How to clone a multisession DVD?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
fresnofred

How to clone a multisession DVD?

#1 Post by fresnofred »

after great trial and effort i have finally produced a dvd that contains about 6 save folders that are loaded each time i boot. how do i make a bootable iso image that i could offer for distribution?

musher0

Re: How to clone a multisession DVD?

#2 Post by musher0 »

fresnofred wrote:after great trial and effort i have finally produced a dvd that contains about 6 save folders that are loaded each time i boot. how do i make a bootable iso image that i could offer for distribution?
Hi.

I hope I got your meaning right. This is what I'd do:

Start by using the usual "remaster" utility?
In the main menu it's under:
Menu -> Configs -> Remaster Puppy (the wording might be slightly different from one Puppy to the next).

The various software(s) your folders contain will be "remixed" in a regular single sfs and then made up into an iso file if you like.

TWYL.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

No, you don't want to put more than one distro in the same .sfs
The .sfs is actually supposed to be loaded into ram if there is enough...
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Les Kerf

#4 Post by Les Kerf »

I use the method that Flash showed us:

Boot with the Puppy DVD you wish to clone, then,

Go to Menu>Multimedia>BurnIso2cd

Then, put a new DVD in the burner, and burn the fresh DVD with the ISO used to make your original disc.

Now, with the freshly burned DVD still in the drive, click on the Save icon on your desktop. Puppy will then burn all of your save folders into one new save folder on the new disc. When it is used for booting, you will have exactly the same Puppy system running with all of your saved files, etc.

Take out the new DVD, put in another blank DVD, and repeat the above steps as many times as you like.

Les

`f00

#5 Post by `f00 »

hi fresnofred

Cloning via the swap-disc method is fine for personal use.

If you plan to redistribute your pup, it may be better to remaster (this usually takes out all your personal info with remaster2 and leaves all added packages in the new iso as a 'fresh' pup). You may want to 'preset' some configs, so examine the given /tmp/root and modify if desired. Make it generic hardware-wise since you'll probably have a variety of machines being redistributed to. Give it a test run on another computer to see if it works as expected..

hth & good luck remastering :)

gcmartin

Remaster has presented troublesome issues in its use in PUPs

#6 Post by gcmartin »

This problem (and it is a problem) arises from no clear directions for generating an ISO from your running system.

Don't get me wrong, as several of the community members have made good contributions, but, our problems exist in a clear definition/steps/guides/documentation of what we will start with (including how the system is booted) to what steps are necessary for a "recreation" of Puppy into an all-inclusive DVD.

Running the "remaster" tool (as I reported in another thread before) does NOT recreate the system via the 20-30 screens that emerge as you try to "guess" the steps to take from one screen to another.

Further, I truly understand that the creator of some of the tools have taken into account the options they provide, but, this tool use is built on their experience versus requesting user input for a remaster tool.

I must say, that I have not used all the tools that are present in Puppyland, but, for the couple I have, I have NOT had any initial success in OOTB use of the tools.

Further, in the layout of the tool(s) I have used, I undrestand why so many have had trouble in their use.

I propose that someone in the community stop generating this unforgiving wizard approach and adopt a forms approach. An example of a forms approach is what BarryK and Shinobar have done with FirstRUN. Here they present the user with all of the questions positioned in a logical form. The user answers all appropriate questions and clicks a single button to have the total process complete applicable processing to user satisfaction.

Maybe others who have developed forms based applications understand the advantage of such an approach. This is why software development progressed from the DOS-based one question at a time wizard to the Windows-based forms approach in the Microsoft and Apple world.

Not being a Linux developer, I could be speaking out of turn, because the development tools that Puppy is standardize on may be the reason why developers in Puppy have little options except to only develop DOS-like approach in the Remaster tool we have.

I wish I could offer some clear crisp direction to this, but each time I think I've got it, I find how wrong I was.

I do have a document showing the 20-odd screens using a remaster tool in one of the distros. But, in reviewing what I thought was a good ISO, I find that SAMBA will not start in the remaster ISO, where is operates properly in the original DVD with its Save-Session. This is just one bad example of several others I have done of which some I've written about.

We need a user friendly document AND we need a simple user approach.

Example: Since many have asked in the past about remastering a running system, why not have a single screen which says If you want REMASTER to recreate your running system as it stands, simple put in the DVD or point me to the ISO, and I will generate your system with ALL OF ITS FILES into a single ISO for you....takes about 30 minutes!" <=== How about that for a Remaster of a running system?

I really don't want to give up on a simple idea for something that (for obvious reason) is complicated. But, I view that if the running system has everything (all necessary files, applications, subsystems, and system needs) why must the remaster tool presented be so unforgiving and so "un-intuitive".

If anyone knows of such a simple Puppy tool, please, please share it with the rest of us. Further, if someone has a "Please read this if you want to remaster" which has good clear steps for us to follow, please share that too. For me, a guide or a clear form, either can be extremely useful. If we have a form somewhere, I will volunteer to collaborate and write a simple guide

Here to help

disciple

#7 Post by disciple »

disciple wrote:No, you don't want to put more than one distro in the same .sfs
The .sfs is actually supposed to be loaded into ram if there is enough...
Oh, sorry. I may have got this confused with another thread. I thought you were talking about making a multiboot cd, with a choice of more than one distro on it.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER