Very obscure Firefox 14/15 setting or bug

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Karl Godt

#16 Post by Karl Godt »

pemasu wrote:Hmmm. Interesting. It could be even savefile corruption which is behind this.
I get savefile problems infrequently with transmission. Even though I download the big video file outside of the savefile, sometimes savefile has been still eaten away. I have even tried to hunt if there is some big file lurking somewhere. None of file size listings in command line show anything big enough to eat 1 Gb savefile away. It is just eaten away. Got that one with the savefile I am using now. 900 Mb was eaten during download. This problem has followed me infrequently non dependent of Transmission version. Sometimes curious things just happens....like problem with savefile. That is one reason I dont use same savefile very long.
Lobster has reported same problem some time ago with Transmission and Puppy.
I would check /tmp then if the program makes a second file as immediate parallel backup there .

Shep

#17 Post by Shep »

On the continual erosion of savefile free space......

I have preferences set to not report Crashes. Nevertheless, I just noticed a directory /root/.mozilla/firefox/Crash_Reports/pending which has 1250 files, half of them ~72kB. In one I read:

Code: Select all

EMCheckCompatibility=true
ProductName=Firefox
Vendor=Mozilla
InstallTime=1343055668
Theme=classic/1.0
Notes=GLXtest process failed (exited with status 1): GLX version older than the required 1.3\n\n
Version=14.0.1 <etc>
Erasing these unwanted reports will free up more than 80MB.

Shep

#18 Post by Shep »

Karl Godt wrote:

mksquashfs /root/.mozilla /root/mozilla-quarantaine-2012-09-11.sfs
would backup your .mozilla directory into a clickable .sfs , not loadable .sfs .
Then run

rm -rf /root/.mozilla
to delete the .mozilla directory .
Then run

firefox 
to create everything new .
I hesitated to try this, not understanding exactly what it would do. But finally I gave it a go; it didn't work. and then I couldn't get the sfs loader to restore it.

So I started all over, creating a new savefile. As expected, grooveshark and facebook both work again with the new savefile. I downloaded just two add-ons, add blocker and a download helper, and restarted firefox to install them.

I had grooveshark playing in the background while I read through posts in this forum. I activated add blocker to get rid of that flash add at the top of the screen, and grooveshark stopped playing. I returned to the grooveshark tab and it has turned into that text rendering, non-functional screen. Image Disabling the add-ons does not restore grooveshark to a functioning state; it looks like I'm going to have to start over yet again — apparently the damage has been done. So I think I might be narrowing down the problem, looks like an add-on incompatability.

Shep

#19 Post by Shep »

Follow-up: I believe I have identified the cause, in a word it's the file /etc/hosts. Image

Rather than try and identify which one of the thousands of those junk URLs is demanded by facebook, I just rename that file prior to going to facebook (about twice a month), then rename it back once I'm there.