What is the best puplet for my Dell Optiplex GX1

Using applications, configuring, problems
bark_bark_bark

What is the best puplet for my Dell Optiplex GX1

#1 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I want to know where I can find a good puplet for my Dell Optiplex GX1. I need one that:

-can run on 128MB RAM
-is very newish
-very stable

I thought about these though:

-Akita - is very newish, but is not 100% stable yet
-Wary 5.3 - that's what failed me, by making the kernel panic

Any Suggestions

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

Your system can handle a lot more than 128mb!

Specs here --> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s ... /specs.htm

You have three RAM slots. You need three of these --
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-or-One-SDRA ... 2c5c5c2422

That should cost you $17.85, and shipping is free for those.

Quite honestly, I'd send you some myself... but I threw out my PC100 sticks a month or two ago...

As for OS, Puplite5 or Akita (which I hear *is* pretty stable now, sc0ttman tells me the only reason it's still got the 'beta' designation is cuz he doesn't quite know what to do with it after taking the label off...) would be your best bet.

I don't know why, but people here will recommend ClassicPup a lot, I don't -- speed is the name of the game and ClassicPup loses to Puplite5 hands down.

bark_bark_bark

#3 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I'm broke right now, I blew off my money on Doom II & Final Doom (from Steam)

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

Then get Puplite5. It probably won't "run", but you should get at least a slow walk out of it ;)

Those specs are way low. If it's alright with you, I can ask around in a couple places, see if I can get you some free (or close-to-free) upgrades... although Slot 1 stuff is a little hard to find in this century ;) I've actually got a Slot 1 CPU but it wouldn't help you because it's the same exact type and speed! (P3 450MHz)

...I can also look around for a socketed P3 chip and a thing called a "slocket" -- when Intel switched from Slot 1 to Socket 370 for their CPUs, companies made adapters which let you put a Socket chip into a Slot motherboard. Hence, slocket.

So hopefully you would get a Slocket, a better processor, and some RAM... LMK if you want to do this (or not) and I'll see what I can do.