BIN Installer?

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
Evil20071

BIN Installer?

#1 Post by Evil20071 »

I recently came across a piece of software I needed for school (Cisco Packet Tracer) that has an Ubuntu .bin installer. After a little toying with it (Had to make the dpkg folders for it) I got it running no problem. However, I really wish there were an easier way to install .bin packages. Anyone got a .bin installer for their puppy, or can we make one?
[url=http://totalelectronics.us]TotalElectronics.us[/url]

TheAsterisk!

Re: BIN Installer?

#2 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Evil20071 wrote:I recently came across a piece of software I needed for school (Cisco Packet Tracer) that has an Ubuntu .bin installer. After a little toying with it (Had to make the dpkg folders for it) I got it running no problem. However, I really wish there were an easier way to install .bin packages. Anyone got a .bin installer for their puppy, or can we make one?
As far as I understand it, a *.bin file is usually just a shell script with an archive (i.e., *.tar.gz or another) tacked on to the end of it, giving you a single installer. That's how a lot of generic binaries are distributed. Ubuntu shouldn't matter, unless the site for the software is question was merely mentioning that they support Ubuntu.

Since they usually unpack and install/alter themselves based upon the instructions in the prepended shell script, and since each one handles itself in different ways, I would imagine it could be a real mess to implement PPM (or another package manager) support for these files.

I'd be glad to be told I'm wrong, though, by someone more capable than I am. :wink:

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

I don't think implementing PPM support would be practical, but I imagine it should be possible to convert them into .pet files using new2dir or something like it, and dir2pet.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER