Linkx (links2 with Tabs)

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
hexabit

Linkx (links2 with Tabs)

#1 Post by hexabit »

Well i just looove links and links2.
I hate flash and that i have to use tools like Noscript and Flashblock etc.

99% of my browsingtime i use links with the -g flag to enable graphics mode.
Even Gmail works great in links. Google will ask you if you will try the more faster "html style" version,

The one thing i realy missed in links was the tabs. Didn't like to open links i new windows and with no X, running framebuffer-mode it's just impossible.

Well here it is. Links with tabs "Linkx".
I had some trouble compiling in puppy at first, but it worked out when i hacked the configurefile to choose libjpeg=yes no matter i my version
was wrong or not :)

This package works in Slacko and if anyone could try it in other versions
that would be great. And some feedback please, Would be great to know
if its works on other computers ;)

Have fun!

http://www.codeland.se/linkx-2.2.6-i486.pet
[b]My Pet packages:[/b] [url]http://www.codeland.se/pup_pplog.pl?viewDetailed=00010[/url]

Keef

#2 Post by Keef »

Hello hexabit,

Your pet is a little larger than it needs to be. There are two copies of links in it - /usr/bin/ and /usr/local/bin/

Can't get it to run on Wary 5.3 :
Missing libpng14.so.14 and libvga.so.1

Wary has libpng12.

Does this run in graphics mode in the framebuffer? I've compiled links (and linkx) to death with no success trying to achieve that, but it always complains about gpm, even though it is installed and running. Managed it with directFB, but not plain framebuffer.

hexabit

#3 Post by hexabit »

Hi keef! :)

Two copies of links. Thats was happening when you are almost asleep and trying to make a package. hehehe

I will correct it right now and upload it again.

I haven't tried framebuffer mode in Puppt yet but it should work do i used
the same settings from when i compiled in Ubuntu, and that worked fine.

I'm gonna install a virtual Wary 5.3 tomorrow and compile it again.
Would be great if i could get it to run on all puppy versions :)
I will upload the Wary version for you tomorrow.

Thank you for your feedback!

Cheers!

*edit* Btw. If i remember it correctly you could choose to not enable gpm,
(--enable-gpm=no, disable-gpm or something like that) and get it to run. You will not be able to use a mouse but at least it will run :)
[b]My Pet packages:[/b] [url]http://www.codeland.se/pup_pplog.pl?viewDetailed=00010[/url]

Keef

#4 Post by Keef »

I've compiled and installed libpng14 and svgalib and now it works!!
Complains about the libjpeg version but runs anyway. It has a working mouse (this is without X) and gpm wasn't running. It did freeze when I tried to quit though. I have rebooted and started gpm, and am posting from it now, so don't know yet if it will lock up again.
By the way... Wary does not have framebuffer enabled by default, I recompiled the kernel for that. Still, I am quite pleased to get the graphics running in the framebuffer. I wasted far too much time trying to achieve this previously.

EDIT - no, still freezes when trying to quit. This is in framebuffer mode, it exits cleanly under X.
Also tried it with Akita Beta11:
Again, needed libpng14 and svgalib. This time it completely objected to not having libjpeg8, but there is a pet in Akita's repo, so easily solved.
gpm not running but still got mouse in the framebuffer - also got a system freeze when trying to exit - ok under X though.
[EDIT No.2] I could never get Links to compile with the FB as a driver unless gpm was present - I had tried svgalib, but it could never find it. Just discovered it was because I was missing the header files (from svgalib-dev), durrr...
svgalib provides a mouse too.
Anyway got it to compile under Akita and is running on the framebuffer with graphics. Now, can I exit without rebooting??.....

hexabit

#5 Post by hexabit »

Hello again Keef!

I'm glad that it worked out well for you. Now all we need is a framebuffer pdf-reader, Rdesktop-client. Then we could skip X and run our boxes in lightspeed mode. :D

I have a framebuffer vnc-client in my old ubuntu box. Maybe i could compile
it in Puppy. I will try it later today or tomorrow.

L18L

Re: Linkx (links2 with Tabs)

#6 Post by L18L »

hexabit wrote:... if anyone could try it in other versions
that would be great. And some feedback please, Would be great to know
if its works on other computers ;)
precise 5.3.93

# ./links
./links: error while loading shared libraries: libpng14.so.14: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#

there is only libpng12 in precise
A link to libpng12 did not work
# ./links
./links: /usr/lib/libpng14.so.14: version `PNG14_0' not found (required by ./links)
#

Argolance

#7 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
I adopted Links in spite of its (little) defects: it is quite perfect for displaying help files (Puppy Racy 5.3).
I noticed that words of pages are not properly displayed in the title bar if they contain grave, acute... characters. Italic is not taken into account and is displayed as bold. The size of font either...

Cordialement.