it to any Joomla capable server and install it as a new Joomla, but with your twist and content...

Pelo

Puppy in Africa : for every purpose

#18 Post by Pelo »

In Africa, they dont know Puppy Linux. Take profit of the web to inform them by joining their forums;

Atle

#19 Post by Atle »

After spending some years there, there are a few that does know Puppy and uses it, but nearly a drop in the ocean.

To penetrate such a Windows dominated continent requires a good overall strategy that ranges across several methods, whereas being present on forums is one possibility.

The challenge there is that downloading Puppy is a large cost as most people are on "paid pr mb" mobile internet connections.

Right now this project is nothing more than a NGO in Tanzania, with nothing much more happening than me planning to make a comeback soon:-)

GustavoYz

#20 Post by GustavoYz »

Atle

#21 Post by Atle »

yes:-(