problems with the browsers!

Booting, installing, newbie
shoutcrown

#1 Post by shoutcrown »

hello!

I am using slacko 533 in dell latitude c600, and I usually use seamonkey, firefox, and google chrome (all of them were installed through puppy package manager). also i usually have installed: aria2, uget, vlc, unrar, foxit reader, libreoffice, testdisk, cryptkeeper, xtile, prboom, zsnes, gtk-youtube-viewer, rtmpdump, vlc-gtk, etc.

there is no problem searching information using google, yahoo, etc. (I "always" search information), so I didn't realize that there is a problem when I try to search only pictures (for example more than 1024x768), I mean I can advance for a moment (watching some of the pictures), but after that the brower "hung" and I can't advance again (no matter if I wait so long...), also the task bar shows in that moment, that use of ram increase too much and fast.

this problem has happened in full installation as in frugal installation, so I don't know what is the reason.

also I am using ubuntu 10.04.4 lts (with the same programs...) and I never had this problem (this version of ubuntu works very good and trust me I never had such a problem...!)

can anybody tell a solution to fix that problem with the browsers in slacko 533?

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Concerning Firefox:
I assume you are doing this by using Google Images.
If you do a Google search for Firefox hangs using Google images,
there are all kinds of ideas about what is causing problem.
Make sure you have latest version of Firefox 15.0.1
also the task bar shows in that moment, that use of ram increase too much and fast.
Because Puppy runs totally in ram, it is probably the browser cache filling up ram.
For frugal installs, browser cache can fill up the save file. If you move the browser cache outside the save file, it should help. A good place is /mnt/home

For Firefox you could try this:
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tro ... -safe-mode
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Some of the info here may help you.
Keep your savefile slim and healthy
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62110
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

shoutcrown

#4 Post by shoutcrown »

hi bigpup!

I only found a deb package from sourceforge..., unfortunately firefox 15.0.1 still has the same problems... (no matter if I run firefox in safe mode)

anyway thanks!