Tell me how exactly this usb filesystem thingy works

Booting, installing, newbie
RisunEtsijä

Tell me how exactly this usb filesystem thingy works

#1 Post by RisunEtsijä »

I recently got a used pc tablet and decided to use puppy linux as the operating system due to it's low system requirements.

as I understand it, you have to first boot puppy linux from cd, then when you shutdown you need to save your settings on a usb drive. Is this just system preferences and not downloaded programs, music files, video files etc? or must I get another drive to store my music, video and game files?

Your time is appreciated, help eradicate the noob race, one at a time, start with me

EDIT: In addition, if 2 separate usb drives will be used, what is a a drive space for the os that will give generous headroom for the os?

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

There are several ways to run and install Puppy.
Running from a live Puppy CD/DVD:
Saving to a USB drive is one way.
You can also save to the hard drive.
Save to the CD/DVD (if it was made multi-session).

Puppy can be run and installed several ways.
Live CD/DVD with save file located on some type of data storage device.
Frugal install to some type of bootable storage device. (hard drive, USB flash drive, etc...)
Full install to hard drive. (does not use save file)

The save file is used to store anything that is done. Setting changes, normal installing of programs, downloaded data, etc...
You can store stuff in locations outside the save file. /mnt/home is a good location outside save file.
Data in general can be stored on any device that is a usable storage device.

Maybe this info will help you.
Various ways to install puppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302

Here is a Puppy specific Google search:
http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

Er, since you weren't exactly specific about what exact tablet you have, I'm assuming it's one of those laptop-tablet "convertibles" with the fancy hinge on the screen. I've got one (an HP Compaq tc4200). I've never used it as a tablet, though... that hinge makes me nervous.

Here's what I would recommend for you...

(1) Download a Puppy. There are many on this forum, and then there are the two "official" Puppies (Slacko and Racy). Note that all puppies get more-or-less the same amount of support from the community (which you are now a part of). If you have a nice laptop (made in the past 3-5 years), you should have no troubles with Slacko Puppy. If it's between 5-10 years old, get Racy Puppy. If you have anything older (Pentium M, 4-M, 4, or 3 CPUs) get Puplite 5.0 off this forum, or try Akita Linux (also on this forum). Note that NTFS filesystem (WinXP/Vista/7) support is a little buggy on Akita. If you've got a Pentium 2 or earlier system, congratulations, you've got something a little too flimsy to really run Puppy, although you can operate Puplite 5.0 at a slow walk if you really want to...

All Puppies come in at least one flavor, the "ISO file". This is a "bitwise copy" of a CD, also called a CD Image. It is essentially a photograph of what the CD looks like to the computer, when it is first made -- when you burn an ISO to CD (correctly) you are making a photocopy of sorts onto the CD so that the image and the disc look the same to the computer.

(2) Get unetbootin --> http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
There are three gigantic blue buttons on that webpage, pick the one that matches your *current* OS.

(3) Get a flash drive. 2gig is more than enough for flirting with Puppy. More (to a point) is handy... if you decide to use Puppy permanently, install to HDD or look into external HDDs and/or SSDs (depending on how much money you have and want to spend -- SSDs are extremely fast but extremely expensive).

(4) Plug in your flash drive. Run Unetbootin, select the flash drive and ISO file (don't change any other options, you neither need nor want them to be anything but default) and let Unetbootin do its thing.

(5) You need one more bit of knowledge. There is a key on that tablet's keyboard somewhere that brings up a one-time boot menu... on ASUS Eee PCs it's ESC, other places it's usually F12. Post your model and I'll tell you what key you want.

(6) Reboot and IMMEDIATELY start repeatedly hammering on that boot-menu key. You want to hit it at least 4x/sec. When a text menu pops up that asks you to select your boot device, you can stop hammering. Use the arrow keys and ENTER key to select your flash drive. (If you can't boot from USB flash, try USB HDD. If it only lets you boot from CD or Floppy, or their USB forms, things get a little more complicated.)

...obviously if you get a Windows logo screen, you didn't hammer fast enough. Hold down Ctrl and Alt at the same time and punch Del. This will reboot you again. (You will get a "Windows didn't start properly last time" screen next time you try to boot it; that can be ignored and Windows will start properly just fine.)

(7) Let Puppy boot. If you've fast fingers, then at the Puppy logo screen type "puppy pfix=ram" and hit ENTER. Leave off the quote marks (") there or it'll mess up and you'll have to reboot and try again.

(8) Play with your new Puppy.

...I hope that helps. Note that this is NOT an exhaustive set of instructions!

pemasu

#4 Post by pemasu »

Ja voit kokeilla suomen kieltäkin. Tiedän jotakin Puppy Linuxista. Laita vaikka pm meiliä eli tätä forumin meiliä minulle suomeksi, jos haluat äidinkieltä käyttää mieluummin.

Frugal install on siis Puppy oma asennustapa. Full install on perinteinen linux asennustapa, kuten oikeastaan suurin osa muista linux-käyttiksistä asennetaan full install tapaan kovalevyasennuksena.

Jaa että mikä on paras tapa. Frugal install tyyppinen asennus aika helppo. Voit tehdä asennuksen usb tikulle valmiiksi boottavalla tikulla millä vaan koneella. Helpointa se on koneella joka boottaa Puppy Linux cd:ltä. Kaikki Puppy Linuxit tarjoavat valmiina apuohjelmat usb-tikun asennukseen boottivalikoineen, kun boottaat cd:ltä käyttiksen. Sitten vaan esiasennetty tikku siihen tablet pc:hen.

Tässä näitä ohjeita siis alkajaisiksi suomeksi.

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

Er, pemasu, did you forget to turn off the universal translator...?

pemasu

#6 Post by pemasu »

Nope. the forum name is pure finnish. It means stickseeker in english. I am quite confident he understands finnish. If not....you could try translating my post....lol.

starhawk

#7 Post by starhawk »

:oops: My Americanness is showing again, it seems...

Karl Godt

#8 Post by Karl Godt »

And you can try Finnish knowing the language. I know one of the Puppy Linux. Put even Meilian pm, or this forum Meilian me in Finnish, if you prefer to use the native language.

Frugal install Puppy is therefore your own method of installation. Full install linux installation is the traditional way, as in fact most of the other linux-käyttiksistä installed full install kovalevyasennuksena way.

Share the best way. Frugal install type of installation time is easy. To install usb flash drive pre-boot in a match in which a machine. It is the easiest machine to boot Puppy Linux from the cd. All Puppy Linuxit ready to offer utilities usb-stick installation boottivalikoineen when boottaat cd käyttiksen. Then just esiasennetty stick to the tablet PC.

Here, therefore, to start off with these instructions in Finnish.
Google translate . I assumed some eastern baltic language . Finnish really has no resemblence to any other european language i have seen . While german, english and danish&swedish&norwegian have some core in common, finnish is totally different than swedish .
Og du kan prøve finsk kende sproget. Jeg kender en af ​​Puppy Linux. Sæt selv Meilian pm, eller dette forum Meilian mig på finsk, hvis du foretrækker at bruge modersmålet.

Frugal install Puppy er derfor din egen metode til installation. Fuld installere Linux installation er den traditionelle måde, som faktisk de fleste af de andre linux-käyttiksistä installeret komplet installation kovalevyasennuksena måde.

Del den bedste måde. Frugal installation type installation tid er let. Sådan installerer usb-flashdrev pre-boot i en kamp, hvor en maskine. Det er den nemmeste maskine at starte Puppy Linux fra cd. Alle Puppy Linuxit klar til at tilbyde forsyningsvirksomheder usb-stick installation boottivalikoineen når boottaat cd käyttiksen. Så skal du bare esiasennetty stick til Tablet PC'en.

Her derfor at starte med disse instruktioner i finsk.
Thats danish which i would understand 80% .
:wink:

Naturally disabling usb would mean to install Puppy to USB, boot the tablet with the usb and install Puppy from the usb to the internal HDD/SSD inside windows or an empty partition . Windows of course can disable external usb cos it is inside .

pemasu,
Mr. Thorwald's finnisch, so how comes Win is so popular there ?

RisunEtsijä

#9 Post by RisunEtsijä »

Karl Godt wrote:
Naturally disabling usb would mean to install Puppy to USB, boot the tablet with the usb and install Puppy from the usb to the internal HDD/SSD inside windows or an empty partition . Windows of course can disable external usb cos it is inside .
In my other thread I meant to disable all other usb ports than the one i'm using for my ''Mini-HDD''
Karl Godt wrote:
...pemasu,
Mr. Thorwald's finnisch, so how comes Win is so popular there ?
I know that was directed at pemasu, but it's because Finns are suckers for 'Murika and because the fat meatpie eating finn boys cant leave their Win because of gaming.

Anyway, Thanks everyone for your contributions, I'm going to see if either booting from usb works, and if not, use the frugal install. I don't want to get involved with a cd, because I get nightmares from the spinning sounds.

RisunEtsijä

#10 Post by RisunEtsijä »

pemasu wrote:Ja voit kokeilla suomen kieltäkin. Tiedän jotakin Puppy Linuxista. Laita vaikka pm meiliä eli tätä forumin meiliä minulle suomeksi, jos haluat äidinkieltä käyttää mieluummin.

Frugal install on siis Puppy oma asennustapa. Full install on perinteinen linux asennustapa, kuten oikeastaan suurin osa muista linux-käyttiksistä asennetaan full install tapaan kovalevyasennuksena.

Jaa että mikä on paras tapa. Frugal install tyyppinen asennus aika helppo. Voit tehdä asennuksen usb tikulle valmiiksi boottavalla tikulla millä vaan koneella. Helpointa se on koneella joka boottaa Puppy Linux cd:ltä. Kaikki Puppy Linuxit tarjoavat valmiina apuohjelmat usb-tikun asennukseen boottivalikoineen, kun boottaat cd:ltä käyttiksen. Sitten vaan esiasennetty tikku siihen tablet pc:hen.

Tässä näitä ohjeita siis alkajaisiksi suomeksi.
Joo hauska tavata Suomalaisii täällä 'murikan kielenoleilusta netistä.

EDITTI: MUN SLACKO .ISO LATASI! Soitan Amerikkhalaista mahtavaa elokuva laulua kohottaa jännitystä

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWnmCu3U09w

RisunEtsijä

#11 Post by RisunEtsijä »

starhawk wrote:Er, since you weren't exactly specific about what exact tablet you have, I'm assuming it's one of those laptop-tablet "convertibles" with the fancy hinge on the screen. I've got one (an HP Compaq tc4200). I've never used it as a tablet, though... that hinge makes me nervous.

Here's what I would recommend for you...

(1) Download a Puppy. There are many on this forum, and then there are the two "official" Puppies (Slacko and Racy). Note that all puppies get more-or-less the same amount of support from the community (which you are now a part of). If you have a nice laptop (made in the past 3-5 years), you should have no troubles with Slacko Puppy. If it's between 5-10 years old, get Racy Puppy. If you have anything older (Pentium M, 4-M, 4, or 3 CPUs) get Puplite 5.0 off this forum, or try Akita Linux (also on this forum). Note that NTFS filesystem (WinXP/Vista/7) support is a little buggy on Akita. If you've got a Pentium 2 or earlier system, congratulations, you've got something a little too flimsy to really run Puppy, although you can operate Puplite 5.0 at a slow walk if you really want to...

All Puppies come in at least one flavor, the "ISO file". This is a "bitwise copy" of a CD, also called a CD Image. It is essentially a photograph of what the CD looks like to the computer, when it is first made -- when you burn an ISO to CD (correctly) you are making a photocopy of sorts onto the CD so that the image and the disc look the same to the computer.

(2) Get unetbootin --> http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
There are three gigantic blue buttons on that webpage, pick the one that matches your *current* OS.

(3) Get a flash drive. 2gig is more than enough for flirting with Puppy. More (to a point) is handy... if you decide to use Puppy permanently, install to HDD or look into external HDDs and/or SSDs (depending on how much money you have and want to spend -- SSDs are extremely fast but extremely expensive).

(4) Plug in your flash drive. Run Unetbootin, select the flash drive and ISO file (don't change any other options, you neither need nor want them to be anything but default) and let Unetbootin do its thing.

(5) You need one more bit of knowledge. There is a key on that tablet's keyboard somewhere that brings up a one-time boot menu... on ASUS Eee PCs it's ESC, other places it's usually F12. Post your model and I'll tell you what key you want.

(6) Reboot and IMMEDIATELY start repeatedly hammering on that boot-menu key. You want to hit it at least 4x/sec. When a text menu pops up that asks you to select your boot device, you can stop hammering. Use the arrow keys and ENTER key to select your flash drive. (If you can't boot from USB flash, try USB HDD. If it only lets you boot from CD or Floppy, or their USB forms, things get a little more complicated.)

...obviously if you get a Windows logo screen, you didn't hammer fast enough. Hold down Ctrl and Alt at the same time and punch Del. This will reboot you again. (You will get a "Windows didn't start properly last time" screen next time you try to boot it; that can be ignored and Windows will start properly just fine.)

(7) Let Puppy boot. If you've fast fingers, then at the Puppy logo screen type "puppy pfix=ram" and hit ENTER. Leave off the quote marks (") there or it'll mess up and you'll have to reboot and try again.

(8) Play with your new Puppy.

...I hope that helps. Note that this is NOT an exhaustive set of instructions!
ARRRGGGHHHHH when itry to boot from usb drive I get ''error loading operating system''. I tried booting from cd and the darn thing cant boot from it. I don't know, but could it be because I have no hdd installed?

Karl Godt

#12 Post by Karl Godt »

Dunno , does the USB drive boot on other computer(s) ? Is it a Pen or an USB-HDD ? Is booting by USB possible, enabled in the BIOS and probably set as first boot device before the internal HD ? Do you have a F2 key to press to select a boot menu ?

starhawk

#13 Post by starhawk »

Did you use Unetbootin (which should work), or just drop the ISO onto the drive (which won't work)?

Make/model of this system, so I can look up specs?

EDIT: just to be clear... if your tablet PC came with Android on it, that'll be the problem -- Android systems as a general rule are a whole different family of hardware that is more-or-less Puppy-incompatible. The exception to this is the Raspberry Pi and IIRC sometimes the MK802 PC-on-a-stick.

Generally speaking, "tablet" PCs that run Windows are not the same design, but rather the "laptop with a fancy hinge" or "convertible" (as I like to call them) design where the screen can do a merry dance and fold down to cover the keyboard. These generally ARE compatible with Puppy, dependent of course on RAM and CPU capabilities.

Missing hard drive alone should not and in my experience does not cause the error you are describing. I'm beginning to suspect you've got an Android tablet, as I've encountered exactly one PC in my life that couldn't boot from a CD drive -- and technically even that one could, just that it had to be a specific make and model drive from the PC manufacturer.

pemasu

#14 Post by pemasu »

Missing hdd is not a problem. Kernels in all Puppies has the needed usb drivers compiled in the kernel, not as modules. That enables booting without hdd. If you download recent Puppy, whatever version, it should boot without problem.

Knowing your tablet pc model might help guessing. And Karl Godt`s advice that you test your cd and usb media in an other windows pc would guarantee that they are bootable. After that we know that the problem lies in your tablet pc.

The knowledge of your tablet pc cpu processor is also essential. It need to be compatible with Puppies.

RisunEtsijä

#15 Post by RisunEtsijä »

My tablet pc is a fujitsu lifebook t1010

It is made for windows xp tablet edition, so it should work, because it is a computer with just a touch screen. I really bet theres something wonky with the .iso?

I downloaded the iso from this link http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... g-SCSI.iso

Which is from the puppylinux.org latest release page.

All pc's I've tried to run the .iso get the same error message: ''ERROR LOADING OPERATING SYSTEM''

This is also on my main pc, which I am writing from now, which had a very trouble free ubuntu installation using the same kind of dvd disks I am using for my puppy linux installation: DVD-R; with the same dvd burning software, which is win 7's own dvd image burning software.
One really strange thing is that the .iso had no trouble playing on my Oracle VirtualBox.

What could be wrong?

Karl Godt

#16 Post by Karl Godt »

Burner settings .
Maybe it has been a long time since you burned something the last time .
And burn to blank dvds and not burn(aka copy) to udf formatted dvds .
Ubuntu should have brassero i think to burn disks .
Also do a

Code: Select all

md5sum /path/to/puppy-5.3.3.iso
from inside ubuntu to check if all files were downloaded . Recently we have had that on Macpup which uses a slightly different bootloader for the DVD (grub) the menu.lst file was empty . The dl was slightly to short, not by much so did not showed up with a different file size in the explorer .

pemasu

#17 Post by pemasu »

And dont burn it as file, you need to burn it as iso image or something similar. When you get working, bootable cd created, then we can continue.

Checking md5sum of the downloaded iso is essential. Bad download is frequent source of non-bootable OS.

RisunEtsijä

#18 Post by RisunEtsijä »

pemasu wrote:And dont burn it as file, you need to burn it as iso image or something similar. When you get working, bootable cd created, then we can continue.

Checking md5sum of the downloaded iso is essential. Bad download is frequent source of non-bootable OS.
I burned it with the win 7 .iso download tool. It turns out that using nluug.nl for the .iso actually worked. I got the .iso from nluug.nl to work on a cd, I will install it to the usb to see if it will work.

starhawk

#19 Post by starhawk »

Pemasu's right. You probably had a bad download. I use hashmyfiles in Windows to check the MD5sum against what it should be, or to generate an MD5sum for those all-day "does your mother know you're playin' linux dev" sessions...

RisunEtsijä

#20 Post by RisunEtsijä »

starhawk wrote:Pemasu's right. You probably had a bad download. I use hashmyfiles in Windows to check the MD5sum against what it should be, or to generate an MD5sum for those all-day "does your mother know you're playin' linux dev" sessions...
Yea, the weird thing is that I downloaded the .iso two times from biblio.org, I wonder if the server hates me.