download speed for installable webbrowsers.

Please post any bugs you have found
william

download speed for installable webbrowsers.

#1 Post by william »

hi, I like to use this distro for quick buy's over the internet,
but when I load the software I usually need to install a webbrowser like FF or Opera so that the login functionality works (dillio is limited).
However each time I boot this distro, the download speed for installing FF or Opera takes around 10 minutes due to the download speed.

can you do one of:
1. increase the download speed for installable software, or
2. include a version of one of these in the ISO

Thanks,
William.

L18L

Re: download speed for installable webbrowsers.

#2 Post by L18L »

william wrote:hi, I like to use this distro for quick buy's over the internet,
but when I load the software I usually need to install a webbrowser like FF or Opera so that the login functionality works (dillio is limited).
However each time I boot this distro, the download speed for installing FF or Opera takes around 10 minutes due to the download speed.

can you do one of:
1. increase the download speed for installable software, or
2. include a version of one of these in the ISO

Thanks,
William.
Hi William,

1. : No we cannot.
2. : Yes we could but

You could make your browser persistent so that you have to download your favorite web browser once and never again
It is very simple:
At shutdown of your first run of puppy you are asked to save
So go through that procedure and at next boot up you do not need to download again that web browser.

Hope that helps

edited:
By the way, this is not a bug but a little help for beginners :)

666philb

#3 Post by 666philb »

hi william

i'm presuming you're using lucid puppy as you mention dillo.

if you click on 'quickpet' then in the preferences choose 'ftp.nluug.nl' as the repository, downloads will be much quicker

but as L18L suggests.... why not make the browser install persistant by creating a savefile.
[/url]
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Dingo

#4 Post by Dingo »

you can store on a portable pen drive this pet package of google-chrome (fully working into Lucid Puppy) I made from deb package downloaded from google 8 I added some script and right icon path to shown icon into menu)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/19/ ... 180.89.pet
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

Karl Godt

#5 Post by Karl Godt »

You can also download the browser, put the archive on a storage media ie usb pendrive, and whenever you boot the CD into ram, attach the USB, click on the appearing icon on the desktop, go to the location of the browser's archive (.pet or .tar.gz ) , click on the icon in the file manager and it should install.

The puppy petget scripts tended to delete archives in /root directory after installing . So it is better to drop them somewhere into /root/Downloads when you download them and then click on them to install these .