Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 21:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Opus Codec - Now In Seamonkey and Firefox
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:58    Post_subject:  Opus Codec - Now In Seamonkey and Firefox  

This relatively new codec will operate in embedded players as well as various other applications and is now included in Seamonkey version 2.12 or later and Firefox 15 or later.

http://opus-codec.org

It reportedly gives very good quality audio and some people are saying that it may catch on (where ogg vorbis should have done, but sadly didn't) and replace mp3 and aac+ as a common streaming format. It is open-source too.

The opus library and development tools packages compile without problems if you wish to install them separately, though the latter did insist that I update libogg to the latest release version which was easy also.

I produced .pet packages of these but am getting a message that my attachment allocation is full or something and that I should contact the board administrator. They are not very big. Maybe each user is only allowed a certain amount of data as attachments in total though I don't think I have uploaded all that much. Perhaps someone can advise on this, otherwise this post is just FYI

ETP

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2012, 14:24    Post_subject: Re: Opus Codec - Now In Seamonkey and Firefox  

Hi OSCARTALKS,

You should perhaps have posted this in Multimedia but an Admin may well move it. Smile

Check your limit boxes in E Mail but I think that there is a 4 Meg limit on post attachments. Most members use a host for anything over a Meg such as:

http://www.datafilehost.com/

The FAQ (top of page) gives info on attachments.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/faq.php#p53

BTW - Not sure you saw my reply to your post here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=648393#648393

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2012, 19:43    Post_subject:  

Hello ETP,

I was a little unsure about where to post. If I had been able to attach the .pets I would have done so in Multimedia but since it ended up as being a bit of a mixture of information and requests about the forum I put it here.

I have posted attachments of up to 2 Megs on the forum before (these are smaller than that), but am wondering if all my attachments count together as a cumulative allowance or something. I have also used datafilehost for some larger .pets but didn't want to do that for these ones. If I am unable to post them directly I will just leave it for now. Not sure how useful the libs are on their own anyway. Thought I would mention about the inclusion of the codec in recent browsers in case users wish to consider updating.

Regarding the other issue, that was on my little netbook and I haven't done anything with it for some time. I appreciate the reply and will probably have a play with it in due course.

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum